DVDVR Message Board

Ask Octopus Anything

Octopus

Lil Octopus, Brother Giraffe, and I are all at Unmapped Brewing. We are outside and enjoying a nice day. There is a dog out here with the same name as a poster here. Let’s just say when he started barking and acting up, I just heard a bunch of “Damn it, Gordi!” “Hush Gordi!” ( @Gordlow)

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

*ring* … *ring* …. *ring*

Old man Benson sighs. He puts down his Apter Magazine and slowly rises out of his espresso brown leather Winchester lounge chair. Trying to adjust his wool cardigan as he gets to his feet.

*ring*

“I’m coming. I’m coming”

Benson sets his dirt sheet on the short wooden side table. Leaning against his stain-glass shaded lamp, just next to his tall thin glass of buttermilk.

*ring*

Back bent forward he shuffles his feet towards the phone. If only he had gotten a cellular telephone like his late wife Margret used to tease him about not having. She was bright and joyous, always with the new fashion. When hair bobs came out she had a field day. Benson stops and remembers her smile. A day doesn’t go by that he doesn’t think of Margret. He reaches for her favorite book on his bookshelf. Tall and mighty, long mahogany shelves filled with the finest literature. He pulls it out, Mox by Jon Moxley. A tear rolls down his eye thinking of all the sick fuckin sweet deathmatches they used to watch. Fuck yeah, Zandig was sweet. 

*ring*

“Oh, yes”

The shuffling continues. Benson grabs the phone and slowly raises it to his ear.

“Hello, Benson here.”

Quiet breathing on the other side.

“Hello, you’ve reached Benson”

“…..it is time…..”

Benson sighs. Looks back at that sweet as fuck book his wife likes.

“I understand, sir….I must awaken……THE OCTOPUS”

Benson slams the phone down. He’s sweaty and pumped up.  He grabs his limited edition Abdullah the Butcher fork and stabs himself in the forehead. 

“MARGRET!!! I’M COMING!!”

THREE WEEKS LATER

Benson’s study is ripped apart. All the fuckin sweet wrestling books knocked off the shelf. Poor old Benson laying limp on the ripped apart and blooded chair. Two detectives are analyzing the fork sticking out of Benson’s head. One is old and holding a flashlight to Benson. The other is young and putting on rubber gloves.

“What madness would produce such self mutilating carnage. His forehead looks like it has deep gouges often recut to mask poor workrate,” says the younger detective.

The older detective waves his hands dismissively.

“Oh hush! You and your necessities for workrate.”

“Quiet, you! If we can’t judge based off of the hustle and combination of moves based on effort to perform, how can we rate a man’s career?”

“By story, you child!! Psychology is more than moves! It’s getting people pumped up about a table spot by saying “D’Von, Get the Table” so people know that a table spot is coming. Then when the table spot happens, they’re like, that was what he said was gonna happen. Sweet!”

“More than moves?! What are you, fucking simple? Anyone can do a table spot. But can the walk across the ropes multiple times to jump up and down between ropes to do some sweet shit?”

“The only time I want to see a man walk the ropes is when it is done slowly while gently holding your openness hand and being guided to a nice spot in the middle where they can drop down and club you in the back kinda. To represent the undead.”

“The only undead I want to see is an overly horror makeupped  woman that bother makes me afraid but also makes me feel funny things.”

“Sounds like overproduced gobbledygook. The undead should be signified not by vomiting blood but wearing a black hat and having a brutally burned mayor brother.” 

They both stop their argument. Their eyes widen as the notice on the ground, written in big letters of blood

FIND THE OCTOPUS

The young one looks at the older detective,

“Gresham?”

“No, based off his PWI 500 rating he is way to good for this shit.”

“Maybe we could google it”

“Google?”

The young detective chuckles and pulls out his iPhone. He types in “THE OCTOPUS” and up comes a profile on DVDVR. 

“Hey check this out, I think I got a lead”

They huddle over the iPhone and scroll through some of the most enlightening and endearing posts ever written. Tears stream down their eyes.

The young detective joyously shouts,

“WE GOTTA FIND THE OCTOPUS!”

*ring*

The old detective quickly picks up the phone.

“Hello, this is a crime scene.”

“…hello detective….Hogan…”

“….how do you know my name?….”

“…are you tired of not being the lead detective anymore?….”

“ANSWER ME!”

“…are you tired of…detective Hart taking your shine?…” 

“………yes…..”

“…..you will know when to take the lead. In the meantime, follow the clues.”

Hmmmmm, Detective Hogan thinks to himself. The clues….

“Oh look, a map!” Detective Hart shouts.

Detective Hogan thinks to himself, this smug no good piece of Canadian self righteous garbage. Thinks he’s better than me because he can find a map.

“Looks like The Octopus is just past this block and deep into the CAVE OF FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE” 

Detective Hogan shakes his head and thinks to himself, oCtOpUs Is In ThE SmArT CaVe NeXt tO tHe WiSdOm BuSh LiKe MeEeE

“There is dangerous heels on the way, so we must be ready for battle”

Detective Hogan smiles.

“…oh, I’ll be ready” 

THE STREETS

Detective Hogan and Detective Hart are cautiously walking down the dark and dangerous street. 

The crouch behind a garbage can. The CAVE OF FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE is past the street. 

“I’ll make the trip across. I need to be hyper focused, so you be my lookout, Detective Hogan.”

“….yes…. I’ll keep you safe….”

Slowly, Detective Hart makes his way to the cave. He stand outside of it and yells,

“Uh…MR OCTOPUS….. MR OCTOPUS….”

A low deep rumble growls out of the cave.

“….I HAVE …”

Meanwhile, in the distance, Detective Hogan notices a large figure making its way towards Detective Hart. 

“I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED…,”

So large, yet surprisingly quick and mobile. Detective Hogan is about to shout but realizes this is hit moment. He smiles sinisterly. 

“TO LET YOU KNOW….”

The large figure makes it to Detective Hart. He spins Detective Hart around,

With a shocked look on Detective Hart’s face, he screams,

“YOKOZUNA?!”

Yokozuna throws sand or whatever in his eye. Or maybe Mr Fuji was with him and did that. I don’t remember.

Detective Hart is covering his eyes. He is in so much pain. Detective Hogan runs up and acts shocked,”

“Oh, brother. Oh no, brother. Jeesh. Darn it, brother. I didn’t see him. Aw shucks. Darn”

Detective Hart waves his hands telling Detective Hogan to finish the mission and be the hero he should always be. 

Detective Hogan stands at the edge of the CABE OF FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE

“Zendragon has a question for you, brother.”

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

No photo description available.

@Octopus would you describe this as an accurate take on your parenting style?

I would say pretty close. When lil Octopus and I are goofing around I like to go on non sequitur funny bits mixed with wrestling moves and tickling him with THE CLAW. He cracks up or is too busy running around. He loves to go go go. 
Lots of family fun at the Johnson household!

Edited by Octopus
  • Haha 2

There I was, clip board in my hand and stethoscope around my neck. Day three in this pair of scrubs, the lack of action around here, it’s easy not to work up a sweat. Plus, the laundromat is always filled up by the time I get out of here. Just gotta make it to the weekend without another spill.

@zendragon! Are you listening?”

I snap back into focus. I tend to drift off.

“Yes, Dr @Gordlow.

Totally following along.”

“Ok, then you wouldn’t mind answering the question I just asked. What bone is attached to the knee bone?”

I lightly chuckle in fear. Keeping my composure. I know I studied this! I casually look to my best friend and fellow intern, @The Natural, who mouths the answer. Quickly, I shout,

“THE SHIN BONE!”

“…. Very lucky Mr Zendragon… noticed how I didn’t say Dr…

I half smile. Nod to my bud. 

“Anyway, bones are neat because…”

Bones, thank God I have bones. I capitalized God because I’m a devote Catholic in this scenario. I wonder if God has bones?

“Psss. You got lucky!”

@Sparkleface, my fellow intern rival, whispers to me sternly. We’ve been battle out my entire internship. I just want to be the best I can, but it’s looked at as competition. I feel mid-series we’ll have a brief friendship arc. But until then… I stick my tongue out. 

“YES, Zendragon! Good answer. The tongue is where the taste buds are held. Funny thing about taste buds….”

As Dr Gordlow rambles on, I see @Elsalvajeloco walk by. He’s the cool Dr, so his white jacket isn’t fully buttoned up. He looks me in the eye and as he passes says,

“Sucking up to the Chief of Medicine isn’t going to make you a good Dr.”

I quickly suck my tongue back into my mouth. I just want him to like me. Both as a father figure but also as a friendly older brother. I notice everyone is walking away in separate directions. Oh, I guess rounds are over. I should check the white board to see what patents I’m assigned to. As I get to the board…

CALLING ALL DOCTORS AND SEXUALLY TENSE INTERNS THAF WILL HAVE A SERIES OF WILL-THEY-WONT-THEYS! CODE LIGHT HAZEL BROWN IN ROOM 69!

I rush in there to see Octopus violently shake in his bed. The Natural, Sparkleface, Mischievous security guard @Curt McGirt, @NikoBaltimore (who has a riverboat gambler gimmick), and a few other unnamed interns ( @Matt D ) are all holding down Octopus’s tentacles. Octopus is gargling foam out of his beak. Elsalvajeloco is trying to force a long tube into Octopus’s beak as his eyes roll back into his oblong head.

“Quick, grab a tentacle! Hold him down!

“BUT HE DOESN’T HAVE ANY BONES!”

“Then may God have mercy on our souls.”

I jump into his wildly flinging tentacle. It’s so squishy, yet firm. With all my might I pull it down beside the bed. It’s slipping out from under me and I chomp down with my mouth and bite hard. Keeping this tentacle down. Elsalvajeloco is hooking the tube up to a bag of goopy lookin goo.

Dr Gordlow flies into the room. 

“If that goo goes into his mouth then you’re all fired!”

Elsalvajeloco snaps his head towards Dr Gordlow.

“You fucker, he hasn’t said a Zinger in 20 minutes. Without this goo he’ll die!!!!”

“That Goo is more expensive and valuable than all you fuckers combined. We’re a Veterinarian Clinic, not a non-profit!”

“You cheap sack of shit. Fine, I’ll do it myself!”

Elsalvajeloco shoves the other end of the tube down his throat and gags out,

“I'm afraid for the calendar. Its days are numbered."

…nothing. Elsalvajeloco gives out another gag,

“Justice is a dish best served cold, if it were served warm it would be justwater.”

Octopus shrieks

Elsalvajeloco gags out more

“6:30 is my favorite time of day, hands down.”

The foam slowly stops dripping from Octopus’s beak

More Elsalvajeloco gagging

“A man is at a restaurant and orders bacon and eggs. The waitress asks how he likes his bacon and eggs. The man says, ‘I DON’T KNOW, I HAVEN’T MET THEM YET!”

Octopus’s tentacles harden, he throws me and the other sexually tense interns at the wall. Yanks the tube out of his beak and yells,

“MY WIFE IS REALLY MAD AT THE FACT THAT I HAVE NO SENSE OF DIRECTION. SO I PACKED UP MY THINGS AND RIGHT.”

20 hours ago, zendragon said:

Did you write all that just for me

Yup, pretty much

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Octopus said:

@Sparkleface, my fellow intern rival, whispers to me sternly. We’ve been battle out my entire internship. I just want to be the best I can, but it’s looked at as competition. I feel mid-series we’ll have a brief friendship arc. But until then… I stick my tongue out. 

Are you saying I'm the Elliot Reid to your J.D.? Except obvs we're not getting married since you're already married? Does this mean I get a makeover episode at some point and walk by all sassy?

SOLD.

Remember that question over in the AEW section about names you'd like to see get a shot at booking wrestling?

Octopus. That's my answer.

Oh, damn! How did I just realize that @Sparkleface's avatar is Courtney Barnett from the Pedestrian at Best video? I love Barnett.

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Are you saying I'm the Elliot Reid to your J.D.? Except obvs we're not getting married since you're already married? Does this mean I get a makeover episode at some point and walk by all sassy?

SOLD.

Close, lots of ins lots of out. 
@zendragon was the JD to your Elliot. It was his inquisitive day dreams. I was the super strong and really interesting and handsome Octopus patient. But hey, the season you get sassy and stand up for yourself is going to be pretty top notch! 

2 hours ago, Log said:

Remember that question over in the AEW section about names you'd like to see get a shot at booking wrestling?

Octopus. That's my answer.

That’d be a dream. Silly CHIKARA type stuff or super serious tough guy pro. Even the headaches of rushing to think of a last minute change or a solution to a failing story. 
As a tiny Octopus I’d play with wrestling action figures, but I’d use them to tell long term storylines (not just wrestling; even tv shows and movies like sports dramas, political thrillers, crime stories, etc) more so than just the action of fighting itself. They were more realistic to deal with than other toys. 

uh oh, cheap plug!

My film is now on YouTube, ODE TO THE WHALE OF CHRIST

A Modern Silent Film, by David Matthew Johnson. A black and white film with a rhythmic abundance of text that scatters across the screen and a meditative pace that creates a visually compelling sensory experience.
She carries He, a man eternally asleep. We witness She’s struggle carrying, feeding, bathing, and caring for He, until She can lift He no longer.

Reviews:

“A stylish short movie that dares to be black & white and silent. Yet, it is never silent.” – Luminous Void

“[David Matthew] Johnson succeeds in one of the most difficult creative operations: making aesthetics and content coincide. This homogeneous creative act is a film of rare fluidity of writing, original but discreet, intimate and lyrical, up to the disturbing finale. The breaking of modern conventions allows Johnson to free himself from the burden of structures and the film, in its frequent written parts, seems to urge the spectator himself to compose his vision. A rare and precious work.” - Prisma Rome Independent

“ ‘Ode to the Whale of Christ’ is an extraordinary film that has a deep influence on the viewer. David Matthew Johnson makes an inventive use of silence.
By silence he totally captures the attention of the viewer, pointing out that very important, sacred acts take place here. Furthermore, he introduces a tension, which at times takes your breath away. The silence severely intensifies the viewer's emotional involvement in the drama.” - Dr. Konstantinos Akrivos PhD - Short Encounters

"“Ode to the Whale of Christ, minus its explicit religious symbolism, is also an account of everyday human toil, the kind fated to simultaneous perseverance and utter absence of reward. The mercilessness which She subjects herself to is easily a representation of self-harm masked as service. Her care in the absence of his response is easily an account of historical emotional and physical labor in empty marriages.” - Indie Shorts Mag

I have two other films I directed in production. Majority of each shot. 

If you’re a weird filmmaker, I also run a film festival, OCTOPUS MARQUEE INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL. It’s predominantly abstract and unique films, but also traditional narrative work by independent auteurs. 🐙

• Like 4

On 8/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, Shartnado said:

I'm seeing this insane Alien stuff on Reddit and since you are an Octopus, how do you feel when some people think Octopi are aliens?

There’s several schools of fish of thought on the matter. Sadly, with my species it can lead to theological debate and at time dogmatic beliefs on what and how the TRUE cephalopods are. The Mollusk of the Octopoda Order have a lot of good messages and potentially enlightening theories on the origins of boneless sea life on earth, but they use questionable methods of confrontation and violence to get their point across. 

They sometimes maybe have to be, due to the oppressive nature of the Squid Coalition. They want us to stop making unique art and questioning conformity. 

I don’t have all the answers. I truly believe there is some extraterrestrial or at least extraordinary elements to how we as Octopuses/ Octopi have developed as a truly advanced and sexually stunning species. However, giving too much credence to that is to overlook the spectacular lineage of what it means to be and come from the sea. 

Whether we are a lost colony from the cosmos or have come from the depths beneath, I am proud of what we are and however we became what we became.

• Like 1

After a long double shift down at the coal mine shipyard, my body was weak. Half broken mental. Half broken physically. Half broken spiritually. I’m one and a half broken. But I must carry on. I must provide for my family. After a successful session of family provisions and lil Octopus being put to bedtime. Wife is gonna relax and do some wife thing. I must venture out and hunt for my own food. My family is safe and sound, but will I be? Only time can tell. I must journey out and find sustenance. God be with my. God keep me safe. I need her with me on my journey.

AF678-D3-D-18-D7-4061-9-EBA-B0-B8515-E48

there I am. A one-man Four Horsemen. Octopus ready to ride out. Walking for miles and miles. Through terrain and woods. Concrete jungle and spooky swamps. After hours in the desert of dry mouth torment, I begin to hallucinate. I see images of past enemies and future monsters. I must remain strong and venture forward. I must find food. Reasonably priced but flavor fit to please the whole neighborhood. A place where I could order a cowboy burger, a bourbon street steak, or delicious appetizers like mozzarella sticks or bottomless boneless wings. A place like that couldn’t exist. That would be too perfect.

wait….no….it couldn’t be. I see a mirage off in the distance….something to hood to be real….wait… it is….dear lord…lord Jesus Christ….Mary Mother of God….it is….

85-EBEC4-F-6674-40-CF-B2-AB-2-EE1411-E83

the floor is open for questions!!!!!

• Like 3

Waiter, there must be a mistake. My endless delicious Buffalo boneless wings came with seasoned to perfection fries and a tiny plastic cup of creamy yet perfectly lightly crunchy coleslaw. There must be a mistake. No? You mean the service is great and the deals are mind boggling? Wow, what a deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

After a long double shift down at the coal mine shipyard, my body was weak. Half broken mental. Half broken physically. Half broken spiritually. I’m one and a half broken. But I must carry on. I must provide for my family. After a successful session of family provisions and lil Octopus being put to bedtime. Wife is gonna relax and do some wife thing. I must venture out and hunt for my own food. My family is safe and sound, but will I be? Only time can tell. I must journey out and find sustenance. God be with my. God keep me safe. I need her with me on my journey.

AF678-D3-D-18-D7-4061-9-EBA-B0-B8515-E48

there I am. A one-man Four Horsemen. Octopus ready to ride out. Walking for miles and miles. Through terrain and woods. Concrete jungle and spooky swamps. After hours in the desert of dry mouth torment, I begin to hallucinate. I see images of past enemies and future monsters. I must remain strong and venture forward. I must find food. Reasonably priced but flavor fit to please the whole neighborhood. A place where I could order a cowboy burger, a bourbon street steak, or delicious appetizers like mozzarella sticks or bottomless boneless wings. A place like that couldn’t exist. That would be too perfect.

wait….no….it couldn’t be. I see a mirage off in the distance….something to hood to be real….wait… it is….dear lord…lord Jesus Christ….Mary Mother of God….it is….

85-EBEC4-F-6674-40-CF-B2-AB-2-EE1411-E83

the floor is open for questions!!!!!

Enjoy yourself, mate. Safe journey, home.

Favourite usernames here?

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hmmmm, a bunch of good ones on here.

@LoneWolf&Subs is maybe tops.

Saying @John from Cincinnati or @Dolfan in NYC makes me feel like I’m a radio host.

@Curt McGirt reminds me of when the Wu Tang got drafted by the Asian Delegation.

@Burgundy LaRue has a really nice flow to the user name. 

So does @Elsalvajeloco

@ohtani's jacket might be the best clothing related name.

@Nice Guy Eddie gets his name from either the Gilmore Girls or Arthur. I’m sure of it.

@Shartnado is a classic. 

@zendragon is both chill but mighty

hmmmm, I’m sure I’m forgetting other fun ones. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, Octopus said:

Waiter, there must be a mistake. My endless delicious Buffalo boneless wings came with seasoned to perfection fries and a tiny plastic cup of creamy yet perfectly lightly crunchy coleslaw. There must be a mistake. No? You mean the service is great and the deals are mind boggling? Wow, what a deal.

A good coleslaw can't be beat, I tell you.

16 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

A good coleslaw can't be beat, I tell you.

I like slaw. Side or topping. Got a BBQ sandwich? Slaw it. God bless a good SlawDog.

spread it out though. I’m not an everyday coleslawer

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I love kimchi! Have you ever had kimchi with an egg as a breakfast sandwich? My gosh.

I haven’t! That is my new mission.

I have a buddy that I’ll bbq with (I do ribs and he does the pork butt or brisket) maybe twice a year and he loves making kimchi or going to Asian markets and getting pretty good stuff like that. So my kimchi experience is limited to either like a cold dish or a topping to some type of bbq (pulled pork usually)

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

Username enjoyment part 2:

@Log being both the quantum opposites to @Dog and the Matt E to @Matt D

@Sparkleface reminds me of in Twilight that one time the vampire walks into sunlight.

@NoFistsJustFlips is thigh slappin good

@GuerrillaMonsoon is legit clever and I’m there wasn’t a CHIKARA or Indy wrestler named that.

@The Natural is aptly named. Dustin Rhodes level cool.

I like that @just drew doesn’t try to be anything more than himself. He’s just Drew.

@JLowe and @Gordlow both have excellent username tributes to Jennifer Lopez.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4