DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

And boy, rage quitting is a real thing.

Also waived today - Harrison Bader, Mike Clevinger, Carlos Carrasco, and basically any Angels not named Ohtani or Trout (specifically Lucas Giolito, Matt Moore, Reynaldo López, Hunter Renfroe, Randal Grichuk).

Ostensibly this is to give guys a chance to play for a team making the playoffs and to save a few bucks.

I'm not sure this is a great look.  But here we are.

There really should be an end of August "dump your stuff for other stuff" period. Open up trades for 24 hours for players who made it through waivers in the month of August.

We'll know if this end of month move by the Angels/Yankees/etc is successful if they change the rules for next year. All it takes is some "irrelevant" team gumming up the works claiming a player or two to bring about change.

50 minutes ago, EdA said:

And boy, rage quitting is a real thing.

Also waived today - Harrison Bader, Mike Clevinger, Carlos Carrasco, and basically any Angels not named Ohtani or Trout (specifically Lucas Giolito, Matt Moore, Reynaldo López, Hunter Renfroe, Randal Grichuk).

Ostensibly this is to give guys a chance to play for a team making the playoffs and to save a few bucks.

I'm not sure this is a great look.  But here we are.

The Angels are gonna need corner outfielders.  Like, tonight.

The Giants Alex Cobb lost a no hitter with 2 outs in the 9th

He ended up with a complete game where he threw 131 pitches (the most by a pitcher this season)

• Like 1

shame he didn't get the no-hitter, of course, but in this day and age a Complete Game is rare enough to be worth celebrating in and of itself. Glad Kapler put the algorithm down long enough to let him finish (the 6 run lead had a lot to do with it, I'm sure)

In other news, I would like to make a full disclosure that my CM Punk opinions are officially bought and paid for from this point on

Best In The World

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bryce Harper just hit his 300th career HR as the Angels love giving away leads to the Phillies

Everyone, you mean everyone.

28 1/2 days over the luxury tax and Arte couldn't wait to dump all these guys, ability to actually field a full team be damned.  

Thank God it's football season.  

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

When did MLB get rid of the weird waiver trade system, anyway?

But then the pandemic hit so that threw everything off for a couple of years

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yesterday Houston completed a series sweep of the Red Sox in Boston.

It's the first time in franchise history the Stros do so.

This is one of those stats that sounds weirder than it is

Since the Astros only moved to the AL in 2013 - they literally have only a decade of playing in the same League

And they only play there once a season

The Guardians and Reds put in all the claims

Guardians also got Matt Moore and the Reds also got Hunter Renfroe

Looks like only other person claimed was Dominic Leone by the Mariners

YOUR 2023 NEW YORK YANKEES! 

For those scoring at home, that's a rare 2-4 DP.  Mainly because Cabrera was an idiot.  (This statement has been said to me more than I care to say.)

In other rare Double Play news...  earlier this week, SF turned a 3-1-4-2 Double Play.  Elias says that has not happened since at least 1961.

So the Yanks had one good day in their shit season

Jasson Dominguez became the youngest Yankee to homer in his first AB (20 years, 206 days). 5th youngest ever.

Aaron Judge became the fastest player ever to reach 250 HRs (810th game which beat Ryan Howard's record of 855 games)

And Austin Wells also had a hit in his first career AB

Andrew McCutchen suffered a partial Achilles Tear and is done for the season

He currently is sitting on 299 HRs and he wants to play next year and he wants to do it in Pittsburgh

I can't imagine the Pirates not bringing him back but who knows

• Sad 1

D-Backs are calling up one of their Top Prospects - Jordan Lawler

Lawlar appears set to play 3B everyday.

To make room for him - Arizona DFAed Nick Ahmed

That lead to the rare moment of a guy talking to the media after losing his job

The Rangers got swept by the Astros

The scores were

13-6

14-1

12-3

The Astros are alone in first place in the AL West for the first time all season

The Rangers had spent 148 of the first 149 days of the season in first (or tied for it). They currently would miss the playoffs.