DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

On 9/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Matt D said:

A hell of a thing:

Don't get too excited for this. Eddie backed out of a Defy show he was supposed to be on tonight by posting on Twitter that he needs to stop doing Indies effective immediately because of a back issue.

• Sad 1

ROLVIVIVI.jpg?v=1690841022

Lucha Bro's are putting on a pretty nice looking card if your in the socal area 

*THE LUCHA BROS + KONOSUKE TAKESHITA 
VS
LA REBELION (BESTIA 666 & MECHA WOLF) + SHUN SKYWALKER

*BILLIE STARKZ VS BLACK SWAN

*REY HORUS VS BAD DUDE TITO

*DARIUS MARTIN & ACTION ANDRETTI VS ARAMIS & ZOKRE

*TAYA VALKYRIE & JOHNNY TV VS LINCE DORADO & SIMONE WILLIAMS

*BANDIDO VS ?

PLUS SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY THUNDER ROSA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ASÉ (@ASEWrestling)

Darius Lockhart started his own promotion, in North Carolina, and this is one of the matches he booked for his first show.

NOT for the Pan-Afrikan World Diaspora title though, because

Spoiler

Trish lost it to Suge D over the weekend

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:13 PM, Zimbra said:

Masaaki Mochizuki is coming back to the US for the first time in like a decade.  He's going to be wrestling for Revolver in Des Moines so I think I'm driving down because when do you have the chance to see Mochizuki live?

It'll be Mochizuki vs Mike Bailey in Iowa on December 2.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:01 PM, Technico Support said:

Does anyone here have IWTV and could let me know how quickly West Coast Pro posts their shows?  I want to see Chris Hero's return match.  Thanks!

That one is going to be streaming live on YouTube. But the last WC Pro show that was on YT then showed up on IWTV I think seven days later.

• Thanks 1

So I decided to subscribe to IWTV again and I started watching West Coast Pro's last show, West Coast 5.  Here are some words about it if you're so inclined!

"Speedball" Mike Bailey vs Alpha Zo: Zo is apparently a lower/mid carder who always tries hard but never quite gets there.  Mike Bailey is Mike Bailey and all that entails.  Fun match with Zo almost getting there but being outclassed by the more experienced Bailey.  There's a fun spot on the floor where Baily picks up his wife, Veda Scott (who is on commentary) into a fireman's carry and uses the added weight to drop a double knee on Zo.  Bailey goes for the Ultimo Weapon several times but can't get it.  Maybe if he didn't waste time doing the karate pose during the setup every fucking time, he'd be able to hit the move.  Alpha Zo actually wins but I'm typing this from memory and can't remember what he won with.  So hopefully this leads to a Zo push because he's pretty good.

Bryan Keith vs Jiah Jewell: Bryan Keith is awesome.  He had a tremendous showing at this year's BOLA, including an incredible bout vs Masha Slamovich.  You need to check that out.  He also had a sweet, albeit short, match vs Hangman on Rampage.  I hope more big things are coming for him.  Jiah Jewell has a body like 2005 Peter Avalon and works a gimmick as "The Crazy Cajun."  This feels like his ceiling.  HIs big move is "The Gator Roll," of course, wherein he gets you in a grounded front facelock and rolls around. Feels like something out of Champions of the Galaxy.  Match is fine.  Keith covers up a Jewell blown spot with a nasty forearm and wins with a Tiger Driver.

West Coast Wrecking Crew (Royce Isaacs & Jorel Nelson) vs Calvin Tankman & BEEF: This was an open challenge from the WCWC.  Matchmaker Chris Hero shows up to tell the announcer who the opponents are, and I give up all hope that Hero is getting in shape for his return.  That's not a bad thing, though, as chubby Hero kicked all kinds of ass on his last indy run.  I'm hoping he can recapture that magic.  Speaking of ass kickers of size, the mystery opponents are TANK-MAN and BEEF.  I haven't seen Beef since the last time I subbed to IWTV (mid-2021), when he worked as "Big Beef" Gnarls Garvin and was all over Paradigm Pro.  He apparently still goes by his old name in some places.  Anyhoo, this is essentially and extended squash to establish BEEFTANK as the new team on the scene, and it is GREAT.  I can never remember Jorel Nelson's last name and keep referring to him as "Jerelle Clark," which is not correct.

Chikayo Nagashima, Johnnie Robbie, Rachael Ellering & Unagi Sayaka vs Magenta (Maria & Riko Kawahata), Mio Momono & Sandra Moone: Forgive me, I'm only familiar with Ellering and Moone.  Nagashima looks like she crafted her gear from stuffed animals she killed in the wild.  This is a fun scramble reminiscent of the days when WCW would just throw random luchadores out there and give them a few minutes to go crazy.  Action packed and really fun, but, because of my lack on familiarity with the joshi talent, it was hard to keep track of which team was doing what.  Ellering hits a MONSTROUS Bosslady Slam on one of the Magenta team members (FUCK do I love a Bossman slam) and the Johnnie Robbie, who is working a "scumbag" gimmick, I guess, steals the win from her partner.  Great match.

Masato Tanaka vs Vinnie Massaro:  I don't know who Vinnie Massaro is.  Apparently he's been wrestling since 97 and yeah, that tracks.  He looks like every weekend warrior part time wrestler dad you'd see on your local indy before indies actually got good. You know, when every show was headlined by Jimmy Snuka vs Metal Maniac.  Apparently he's the promotion's resident veteran.  He's wrestling Tanaka because both are limited, garbage wrestlers.  Massaro has gear touting the "Snoring Hammer" and "Snoring Elbow" and I can't tell if that's a reference to the fact that those moves knock you out, or if it means he's boring to watch, or maybe he has sleep apnea.  Tanaka looks great for 50.  This is made a no DQ match at the start and it reminds me of the time Chris Dickinson wrestled no-talent Matthew Justice and it suddenly was made into a no DQ match because that's all Justice can do.    Early on, Tanaka pulls out a chair and I say to myself, "if they start doing unprotected chairshots, I'm out."  Tanaka proceeds to throw the chair at Massaro in the most gingerly fasshion and I feel like we're safe.  Massaro blades off of this because of course he does.  Shortly thereafter, both guys pull out chairs and proceed to have an unprotected chair shot fight and I FFWD to the end because fuck this dumb bullshit in 2023.  Massaro wins with a rolling elbow and who gives a fuck?

I'm roughly halfway through the show and I definitely recommend checking it out except for that last match.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

West Coast Wrecking Crew (Royce Isaacs & Jorel Nelson) vs Calvin Tankman & BEEF: This was an open challenge from the WCWC.  Matchmaker Chris Hero shows up to tell the announcer who the opponents are, and I give up all hope that Hero is getting in shape for his return.  That's not a bad thing, though, as chubby Hero kicked all kinds of ass on his last indy run.  I'm hoping he can recapture that magic.  Speaking of ass kickers of size, the mystery opponents are TANK-MAN and BEEF.  I haven't seen Beef since the last time I subbed to IWTV (mid-2021), when he worked as "Big Beef" Gnarls Garvin and was all over Paradigm Pro.  He apparently still goes by his old name in some places.  Anyhoo, this is essentially and extended squash to establish BEEFTANK as the new team on the scene, and it is GREAT.  I can never remember Jorel Nelson's last name and keep referring to him as "Jerelle Clark," which is not correct.

Big bonus points for the Champions of the Galaxy reference.

What did you think of Tankman?  I definitely am impressed more often than not. 

I am not a fan of Massaro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

Big bonus points for the Champions of the Galaxy reference.

What did you think of Tankman?  I definitely am impressed more often than not. 

I am not a fan of Massaro.

My finish is always (+3)

Tankman is awesome.  Love that guy.

Every time I see a guy working a stereotypical Italian gimmick, all I hear is the Deadlock boys yelling "GABBAGOO MUDDAFUGGAAAAAHHHHH"

On 10/31/2023 at 12:39 PM, Matt D said:

So if they can get Billie Starkz too.... Rousey/Shafir vs Athena/Starkz is something I had no idea I wanted but I kind of do.

embedding fucked. and it's not letting me post images directly anymore.  But this is now the official main event!

https://twitter.com/PWRevolver/status/1720254227048530099

• Thanks 2

Emi Sakura was unable to attend the Wrestling Open show she was scheduled to work last night (she was supposed to do a pre-show seminar too). But she travelled to Massachusetts anyway, because she was also booke on tomorrow's Daikaiju Pro show. Which she has now been cancelled off of, due to "contractual obligations" of some description.

https://vxtwitter.com/DaikaijuPro/status/1720524566882127927

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Emi Sakura was unable to attend the Wrestling Open show she was scheduled to work last night (she was supposed to do a pre-show seminar too). But she travelled to Massachusetts anyway, because she was also booke on tomorrow's Daikaiju Pro show. Which she has now been cancelled off of, due to "contractual obligations" of some description.

https://vxtwitter.com/DaikaijuPro/status/1720524566882127927

Won’t be at Daikaiju because of a last minute Collision booking, if anyone wanted an answer to this.

Wrestling Open was because of a flight delay.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1