DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

I can't believe I let my friend guilt trip me into going to a concert the day of Double or Nothing.  But at least I'm going to Dynamite on Wednesday so that's cool.

Also, random side note but I went to CFG Arena yesterday for Monster Jam with the nephews so I got a preview of what the arena's like.  They redid a lot of things and I honestly fucking hate it.  VIP seats and parking for spots that were always open, food and especially drinks are a lot more expensive, and there's no ties look-wise to any of the history the arena had.  I know times change and they had to modernize things.  But even in past arena names it always had that Baltimore Arena vibe that I adored.  Now it's just a place to go to which sucks.  Yeah, this is definitely my yelling at clouds moment but I've been there tons of times and have such fond memories.  So to see that all wiped away just sucks.

But to turn this back around I'm looking forward to seeing Willow live and the four pillars tag match should be fun.  I think The Elite are going to appear and I'm already excited to sing along to some Kansas.  Arena be damned fun will be had.  Add in the fact that I got floor seats for a good price on Stubhub (not facing the camera but who cares) and it's gonna be a good one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I can't believe I let my friend guilt trip me into going to a concert the day of Double or Nothing.  But at least I'm going to Dynamite on Wednesday so that's cool.

Also, random side note but I went to CFG Arena yesterday for Monster Jam with the nephews so I got a preview of what the arena's like.  They redid a lot of things and I honestly fucking hate it.  VIP seats and parking for spots that were always open, food and especially drinks are a lot more expensive, and there's no ties look-wise to any of the history the arena had.  I know times change and they had to modernize things.  But even in past arena names it always had that Baltimore Arena vibe that I adored.  Now it's just a place to go to which sucks.  Yeah, this is definitely my yelling at clouds moment but I've been there tons of times and have such fond memories.  So to see that all wiped away just sucks.

But to turn this back around I'm looking forward to seeing Willow live and the four pillars tag match should be fun.  I think The Elite are going to appear and I'm already excited to sing along to some Kansas.  Arena be damned fun will be had.  Add in the fact that I got floor seats for a good price on Stubhub (not facing the camera but who cares) and it's gonna be a good one.

Let me assist you by yelling at the clouds as well: When Tank Davis fought there pre-pandemic, I was so glad that the arena (then still Royal Farms Arena) still looked basically the same way it did when WWF and WCW ran there in the 80s and 90s. It was instantly recognizable. We've had this discussion before here, but I hate it when all the arenas look the same cause it does nothing to help how it looks on TV.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hard to get a grasp on sales because you can’t select from the map, you’re just offered in whatever section they give you. And I think at first only every other row was available in the open sections. But they’ve been opening up new sections all morning. It’s definitely not doing poorly. 

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Let me assist you by yelling at the clouds as well: When Tank Davis fought there pre-pandemic, I was so glad that the arena (then still Royal Farms Arena) still looked basically the same way it did when WWF and WCW ran there in the 80s and 90s. It was instantly recognizable. We've had this discussion before here, but I hate it when all the arenas look the same cause it does nothing to help how it looks on TV.

Could not agree with you more.  Growing up in Detroit, I loved that Joe Louis Arena looked different from Boston Garden, which looked different from The Dallas Sportatorium, which looked different from Maple Leaf Gardens, MSG, etc.  Variety is the spice of life and whatnot.  

• Like 4

No tickets available in either the P7 or P6 categories (the 2nd and 3rd from cheapest) and didn't have it in me to pay £230 for two of the P5s taking into account travel costs, so top tier seating behind the stage let's go!

Am imagining a scenario where holding an arena show in mid-recession, post-Brexit UK results in them having to angle the cameras for a bottom-up view as fans bunch up as far away from the ring as possible.

Nah, if the lower levels are empty, they'll upgrade everyone in the higher levels. That's how it works.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, eikerir said:

well this is exciting

aaaas.jpg

I got some tickets this morning via their early access sale and with the whole seemingly random seat chooser, and got 5 seats in Sec 142, Row 33. Seemed decent value with full ring view and restricted entrance view - hopefully they will be good. Really looking forward to this!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jm29195 said:

I got some tickets this morning via their early access sale and with the whole seemingly random seat chooser, and got 5 seats in Sec 142, Row 33. Seemed decent value with full ring view and restricted entrance view - hopefully they will be good. Really looking forward to this!

Yeah for the price it seems like a good deal, i rather not see the full entrance and be higher up than being way back on the floor seats. I'll make sure to wave back!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jm29195 said:

I got basically the same tier of tickets, a couple of sections along. Should be close enough to see the wrestlers doing wrestling, but not so close that I'm paying £1000 per seat for a show that isn't even guaranteed to be main evented by Orange Cassidy vs Toru Yano.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Please tell me they didn't change the ceiling!

I don't know if there were ever any other remodeling changes besides the re-paint (70s rainbow colors to blue and grey) when they changed the name from The Baltimore Civic Center to The Baltimore Arena, but the place always pretty much looked the same forever aside from that.

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Please tell me they didn't change the ceiling!

I don't know if there were ever any other remodeling changes besides the re-paint (70s rainbow colors to blue and grey) when they changed the name from The Baltimore Civic Center to The Baltimore Arena, but the place always pretty much looked the same forever aside from that.

I don't remember there being cris-crossing beams going across the ceiling like I saw Sunday.  I thought that was a bit emptier.  So yeah that looks like it might have changed.  And sadly the blue and grey is gone inside as it's all about black and gold everywhere.  That alone made me go "Thanks, I hate it" the most.

• Like 1

Ugh.  Another part of my childhood gone!  😛

Man, I saw so much wrestling there.  Sammartino's last match.  That awful pre Mania 3 marathon taping.  All the Bashes.  Bunkhouse Stampedes.  Sting's first world title.  The supremely terrible Bash after Flair left.  The PPV where Vince wrestled Stephanie.  It'll always be the Baltimore Arena to me 😄

• Like 3

I'm gonna say even if they don't sell any more tickets, that's a success, regardless of how many empty seats we see in the building.  It's already way, way past their prior biggest crowd of 20k.

• Like 2