DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

For the self flagellating contingent we have here:

For those of you who have forgotten what Darkest Dungeon does to people.

I personally am looking forward to this game ruining my life.

Oh shit. DD2?! I’m guessing this is how they’re dodging getting their first iteration taken down. 

Lord. May as well give this one a go too and get my ass kicked by fireflies and really slow skeletons.

Nintendo Treehouse streaming for 2 hours before Midnight EDT of Zelda. 

of course, the hardcores will have been playing/watching streams on the Australian feed since early Thursday US time. 

With how zealous Nintendo is starting to get with everything (See their nuking of Lockpick and other stuff off Github), I'm guessing they're going to start doing something about creating international accoutns to get around release timing fairly soon.

I can’t speak for all of them, but I know at least one big name video game site did not get a preview copy of Zelda (as of Wednesday). Which in a way is funny, since they could be played the leaked version if they wanted, on the down low. 

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I can’t speak for all of them, but I know at least one big name video game site did not get a preview copy of Zelda (as of Wednesday). Which in a way is funny, since they could be played the leaked version if they wanted, on the down low. 

God, I hope you’re talking about IGN.

50 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Kotaku, right? One of their editors threw a fairly big hissyfit about not getting a review copy.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:40 PM, SirSmUgly said:

As someone who thinks that Dread is the best Metroid game and that Prime is proof that Metroid in 3D is complete ass, I wonder if you get fed up with Prime ten times as quickly.

Update us on what you think of it.

OK, so I turned off all the excessive aiming tweaks and just settled on standard lock-on and...

I kinda like this.

I haven't gone very far: missile and morph ball upgrades, and unlocking the 2 lower cavern entrances that are accessed through Tallon and Chozo, but I like how it feels.  Switching back and forth between morph and standing felt a little kludgy at first, but once you really get going with it, the movement feels pretty smooth.  Maybe it's lame to say I enjoy Metroid borrowing heavily from FPSs, but let's face it, I'm 10x better at FPS as a genre than I am at 2D platforming/run-and-gunning, and anything much harder than Super Metroid is probably going to make me hate life (which certainly describes Dread upon release; I do wonder how much easier the easy mode is but no one has really given a blow-by-blow comparison that I've seen).  I think the only thing that's not 'natural', and it's probably because I've barely played so far, is scanning stuff. 

I've only had the two semi-wimpy semi-bosses so far that block the upgrade paths, but I'm already thinking to myself, "OK, where the fuck are charge and grapple, because these dinky fuckers are annoying." But regardless, I imagine I'll play this through, assuming its casual mode is actually pretty casual (seems like it, I already have 2 energy upgrades and I barely get hit anyway).

Also, I've barely begun to dig at what's going with respect to the actual plot, such as it is, but I'm already thinking to myself that a better title to the game than "Metroid: Prime" would have been "Metroid: The Great Chozo Fuck-Up".

Edited by Contentious C

There are people in "Nintendo Jail" for the dumbest of reasons and they're essentially kept in there for life. Just a few months ago people were speculating why Brad and Nextlander and I suppose Giant Bomb were/are in Nintendo Jail and Brad shot all of the reasons down. He didn't specify why because it would cause more issues, but of the reasons he shot down were breaking embargo by talking about a product or accidentally leaking something. That essentially leaves the typical making fun of Nintendo for being different or weird.

So basically, if you don't bend the knee and if you dare make fun of Nintendo, you're going to wind up in Nintendo Jail. That's the only reason anyone could come up with if the other bigger reasons like breaking embargo weren't the actual reason. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

There are people in "Nintendo Jail" for the dumbest of reasons and they're essentially kept in there for life. Just a few months ago people were speculating why Brad and Nextlander and I suppose Giant Bomb were/are in Nintendo Jail and Brad shot all of the reasons down. He didn't specify why because it would cause more issues, but of the reasons he shot down were breaking embargo by talking about a product or accidentally leaking something. That essentially leaves the typical making fun of Nintendo for being different or weird.

So basically, if you don't bend the knee and if you dare make fun of Nintendo, you're going to wind up in Nintendo Jail. That's the only reason anyone could come up with if the other bigger reasons like breaking embargo weren't the actual reason. 

I feel like I could come up with more then just a couple reasons one could land in “Nintendo jail” and I feel like the guy would probably just say something if it were as simple as “we made fun of Nintendo”, so I think you’re jumping to a conclusion.  Just my opinion, though.

Hollow Knight: Silksong has been delayed

It didn't have an official release date just "hoped to release in 1st half of 2023"

No other details were shared other than "they will say more when closer to release"

• Sad 2

From the videos I’ve seen of Tears and its predecessor, 16GB or around there seems about right. It doesn’t look particularly gorgeous or amazing or anything, IMO.

5 hours ago, dogwelder said:

A leaker on Twitter is claiming the next Mortal Kombat game will be called Mortal Kombat 1:

I saw some bigger fans of MK like Jeff Gerstman and others speculate that MK would reboot and go back to the beginning because they basically wrapped up the story with the last two games. I doubt I'll ever go back and play either, but I should see if there's a compilation of videos on YouTube that tell the story from those games. I looked into that with Injustice, the game, and the video was like hours long. I was kinda shocked at just how many cutscenes Injustice had.