DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

13 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I will say one thing, I will rescind a good bit of my Punk disdain if he drops another fall to Starks next week.  

It would be the wrong move for business though. There are bigger drawing matches ahead if he doesn’t lose here.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

2) If it's all about "working in relation to your size," what's the issue with Kenny Omega? He's jacked to the gills and hits like a freight train.

Canadian Papa Pump doesn’t even do one push-up taught in a match….

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

It would be the wrong move for business though. There are bigger drawing matches ahead if he doesn’t lose here.

I agree with you completely, I'm trying to get around my disdain for Punk because I honestly really enjoy Collision, but it bothers me that despite the trope being right there, he's put himself into a title picture and it's just lame(to me anyway) that he's calling himself the real champ without even a mention from MJF.

49 minutes ago, Dog said:

1) The last sentence is pretty despicable. Even you should realize it.

2) If it's all about "working in relation to your size," what's the issue with Kenny Omega? He's jacked to the gills and hits like a freight train.

2) is a fair question, and I’ve been reflecting on that some. I think my disdain for Omega is directly proportional to his proximity to the Bucks. I don’t mind him nearly as much as a single. He’s probably still “not for me,” but I certainly don’t find his singles work nearly as obnoxious as his tag work with the Jackson’s, and have even found him enjoyable with the right opponent. I dug that opening B&G stretch with Claudio, for example. I look forward to his eventual showdown with Takeshita. 

Also, I don’t think it’s fair to call me a creep. Set in my ways to the point of being off putting? Certainly. Creep? Nah. This was a good dialogue, though. 

Edited by just drew
Deadnamed Swiss Claude
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Those matches don’t need the title. CM Punk is the champ of being CM Punk. A belt won’t make those matchups more or less compelling. I absolutely don’t think Punk should eat another clean pin to Starks. Stroke Daddy should cheat his ass off. But that belt would do a ton for Starks. It doesn’t do anything for Punk.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:40 PM, Dog said:

Maybe I'm just scarred by Monsoon and Heenan commentating Hogan matches. When Hogan blatantly cheated, and the play-by-play guy openly excused it, Heenan seemed like the only rational man left on Earth. Someone's gotta stick up for the misunderstood among us!

I really kinda wish Jesse Ventura-style heel commentary was around more.  I liked the Jesse was a heel, but respected the face's ability.  He was great in Sting/Vader matches.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I agree with you completely, I'm trying to get around my disdain for Punk because I honestly really enjoy Collision, but it bothers me that despite the trope being right there, he's put himself into a title picture and it's just lame(to me anyway) that he's calling himself the real champ without even a mention from MJF.

Dude, give in to your hate. You'll be happier that way than begrudgingly respecting the guy. Just let the darkness flow.

• Like 1

It's Amazing how Collision has made me realize that Punk could be a net positive for AEW.  I thought it was going to be a disaster, but I've been massively surprised.  

Punk/Hangman or Punk/Omega would be a low-build match that would seem mega-special.

I kinda wish it was Zack/Jericho instead of Ospreay/Jericho.  Zack could cover Jericho if he is laying an egg- Jericho's still great when he's on, but he has more stinkers now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Also, I don’t think it’s fair to call me a creep.

You told someone to go fuck a body pillow. I'm pretty self-unaware, but you're the king if you think that's not being a creep, for about a thousand different reasons.

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

You told someone to go fuck a body pillow. I'm pretty self-unaware, but you're the king if you think that's not being a creep, for about a thousand different reasons.

That's not what I said, at all, and if you read it that way it probably says more about you than it does me.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

But that belt would do a ton for Starks. It doesn’t do anything for Punk.

There are people who are furious Punk is dipping his toes in the title scene. Ride it. Stepping back diminishes the weird heat. 

It’s also clear Punk is working Starks because he likes him. Expect him to get more out of this than he did the Jericho feud, title or no title. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

I'm going to the Tampa Dynamite show next week and thought they'd have more matches announced for their 200th episode. I'm still pumped to go since there will probably be a lot of stuff going down and the three-way match sounds fun. Not sure where my seats will be until I get there but my guy always comes through. This time I'm going with an actual wrestling fan too so we'll stay all the way through Rampage. The Ft Myers show last year was so much fun so I know I'll have a great time here, especially since I don't have to drive. 

Edit: Looks like Bucks/Omega vs Planet Jarrett 6 Man just got booked, hell yeah. I never cared for Jarrett in the past but he's great in his role and somehow I have never seen him wrestle in person before. This will also be my first time seeing the Bucks or Omega wrestle so I'm pretty pumped. Really hoping Orange Cassidy has a match too since he was injured last show I went to.

Edited by StevieNippz
Card Update
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, just drew said:

That's not what I said, at all, and if you read it that way it probably says more about you than it does me.

7 hours ago, just drew said:

Run along now. Your Sasha Banks body pillow is getting lonely.

So now you're either trying to gaslight people, or you're spectacularly unaware of the obvious implications of your own words.

ETA: Remember when you didn't know the implications of calling someone "twinkletoes"? Or so you claim?

Edited by Dog
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

I really kinda wish Jesse Ventura-style heel commentary was around more.  I liked the Jesse was a heel, but respected the face's ability.  He was great in Sting/Vader matches.

This is exactly why I loved JBL commentating on SD! When he first retired. Had a sort of internal consistency 

• Like 2

Just watching the main event of Revolution 2021. There has already been a bunch of decent explosions and a ton of barber wire. I don't see how badly the ending must go in order to undo all of this? I don't care if it's 4 m80's going off in the corners, it won't make a difference. Hell of a match. 

Ok, a bit amusing but didn't really ruin anything...

Edited by Shartnado
Yeah, could've been worse...
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

There are people who are furious Punk is dipping his toes in the title scene. Ride it. Stepping back diminishes the weird heat. 

It’s also clear Punk is working Starks because he likes him. Expect him to get more out of this than he did the Jericho feud, title or no title. 

That’s a fair point. It’s not the choice I would make if I were booking but I get why some people would.

22 hours ago, just drew said:

I should know better than to engage you, as your level of “gotten to” is beyond logic at this point, but I’ve got the time today. I guess stanning a Great Value HBK is somehow more noble than an alleged Rock ripoff, right? If you’re so daft that you couldn’t at all pick up on the silliness and hyperbole in my post, then you’re even dumber than I thought, and I wasn’t sure that was even possible. I don’t really think they should put every title on Ricky Starks, but I do think he’s by far the most charismatic performer on the roster. He’s certainly miles ahead of the guy who constantly yells his own name and has to be attached at the hip to legitimate ratings draws to create the illusion that he wasn’t a total waste of payroll. The people booking Collision seem to agree about Starks, as he’s been in a prime spot every week. Starks had multiple matches with Chris Jericho that was orders of magnitude better than that back alley abortion Jericho dragged Adam Cole through. Starks is the goods. I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to assert that he’ll be a top guy on Collision in the next few months, if he isn’t already.

Back under the bridge, troll.

Feeding Paint By Numbers alt isn’t worth my time, so I edited out my insults towards them.

Edited by LF2
Decided I want to stay here