DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

The full list of next year's international games was announced

• Dodgers vs Padres - Seoul, South Korea (March 20-21) - These games will be the official start of the 2024 season
  • Astros vs Rockies - Mexico City, Mexico (April 27-28)
  • Mets vs Phillies - London, England (June 8-9)

The Red Sox and Rays will play 2 spring training games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

• Like 1

Let's use that news to start the next thread.  

And we currently stand with Tampa, Cleveland, and Texas(??) in first place in the AL.  Baltimore(!!), Houston, and Toronto are in the Wild Card spots.  

In the NL, we've got Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Cincinnati(!?) in first.  Miami(?!?), Arizona, and San Francisco hold the WC slots.  

This is an odd duck of a season.   

Buster Olney opened his dumb mouth and said the Yankees would "be most likely" to acquire Ohtani if they were to trade for him.  Now my entire twitter is people posting lineups where the Yankees have given up absolutely nothing, and it's infuriating. 

That said...

I'm sure there are IP minimums that would effectively neuter this conversation, but if he goes to LA, SF, or somewhere else in the NL...  could he win the Cy Young in both leagues?

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That said...I'm sure there are IP minimums that would effectively neuter this conversation, but if he goes to LA, SF, or somewhere else in the NL...  could he win the Cy Young in both leagues?

I don't think there are innings minimums for BBWAA awards, so sure!

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Buster Olney opened his dumb mouth and said the Yankees would "be most likely" to acquire Ohtani if they were to trade for him.  Now my entire twitter is people posting lineups where the Yankees have given up absolutely nothing, and it's infuriating. 

That said...

I'm sure there are IP minimums that would effectively neuter this conversation, but if he goes to LA, SF, or somewhere else in the NL...  could he win the Cy Young in both leagues?

Yeah, there's not a world where NYY acquires Ohtani while Stanton still has another year clogging up the DH spot spending half of it on the IL. 

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That said...

Yes, he could. Rick Sutcliffe won the NL Cy Young after being traded during the season. He threw just 150 innings but was 16-1 for Chicago, good enough to nab the award. Theoretically, he was eligible for the AL one as well. 

Full 2024 season schedule was released yesterday

All 30 teams will play on March 28 which MLB is calling "Opening Day" despite the two games in South Korea happening a week earlier

It will match 2019 for earliest start of the regular season

All Star Game is July 16 (Arlington, Texas)

Season will end on Sept 29

There are actually two schedule doubleheaders (Oakland hosts Texas on May 8 and the Giants are home against the Rockies on July 27)

One of those weird coincidences, the Guardians home opener will be on 4/8.  That's also the same day as the next total eclipse of the sun in North America, and Cleveland is directly in the path of totality.  

So, what I'm saying is, if ancient shamans are correct, you'd better bet a boatload on the Guardians finally winning the World Series next year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

to be fair a lot of these long droughts are partly down to The Curse Of There Not Being A Wild Card Until 1995 And The Yankees Being Really Fucking Good For Most Of The Time Prior To That

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You'd think they were still cursed for decades of Chief Wahoo. 

the counter to having a tribal curse placed on your team is to bribe another tribe to work on your behalf, like what the Atlanta Braves do (allegedly)

• Like 1

The Royals kick off the 2nd half by postponing a game for rain 3 hours before first pitch as a thunderstorm was knocking out power around the area, only for the radar to clear up by first pitch. There'll be a split doubleheader tomorrow.

Bumping Shane McClanahan out of this series is worth it in the end. (Also if you're the Rays, you get to start McClanahan vs the Rangers instead of the Royals, which is more relevant to their postseason interests)

Edited by Cobra Commander

the 6 teams with the largest negative gap between actual record and pythag record in the first half of 2023:

• Rangers: 59-32 pythag, 52-39 actual
  • Padres: 49-41 pythag, 43-47 actual
  • Cubs: 47-42 pythag, 42-47 actual
  • Royals: 30-61 pythag, 26-65 actual
  • Cardinals: 42-48 pythag, 38-52 actual
  • Twins: 49-42 pythag, 45-46 actual

And the 5 largest positive gaps are:

• Marlins: 45-47 pythag, 53-39 actual
  • Orioles: 49-40 pythag, 54-35 actual
  • Reds: 45-46 pythag, 50-41 actual
  • Brewers: 44-47 pythag, 49-42 actual
  • DBacks: 48-43 pythag, 52-39 actual

and to open the second half, the Rangers won, Padres won, Cubs lost, Royals washed out, Cardinals had their game suspended in the 3rd inning, and Twins won by 1 run.. while the Orioles beat the Marlins, Brewers beat the Reds 1-0 and the DBacks lost. Good work by the MLB scriptwriters to put the 4 teams overperforming by the most against each other

Hope none of you were feeling young

Endy Rodríguez was recalled from Indianapolis and inserted into the Pirates' lineup hitting seventh and at catcher for his big league debut in a series opener against Cleveland. Quinn Priester, a 22-year-old right-hander, started in his major league debut as the Pirates lost 11-0.

Priester, born Sept. 15, 2000, and Rodríguez, born May 26, 2000, became Major League Baseball's first starting battery born in 2000 or later, according to Elias Sports Bureau research. It marked the first debuting starting battery for the Pirates since Cookie Cuccurullo pitched to Hank Camelli on Oct. 3, 1943.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Padres DFA Roughned Odor and send Austin Nola to AAA. 

Odor should be able to catch on with somebody needing to add some punch to their lineup. 

• Like 1