DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I know he supposedly looked great during his first day but, man, Bryce Young looks really, really small next to NFL linemen:

http://twitter.com/SteveReedAP/status/1657075461128585225

He does literally look like a kid next to them.

It's gonna be interesting. Nobody close to this small has ever been drafted even remotely close to this high.

The Drew Brees comparisons kill me though. Like, until I actually see somebody else do it, I'm gonna be convinced Brees was a "one of one" no matter how distasteful I find the things he sometimes says. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He does literally look like a kid next to them.

It's gonna be interesting. Nobody close to this small has ever been drafted even remotely close to this high.

The Drew Brees comparisons kill me though. Like, until I actually see somebody else do it, I'm gonna be convinced Brees was a "one of one" no matter how distasteful I find the things he sometimes says. 

He’s gonna get killed. First on-field death in NFL history 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

He’s gonna get killed. First on-field death in NFL history 

Shout out to Chuck Hughes, who died on the field in a game in 1971. 

And they finished the game, after he was taken off the field and to a local hospital. 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

And they finished the game, after he was taken off the field and to a local hospital. 

oh shoot.  Didn't know.  Damn.  Head trauma?

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Technically he died at the hospital after the game was over.

Lawful: heart attack

• Like 1

I presume since his injury/medical incident happened on the field, everyone considers it an on field death.

it’s even more depressing than it sounds, since he was playing injured and probably shouldn’t have been active, having an injured spleen..

The Vikings are trading Za'Darius Smith to the Browns

Full Deal is 

Browns get

• Smith
  • 2025 sixth-round pick
  • 2025 seventh-round pick

Vikings get

• 2024 fifth-round pick
  • 2025 fifth-round pick
  • (they also free up cap space)

On 5/12/2023 at 8:44 PM, RIPPA said:

Yeah - it shows you again the power the Amazon deal is now gonna have over the NFL

In further reading - apparently the 2nd choice game (besides Fins/Jets) was Giants/Eagles so it was clear once Amazon said they wanted a New York team, they were getting a New York team

How long until Amazon airs a Cyber Monday game?

• Haha 1

This would be the opposite of a vote of confidence

The Cowboys have one kicker on the team right now, but it doesn’t sound like Tristan Vizcaino should assume he will be on the team come September.

Special teams coach John Fassell sent that message during the team’s rookie minicamp this week. Fassell mentioned veterans like Mason Crosby, Robbie Gould, and Ryan Succop as possible free agent acquisitions, but didn’t draw the line at those who have had success in the NFL in the past when discussing possible additions to the roster.

“We have Tristan on the roster. Anybody else on Earth who is not on the team right now, is under consideration,” Fassel said, via the team’s website. “That’s everyone really. I think we have a lot of different guys that we’re still looking at — XFL, USFL, veterans on the street, younger guys who still haven’t found their way.”

Looks like Matt Ryan is going to be the new lead color guy for CBS. 

Oddly, he says he's "not sure" if he's done playing yet or not, so he has not filed retirement papers yet.  He really did become Jeff George, didn't he?

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oddly, he says he's "not sure" if he's done playing yet or not, so he has not filed retirement papers yet.  He really did become Jeff George, didn't he?

As long as Nance is there, it really doesn't matter. . . 

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record - CBS says he will be NFL Studio and Game analyst so I don't think he is replacing Romo at the #1 color guy

It more appears he will be in the studio and then do games when they need an extra analyst

Assuming, as you mention, he doesn't get an offer to play for someone

Nj.com is reporting that Saquon rejected a "multiyear deal worth $14m per".  

He apparently wants the same deal Christian McCaffrey got.  Notably, since he's on the franchise tag this year, if he gets franchised again, they'll owe him $22.5m

Hoo Boy - let the shit show begin

The NFL has signed a 1 year deal with Peacock to exclusively live stream a Wild Card playoff game

Peacock is paying $110 million to stream the game

I bolded exclusively to make it clear that (outside of possibly the local markets) you will only be able to watch a playoff game via streaming

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hoo Boy - let the shit show begin

The NFL has signed a 1 year deal with Peacock to exclusively live stream a Wild Card playoff game

Peacock is paying $110 million to stream the game

I bolded exclusively to make it clear that (outside of possibly the local markets) you will only be able to watch a playoff game via streaming

Unless the Commissioner wants to unify both parties in Congress into something they can agree on, that game will be on the NBC affiliate in the local markets and possibly the secondary markets. 

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Unless the Commissioner wants to unify both parties in Congress into something they can agree on, that game will be on the NBC affiliate in the local markets and possibly the secondary markets. 

It will definitely still air on local markets, be curious to see if any secondary markets complain loudly enough to get an exception. As a diehard wrestling fan I already have Peacock so no real difference to me either way.

14 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It will definitely still air on local markets, be curious to see if any secondary markets complain loudly enough to get an exception. As a diehard wrestling fan I already have Peacock so no real difference to me either way.

It technically will change for folks if you are getting Peacock free via Comcast/Xfinity.

I mentioned this is the Hollywood $$$ thread but - the free for subscriber perk ends in late June

The Jets are reportedly lobbying to be the annual host of the Black Friday game which clearly Amazon will want so expect that to happen

14 hours ago, Robert C said:

Wonder if anybody at Amazon actually seen the Jets play in the last 50 odd years?

Did you watch TNF last year? Hideously unwatchable football is their brand identity.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 5:32 PM, Mister TV said:

I had totally forgotten about the outcry from Congress getting the Pats/Giants 07 season finale on broadcast TV instead of just NFL network until the moment I read this post.