DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

WTF?! I guess it's not the biggest deal in the world and I've mainly been playing most games on quality mode at 30 fps, but that's been on the PS5. I figured with the XSX being the more powerful system it wouldn't be an issue there.

I feel like the “OMG! 30 fps!!! Woe, the inhumanity!” reactions are overblown, but, on the other hand, the optics are terrible.  Xbox seems stuck in a loop where they promise a lot and deliver either delays or problem games.  Considering how few high-profile games they’ve delivered lately, they probably need Redfall to be a hit.  

I’m not put off by 30 fps, but Redfall hasn’t grabbed me either.  It’s mostly on my radar because I liked Arkane’s previous games.

23 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Redfall announced the console version will be stuck at 30 FPS and the internet is NOT PLEASED.

Pretty inexcusable in 2023 for a AAA FPS to not be 60 FPS. So I understand the annoyance.

It's already been delayed way past its original launch window and it's obvious that the engine is still not quite there.   Doesn't surprise me that they will do the same thing that CDPR did with Cyberpunk 2007 which finally has tweaked ray tracing nearly three years after release.

Bethesda probably has all of it's eggs in Starfield's basket and could probably care less if Redfall tanks.  They will write off the business loss and ride out the tide of ridicule and  backlash.

10 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Xbox seems stuck in a loop where they promise a lot and deliver either delays or problem games.

It's not just XBox.  Lots of companies are overpromising and underproducing these days.  Customers have not adapted to the new AAA development cycle which can take forever.   There are still franchises out there that get their titles out annually, but new IPs are a bitch to get to market and gamers are still wrapped up in the culture of immediate gratification.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is described as the last "pre-launch" trailer

LET'S FUCKING GO! Finally, proper Ganondorf.

And Link with the ancient guardian arm is giving me Finn from Adventure Time vibes.

• Like 1

Now that the Silver Box games and other D&D games out, the publishers of the re-releases say that they have purchased the rights to more SSI games and plan on re-releasing them too.

Would LOVE to see Roadwar 2000/Roadwar Europa/Sword of Aragon get rereleased

Absolutely, we’ve managed to acquire rights to a few SSI classics that were also lost for many years and are working on bringing them back. We’ll reveal more information on those soon. Stay tuned."

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2023/04/directors-restoring-gold-box-classic-dd-games-working-on-lost-ssi-games.html

• Like 1

I could put this all in the DC game thread - but that thread really does seem cursed now

The last line is in reference to the fact that it will be 9 years since Arkham Knight came out... assuming Suicide Squad now hits the 2/2/24 date

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Kill the Justice League delayed… again 

Not until 2024 now

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I could put this all in the DC game thread - but that thread really does seem cursed now

The last line is in reference to the fact that it will be 9 years since Arkham Knight came out... assuming Suicide Squad now hits the 2/2/24 date

"It's still good! It's still good!"

Immortals of Aveum

Gina Torres is one of the characters so this instantly has my attention

The main character is portrayed by Darren Barnet - this is of way less interest to me

On 4/13/2023 at 9:18 AM, J.T. said:

Customers have not adapted to the new AAA development cycle which can take forever.   There are still franchises out there that get their titles out annually, but new IPs are a bitch to get to market and gamers are still wrapped up in the culture of immediate gratification.

maybe, and i'm just spitballing here, but maybe companies shouldn't announce and overhype a game YEARS before it's going to be ready for release? 

"build up anticipation -> delay release -> re-start hype machine -> fail to deliver -> start over with new franchise"  seems like a very tiring cycle.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

maybe, and i'm just spitballing here, but maybe companies shouldn't announce and overhype a game YEARS before it's going to be ready for release? 

"build up anticipation -> delay release -> re-start hype machine -> fail to deliver -> start over with new franchise"  seems like a very tiring cycle.

I do not disagree.  Part of the problem is that companies are also trapped in the old way of thinking when it comes to development cycles.   They are in the habit of generating buzz at the onset of development only for it to take years to get a product to market.  That's not even taking the inevitable release delays into consideration.

By the time the game appears to be ready to hit shelves, people are burned out from anticipation and simply don't care anymore.  Either that, or the game is in eternal alpha and maybe on the verge of becoming vaporware.

Edited by J.T.

That's why I stopped buying physical copies of games. What's the point? It's basically just a junk access key that allows you to download the game. The next physical version of a game I'm buying is Tears of the Kingdom and that's only because it's for my daughter's birthday and I'm getting the collector's edition. After that, I'll probably buy FF7 Rebirth (Remake Part 2) for the same reason - Christmas present for my daughter, probably the collector's edition.

• Like 2