DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/22 - 5/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, caley said:

Oh man, I love him so much. First match of the night, first exchange of the night and he sounds like it's the most exciting thing he's ever seen. Somehow, some way, he ALWAYS sounds like he is breathlessly enthralled by the action. And it never sounds like he's forcing it. 

He sounds like he loves what he is watching. Like really truly loves it.

7 hours ago, caley said:

Oh man, I love him so much. First match of the night, first exchange of the night and he sounds like it's the most exciting thing he's ever seen. Somehow, some way, he ALWAYS sounds like he is breathlessly enthralled by the action. And it never sounds like he's forcing it. 

I've heard him a good bit before he came to WWE because he would call a lot of the Atlanta United games on the Fox Regional (I think he still mostly does United on the MLS package too), and it is kind of the same thing there. 

10 hours ago, caley said:

Ehhh... he's no David Crockett.

18 hours ago, caley said:

Let me preface that this is no knock on her as a worker, but I really hate just about everything about how WWE presents Raquel Rodriguez on the main roster. Her theme reminds me of the late 90s when WCW would bring in luchadores and give them you know Football Highlights #45 or whatever, but WWE had some generic latin guitar for an empty room song for every luchadore on TV. Rodriguez is big/scary, her theme should be imposing. Then she comes out, smiling and waving, turns her back and flexes her back muscles while trying to smile at the crowd over her shoulder and it looks SO stupid and forced. Once she gets in the ring, it's fine and good, but everything leading up to it is just terrible.

When she turns heel if they do it right it's all going to be worth it.  She will have plenty of ammo to intensely point out how she was taken for granted as the giant she is and will run over everybody.  Change up everything from music to what she does heading down and there could be something special there.  I think that's part of the reason why I'm putting up with nice Raquel with all that you mentioned above.  Now to add something to it you'd need a lovable tag partner for her to beat up.  Shotzi is great and all but maybe Aaliyah when she comes back could work.  There's the added bit about blaming her for her injury and I think Aaliyah can be sympathetic enough to try and conquer evil Raquel.

Oh, and the show was a fun watch.  Really liked Finn/Nak and Ricochet/Bronson were really great with the latter doing a great David/Goliath story in there.  And if you forget about Seth's Twitter stuff I can get behind him as the champ which they're strongly hinting at.

Cora/Lyra was solid. Dug the energy and quick pace they went with. The minor injury angle post match was unexpected but should create a good story to work with for Battleground.

Axiom/Dabba-Kato was nice while it lasted. Feels weird to put Axiom in a competitive squash after how he has looked the past six months. Reggie making the save post match was unexpected.

Bate/Thorpe was pretty solid and easily the best Thorpe has looked in NXT thus far. Was good to see Thorpe able to play well into Tyler's style.

Frazer/Dar was so damn good. Dug Frazer starting off strong only for Dar to take control as it went on and really showcase the skills that won him the Heritage Cup twice. Honestly kind of surprising they went for something at this level knowing what Dar has coming up with Dragon Lee on Sunday. Was even more surprising to see Frazer get the win. Even he seemed pleasantly shocked by it. 

Hank/Tank was big meaty men slapping meat. Just perfect.

The Gigi/Jacy segment could have been a pinch shorter but was mostly fine. Hopefully the two deliver something worthwhile in the cage match next week. 

Wagner/Luca was alright. Mostly was fun for the post match powerbomb the crowd pushed Wagner to do.

Roxanne/Tiffany built into something pretty good as it went on. Thought they did well taking Stratton's size and power into account while also considering Roxanne being the more skilled of the two. Figured Stratton would win once Lyra took the victory earlier. Will be an interesting match at Battleground. Tiffany hasn't been tested at that level yet. 

Ilja and Dijak have been brawling at various points all night. Dug the show ending on it with the quick contract signing between beatings and continued attempt to murder each other. Their match could be fantastic if they keep at that level of violence. 

Edited by Eivion

Interesting match on Level Up this week, Feroz & Leon vs. Jakara Jackson and Lash Legend. I would assume they are going to be two of the main teams in the "new" women's tag team division. I would think this is just for Leon to knock some rust off and for the two teams to get used to working one another.

The end of Axiom/Kato was stiiiiiiiiff, but that brawl at the end trumped it. Ilja is a fucking psycho. My girl Rok-C lost but they are clearly gonna have her and Valkyria fight over it after she wins at the PPV. 

Oh and there was Book and announcer boy debating the use of the term superkick vs. crescent kick and Book saying "I like it, crescent, like croussant" 😆

• Like 1

Oh man now I wanna see somebody use it and Book just starts yelling "THAT'S MY MOVE, THAT'S MY MOVE"

EDIT: Here are some quotes from me on the Discord from last night --

"He just says whatever the fuck. It works about... 10% of the time

If Taz isn't gonna be on enough Maffew needs to lean on Book

Wes just said "I completely understand where Booker is coming from" and he should use that at the finish on every segment of rambling"

So Mr. Botchamania, if you're reading...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:36 AM, Norwegian Rudo said:

Interesting match on Level Up this week, Feroz & Leon vs. Jakara Jackson and Lash Legend. I would assume they are going to be two of the main teams in the "new" women's tag team division. I would think this is just for Leon to knock some rust off and for the two teams to get used to working one another.

It was alright. Lash has improved a great deal, Jackson didn't have too much to do but did it all well - she was good at making Feroz and Leon look good. I was more watching for Feroz and Leon, so... I don't think they're fully formed as characters yet, and a bit handicapped by robotically (or exaggeratedly carnival-y) dancing to the ring, as well as after the match. Nice finisher, though, with shades of KC2 (one does a basic grapple and the other flies into them), and their double-team and Leon's missile dropkick were both good.

I think the high-water mark for Level Up has probably been Palmer/Ruca v Lash/Jackson.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I missed most of Smackdown but that final segment was fantastic stuff.  That was probably the best Bloodline related segment since WrestleMania. 

They took a bit to get back in the groove but you put a whole bunch of the best ever at the whole “playing a character” aspect of wrestling and some of the most creative minds it is just going to lead to magic. Just a really electric segment.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, Ramo2653 said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Booker on commentary, he'll mix in some good points and just say some nonsense too. It's probably the closest we'll get to Dusty back on commentary again.

I'm not sure I've ssen a colour commentator repeatedly flummox his PBP man just as much as Booker and Vic. There are times when Booker says something that is so strange or so opposite to what is being presented that Joseph will just say "What are you talking about?!"

Booker's the best. 

• Like 1

Sheamus/Theory was good. Pretty Deadly's interference played well into the finish. 

Raquel/Shotzi vs. Bayley/Io was pretty solid. Both teams worked rather well together. Only off part was the finish which was fine but weird with its execution. I assume its supposed to build into the eventual Io/Bayley breakup.

Grimes/Adonis was short but decent while it lasted.

Had similar thoughts from the above with Knight/Boogs. Thought the street Profits on commentary were fun if just a little distracting. With how over LA Knight is they really should do something more with him soon. 

Kross/AJ was one of Kross's better showcases with him busting some good offense and AJ bumping around and selling for him well. 

The Sami/KO/Bloodline segment was wonderful. Loved Heyman's reaction to Jimmy's tribal chief comment, and the the end with Jimmy refusing to give the belts over to Roman while Jey did was good stuff. Just fantastic tension throughout all of it. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3