DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ozzie was not a good hitter

Ozzie once won a Silver Slugger award for the only year that he hit .300. Ozzie hit 0 HRs the year he won a Silver Slugger. Just noting that if anybody ever needs an answer for St. Louis Cardinals Silver Sluggers on a future immaculate grid

Reading Brooks’ Wikipedia last night and I was surprised that he ended up retiring midseason (with a month left in the season). Also he almost ended up on the White Sox, only they wouldn’t commit to him for 1978

19 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Suzuki drop was compared to the Brant Brown drop which happened against… the Brewers

That video feels like it's from another planet - no graphics on the screen whatsoever! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Before Cal, Brooks Robinson was the face of that team and represented the O's and baseball on and off the field.   And not really just Baltimore area pretty much the entire DMV area and even West Virginia as I remember him appearing in a few minor league/little league kids events.

This can't be stated enough.  I was too young to catch Brooks play and this was before Cal was more famous.  But first time seeing Brooks on TV he had this sweet grandpa vibe that I immediately loved.  I know my brother in law was all about their '83 World Series win so I can only imagine how sad he is that Brooks passed.  But yeah it's a pretty sad day around here.

And to tie this into this season it's been pretty wild seeing the Orioles of all teams actually look pretty damn good going into the playoffs.  I'm hoping they don't choke but I'm being as realistic as possible.  Though with Brooks passing you know there's gonna be tons of extra motivation so we'll see how it goes.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And to tie this into this season it's been pretty wild seeing the Orioles of all teams actually look pretty damn good going into the playoffs.  I'm hoping they don't choke but I'm being as realistic as possible. 

On the AL side, the Orioles are the team I’d like to see the Jays avoid for as long as possible. Maybe just because whenever they face off, Mountcastle turns into Barry Bonds.

• Like 1

I remember it being a very short time ago seeing Blue Jays smash the O's more often than not.  Every time I would see the Jays on the schedule I would think "Ah, fuck."  Sometimes there's just a weird reversal of fortune but I still try to keep this mind when they faced each other this season.

Besides, considering Angelos wants to fuck things over next season could lead to a sharp decline again.  It's gotten to the point that his name has reached Voldemort status unless you want to talk with like-minded people about him for a half hour or so.  In the past two months that's happened about five times.  But anyway if he has his way then I sense the Jays will be back to putting on an ass-whoopin' next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Curt Schilling (I know, I know...) revealed on his podcast that Tim Wakefield has an aggressive form of brain cancer.  😕 

It appears to be true but Schilling... because he is a piece of shit... shared it against Wakefield's wishes

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Curt Schilling (I know, I know...) revealed on his podcast that Tim Wakefield has an aggressive form of brain cancer.  😕 

Too bad that form of brain cancer isn't called "Being a Former Teammate of Curt Schilling".

Edited by Contentious C

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Orioles have won the AL East. Tampa will be the first wildcard team. 

Brandon Hyde also just became the first manager since CONNIE MACK (!!) to take his team from 100 losses to 100 wins.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Brandon Hyde also just became the first manager since CONNIE MACK (!!) to take his team from 100 losses to 100 wins.  

The Orioles are the first team EVER to lose 110+ games and then, within 3 years, win 100 games

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in retrospect, it feels like more teams should have played this Monday so that they're not having to figure out how to make up games next Monday

This entire Marlins/Mets series has been a fiasco

The Marlins rallied in the Top of the 9th to go up 2-1 - the umps then called for a rain delay that lasted 3 1/2 hours before the game got suspended.

At one point - it sure as fuck looked like Skip Schumaker was gonna deck the Mets grounds crew chief

So because the Marlins need the game for the Wild Card - the potential for the game to have to be resumed Monday is high

Miami (82-76) is a half-game ahead of the Cubs (82-77), who finish with three games at NL Central champion Milwaukee. The Marlins close with three games at Pittsburgh and would have to return to New York on Monday to complete the game against the Mets if it's needed to determine a postseason spot.

Miami holds the tiebreaker against the Cubs after winning the season series 4-2.

San Diego (79-80) avoided elimination for another night because Miami couldn't finalize a win.

On 9/26/2023 at 3:41 PM, RIPPA said:

Though the team won't officially make an announcement, they will be handing out "Thank You Terry" t-shirts at tomorrow's (Wednesday) game which is Cleveland's last home game of the season

Those shirts actually said "Thank you Tito," as Francona's nickname is his dad's name for some reason.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Orioles are the first team EVER to lose 110+ games and then, within 3 years, win 100 games

And on top of that they announced they'll be staying in Camden Yards for another 30 years which is a HUGE sigh of relief.  I'm sure Angelos will find ways to fuck them but at least he got this one right.

This whole thing is incredibly surreal.  Once they first took over first over Tampa I had this feeling of "What if?"  And seeing it made official last night sure brought the dust in the room.  I'm still maintaining a "making sure I don't forget there's other killer teams looking to win it all" mindset but for now this feels so, so fucking good.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And on top of that they announced they'll be staying in Camden Yards for another 30 years which is a HUGE sigh of relief.  I'm sure Angelos will find ways to fuck them but at least he got this one right.

Well apparently Maryland was able to easily turn down Angelos' request for more land due to agreement they have in place with the Ravens so Angelos Jr really had no other choice but to shut his mouth and accept the deal

• Like 2

Well done Cubs. Lost about every fucking game to the one team you don't want to lose to right now, Arizona, then lost 2 of 3 to fucking Pittsburgh, and then gave away 2 out of 3 games against the Braves.

It's like the Cubs hit 82 wins and were like, ok, yeah, we're good with this result. They are who we thought they were.

Although the biggest winner for the Cubs is Bellinger. That dude is going to get a huge fucking contract next year. Way to go out and show your worth.