DVDVR Message Board

WrestleZAYNia XXXIX - 4/1 & 4/2/2023

Dolfan in NYC

30 minutes ago, A_K said:

Yeah I think the bolded part is the problem for him. So many talented players coming out of or into new significant programs (fingers crossed for LA Knight) that he’ll have his work cut out for him to carve a niche outside of the Rey work. That said, suspect this Rey program continues through at least one more PPV before he eventually goes over.

And speaking of going over, suspect that Roman wins tonight unless he is taking a break. Given Uso’s already dropped their straps there is some mileage in continuing the Bloodline story  w/ Roman as only belt holder and as another poster mentioned Cody having to overcome some adversity. Could be a Wrestlemania 2000 redux where the belt gets dropped shortly afterwards at Backlash / Summerslam. With the ratings so strong, suspect they’ll want to squeeze every last bit of blood from this stone. Cody’s been part of this story for a comparatively small amount of time. 

As much as I want you to be right, all signs point to a Cody win, however one thing I grasped from the video packages this week is that Romans run doesn’t feel finished just yet. 

• Like 1

Where would a Reigns run even go from here? He's literally beat everyone. What would be the point of him retaining here just to lose a rematch to Cody at the next PPV? It's time to wrap the Bloodline story in it's current form up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Steventon said:

Where would a Reigns run even go from here? He's literally beat everyone. What would be the point of him retaining here just to lose a rematch to Cody at the next PPV? It's time to wrap the Bloodline story in it's current form up.

Feud with The Rock for the titles, maybe? Have Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens go after the titles again? But yeah, they're running out of road for Reigns as Double Champion.

20 minutes ago, Steventon said:

Conversely, where does a Rhodes storyline go off the bat? Unless Roman goes on break, then there would need to be a rematch given longevity of the title reign. Does Rhodes really go over consecutively? On what basis would they just cut Reigns out from the title picture immediately while he remains an active talent? 

Seems consensus is that Rhodes goes over tonight, but I don’t think they’ll dispense with Roman’s nigh on historic reign at the first attempt so cleanly. We shall see.

I initially made a joke about Shane McMahon blowing out his knee, but had second thoughts - it’s a lousy thing to have happen like that.

Edited by Hamhock

Lol, I feel bad for Shane, but after all the I’m-too-old-to-take-this-bump spots he’s done over the last ten years, did anyone guess he would blow out a knee doing a leapfrog.

Shane’s almost my age,  I’m going to show my wife the footage next time she asks why I stretch so much before and after a run.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Keep going back and forth on Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and who will win. Reigns is so close to 1,000 days as WWE Universal Champion, shame it's not with the belt with all the history and names who have held it, the WWE Championship. Reigns is a day short of holding the WWE Championship for a year which so few men have. Cody Rhodes returned to WWE a year ago at WrestleMania XXXVIII beating Seth Rollins and a year later in the main event going for a title his Dad never held. It's the biggest stage to end Roman Reigns err reign on so I think Cody Rhodes wins. You get the story of the Bloodline's fall.

Brock vs. Omos wasn't good at all. Typical “Brock just cashing that check” match. Yes, Omos got put over by Brock – but Omos just isn't that good. If it went longer, it would have been one of Omos' better matches but he's just not there yet.

The women's showcase match....oof. They had dives but they were sloppy. The men's showcase match was better because the spots were absolutely impressive. Shayna Brazler got injured in the early parts of the match (at first I thought Ronda & her were just like “Fuck this” and walked out) and the finish was deflating to watch.

Gunther vs. McIntyre vs. Sheamus is one of the better triple threat matches I've seen. I like how the match was focused around strikes although I didn't like them tossing out finishing moves for near falls though.

Belair vs. Asuka is Belair's best match. Not as good as Rhea vs. Charlotte (which is an all-time classic), but nothing is. Wished Asuka busted out a Shining Wizard or a moonsault like her hero Keiji Mutoh, but still a great match.

Yikes....Shane McMahon comes back and hurts himself on a leapfrog. It wasn't his quad, but his knee maybe his ankle. Snoop Dogg had no idea what happened and got told by the ref (or the Miz) to do an audible.

Edge vs. Balor was a bit of a letdown – not as crazy as past HIAC matches. I wonder if Balor getting hit with the ladder stopping the match was out of concussion fears. I can't tell if Balor got busted open or not. At least no one dived off the top of the cage.

Reigns vs. Cody is the slowest paced match I've ever seen....I'm not really a fan of how Roman Reigns does his main event matches. They feel like the same match regardless of opponent. Reigns does his moves....there's a lot of stalling and a lot of selling then interference. Then a ref bump. Then more interference. Then Owens & Zayn hit their finishers...yet the match doesn't end. All other matches (like Rey/Dom, Rhea/Charlotte, Owens & Zayn/Usos) you didn't want to end....then, that finish. Seriously, fuck Roman Reigns. I don't get why the crowd didn't start throwing trash into the ring or a few didn't jump the barricade and beat the shit outta Reigns.

• Like 1

Things I remember from Night 2

Brock follows his Saudimania approach by appearing early and getting it over with. It's pretty much what you'd expect.

The Women's tag match was there.

Gunther and Sheamus and Drew is everything you'd want 

Bianca and Asuka was good

Cya in a year, Shano Mac

Edge/Finn Balor had a cage that seemed too small and too tall. Finn had his goofy paint and lost after a long time.

Cody Lugar loses in the main event to Roman Reigns. So who does Roman defend against at Wrestlemania 40?