DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXVI - 8/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Time will tell if this is the moment that kills the Bloodline storyline, but it does sort of feel like they could've simply had Cody win at WrestleMania.

They could have and who knows where Cody would have gone from there but the thing about the WrestleMania aftermath is that ratings are up and they are selling tickets like hotcakes so it proved that The Bloodline story had a lot of legs left in it.  So now we are in a situation where they might be afraid to kill it. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mystman said:

At this point, the thing that would make the most sense is if it turns out Jey is actually still a member of The Bloodline as well, and this whole thing has been an orchestrated ruse cooked up by Heyman and Roman so no other contenders for the title would want to get involved with the family drama.

I will turn into the Joker (Sting).

sting-joker.gif

Edited by EVA
  • Haha 4

Who cares about the main anyway? The more I think about the 3-way, the more I enjoy it. Lots of things you can do coming out of it. Im particularly hoping we get “I’m sick of playing nice” total ass kicker Bianca Belair

Also, give Priest the other belt. I honestly can’t believe that I think Punishment Martinez is the coolest guy they got going right now 

• Like 1

Hey guys, Triple H wants you to know that no matches were cut from the card because they were never announced for the show anyway, and that any time women have been in the main event of a show in WWE it was deserved/earned and wasn’t for PR reasons.

• Haha 1

Just got home from the show. (I went to Taco Bell afterwards.)

First off, I've never been around that many fans of the sport of professional wrestling in my life, and after the last few years that I've had, I fucking needed it. Shoutout to the little girl in Bianca Belair cosplay, replete with the braid, the kid sittin' in the row in front of me who I had a brief funny face contest with, and the folks sittin' to my right. They were really nice. 

Most over dude on the show by far was LA Knight. Maybe it's just the catchphrase, but the crowd fucking LOST IT when he won the battle royal. 

Most over lady in the company is Rhea Ripley. Mami's shirts were EVERYWHERE. The people love that woman and rightfully so. 

As for the matches...

...Say what you want about Suplex City, but that match translated the best to the crowd. Nothing but big, visible bombs that played super well to the back of the arena. 

The people hate Logan Paul. I think he's a douche, too, but he's good. Like, really good. Maybe even damn near Kurt Angle rookie year good. 

I generally hate Triple Threats as a rule, but this one rocked. Asuka delivered an all-timer of a mist job on Charlotte and I lost my shit. Iyo's cash-in was probably the best moment of the night. 

I'm gonna need to rewatch Gunther vs Drew. Couldn't hear Gunther's chops live. Stadiums make my heart sad. 

Everyone went pee and popcorn during Shayna/Rhonda. I like Shayna a lot, but this match was just not a good call. Frankly, don't try to do budget UWFI on a WWE stadium show post advent of MMA. Glad Shayna got the win, though. 

I don't follow the weekly TV really, so I'm not totally invested in The Bloodline story. Roman's matches can be pretty divisive, but I'll say that it takes a lot of confidence and guts to let things breathe that much. It might not come across as well on TV, but when Jey hit that first spear, it hit me why Roman works the way he does. That spear blew the roof off the place. It was pretty incredible to see. That said, they could've shaved off some of that space. I looked at my phone at 12:05 and the match still wasn't over. 

As far as how The Bloodline story ends/who beats Roman, it's quite possible that it ends with Roman still at the head of the table and he just switches his gimmick up. He very well could break Bruno's record. I really don't know who is gonna beat him. 

Anyway, I had a great night and I really needed it. It was my first live WWE show since 1987! 

PRO WRESTLING IS #1 AND THE BEST~!

• Like 6

The Bloodline has jumped the shark now. It wasn't enough to have yet another painfully long, boring, schmozz-filled Roman title match but the finish was hot garbage. This whole program is just a mechanism to artificially pad this run out for the sake of breaking a record, I'm sure they'll now move on to Solo vs Roman soon to kill a few months.

With Brock putting Cody over so strong like that, I wonder if they circle back to him for Wrestlemania to dethrone Roman. Which would be hilarious but not the worst thing imaginable.

Enjoyed Paul vs Ricochet as as un-abashed stunt show and Gunther vs Drew. 

Does Knight get anything for winning the Battle Royale or was it just a way of getting him on the show?

Rousey vs Baszler was not good, they really should have just have had a normal match, but at least Shayna won. Hopefully this is Ronda done for now.

Didn't the last Rollins vs Balor match play out almost the exact same with Priest trying to help and failing? Time to put the belt on him, if for no other reason than it'd be something fresh and Rollins is insufferable.

Bianca Belair working a leg injury then returning to the ring to break up the Figure Eight by very slowly crawling to the top in order to hit a 450 was maybe the dumbest spot I have seen in a while.

• Like 2

If the story that Roman is off for most of this year after tonight, that makes this Bloodline angle even more stupid.   You can do 3 or 4 months of Jimmy vs Jey.  But there is very little you can do with Solo without Roman Reigns.  Have Jimmy look even dumber and have him to him Solo as the new Usos?    Have a babyface beat Austin Theory so Solo can go after the US title?    

I keep picturing Heyman looking out for his own interests and quietly arguing against every proposed title change with “where does the story go?”

• Haha 1

Lesnar choosing to shake Cody's hand and show he earned his respect after a match where he completely beat the shit out of him, implored him to stay down, got back up and luckily got back into it, instead of Brock destroying him in five-ten minutes is a better parody of the Cody TNT title matches than Omega/Sonny Kiss was

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

Rousey vs Baszler was not good, they really should have just have had a normal match, but at least Shayna won. Hopefully this is Ronda done for now.

Slight pivot, but while elsewhere on this board ppl are complaining about how AEW book/feature women.....there really ought to be a Dark Side of the Ring about the failure of Rousey in WWE, and let's face it, she had a good look in NXT but Baszler is the Queen of Spades of a busted flush; she's not rehabilitatable at this stage IMHO....Shafir might yet turn out to be the best of them.

Thought the show was fantastic. Anyone who thought Roman was losing last night was foolish. They are going to tease the crap out of him passing Hogan because I mean chasing the Immortal One is wrestling lore.

Expected response from the board that can’t even give Ricochet vs Paul it’s just due. “Lesser Osperay/Ricochet” yeah not bad for a guy with less than 10 matches in his career. 

36 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Slight pivot, but while elsewhere on this board ppl are complaining about how AEW book/feature women.....there really ought to be a Dark Side of the Ring about the failure of Rousey in WWE, and let's face it, she had a good look in NXT but Baszler is the Queen of Spades of a busted flush; she's not rehabilitatable at this stage IMHO....Shafir might yet turn out to be the best of them.

Was very disappointed with Baszler/Rousey. I think Baszler could again be in that main event scene but it would take some time. Loved her Queen of Spades character. 

• Like 1

Cody/Brock or Gunther/McIntyre was my MOTN. The former surprised me as I've hated most of Lesnar's Suplex City shit. As a fan of the Bloodline storylone, I'm not convinced by this Jimmy turns on Jey feasibility being credible and this match along with Usos vs. Reigns/Sikoa at Money in the Bank needed ten minutes trimming down.

14 minutes ago, Coach said:

Expected response from the board that can’t even give Ricochet vs Paul it’s just due. “Lesser Osperay/Ricochet” yeah not bad for a guy with less than 10 matches in his career. 

I said nice job!

Edited by EVA

Man, Ronda Rousey's second WWE stint stunk. I was hoping her and Baszler would lean more into MMA style either bringing back the Fight Pit or in MMA attire. Perhaps Rousey bringing back her Judogi which she wore at one of the Saudi shows?

Edited by The Natural

Tired: Becky/Trish was cut for time because WWE are misogynists who don’t respect women’s wrestling.

Wired: Cutting Becky/Trish was a false flag operation to distract people from the fact that Sami Zayn, the man responsible for the Bloodline drawing all this money in the first place, was not booked on this show. Not even in the totally made-up meat stick battle royal.

Edited by EVA

After hearing the "bottom of the third" reference in regard to this storyline, I'm wondering if there are any other baseball references that can be made.

Should the umps call curfew on the game?

Do we add someone from NXT in as a September call up?

End it now via the 10 run mercy rule, Roman wins again.

35 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man, Ronda Rousey's second WWE stint stunk. I was hoping her and Baszler would lean more into MMA style either bringing back the Fight Pit or in MMA attire. Perhaps Rousey bringing back her Judogi which she wore at one of the Saudi shows?

That was her best look, and the weird visual presentation has always been part of the problem. Not all of it, but definitely part of it.

• Like 2