DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Did we know the ethnicity of Wrath and Mortis? We can at least presume Prince Kharis was Egyptian. 

I love those guys, but the second they talk, the aura is broken. Though Glacier was a Georgia boy who went to East Asia to learn his trade and WCW was open about that, so it's easier to accept that maybe Wrath and Mortis did the same for a rival clan or something.

Guleen, on the other hand, hiked up a mountain halfway across the world when he just could have walked into a Minneapolis- or Atlanta-area gym and found a face-painted white dude who could do a nervehold. Poor guy. What wasted time and money.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I love those guys, but the second they talk, the aura is broken. Though Glacier was a Georgia boy who went to East Asia to learn his trade and WCW was open about that, so it's easier to accept that maybe Wrath and Mortis did the same for a rival clan or something.

Guleen, on the other hand, hiked up a mountain halfway across the world when he just could have walked into a Minneapolis- or Atlanta-area gym and found a face-painted white dude who could do a nervehold. Poor guy. What wasted time and money.

Even though Kanyon/Chris Kanyon had been around doing enhancement work for everyone by then and his body type was fairly recognizeable, he was still kinda new on the scene where you can argue that it could be anyone. 

Who didn't know Wrath was Adam Bomb/Nightstalker from the Tennessee area or wherever the hell Bryan Clark is from? Crazy thing is he finally started to get over once he broke off from Vandenburg. It didn't sustain because he was being used as fodder for Kevin Nash really on Nash's road to Goldberg. However, that potential that didn't really show up in the WWF or his short WCW run before that when he was super green finally started to appear.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

It seems like the Tokyo Dome is the only large scale facility Japanese wrestling uses these days.  I'm not sure why,  back in the 90s FMW for example would run baseball stadiums for their big cards. 

NJPW ran a baseball stadium during the pandemic.  Naito got to win in his favorite baseball team's stadium.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wiki tells me Clark is from Tallahassee. 

Doing a little research, he is indeed a Florida guy and even went to some of the shows as a kid with his favorites being Dusty and Buddy Colt.

I think he lived in Knoxville when he was in SMW. 

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Doing a little research, he is indeed a Florida guy and even went to some of the shows as a kid with his favorites being Dusty and Buddy Colt.

I think he lived in Knoxville when he was in SMW. 

Has he ever elaborated on how he ended up breaking into wrestling in the Midwest under Ox Baker? That seems like one hell of an "out of the way" path for a kid that grew up in Florida going to CWF shows, especially since Florida had a bunch of places to train at during the initial late '80s wrestling school boom.

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Has he ever elaborated on how he ended up breaking into wrestling in the Midwest under Ox Baker? That seems like one hell of an "out of the way" path for a kid that grew up in Florida going to CWF shows, especially since Florida had a bunch of places to train at during the initial late '80s wrestling school boom.

The timeline may be a little wonky, but he enlisted at some point since his entire family served and was stationed in all places North Dakota right near the Canadian border. Then after that, he walked on at Central Missouri State (now University of Central Missouri) having taken part in no organized sports at all in high school. So yeah, all the out of the way places seemed to have been the norm.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

Are the French ok? That reaction is something 

time for Baron Corbin to start saying his name with a French accent

Bahhh-rowwwwn Coreee-biiii

"but why does he pronounce the N in Baron but not in Corbin"