DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I never played Cities Skylines, but I used to watch a bunch of YouTube videos for it while working or while gaming. I'd put a video on my second monitor while doing work or gaming on my other one. The shit, and I guess literal shit, people would do in Cities was pretty hilarious. And a lot of rube goldberg type stuff people would design rivaled what I would see people do in Minecraft.

Guys - I bring you the most shocking news ever. I can't believe I am about to type this

Starfield is delayed till Sept (Sept 6 to be exact)

(There will be a Direct specifically about Starfield on June 11)

• Haha 3

In the meanwhile, the only thing holding No Man's Sky back from making Starfield completely irrelevant is a strong single player storyline that goes beyond finding the center of the universe.

I fired up No Man's Sky the other day after the Fractals update and the first thing I thought of was that Starfield has it's work cut out for them.

EDIT: Oh man, I didn't notice this on my initial watch, but I paid more attention to the game being played in the background on second viewing. The running animation is EXACTLY the same as it is in the Fallout games. I'm not sure that's a good thing for what it may portend.

Edited by Craig H

Every time I fire up No Man's Sky I'm completely underwhelmed and overwhelmed at the same time.

It would take a whole lot more than a good single player storyline to get people to not care about a game that's basically Fallout in Space.

• Like 1

How about if people are actually wise to the fact that Fallout in it's current form from Fallout 4 and 76 is complete shit, uses a busted engine, will likely be buggy as hell, and includes a lot of the tedium from No Man's Sky?

Its one saving grace is that it will be on Game Pass and Bethesda will get to say they've had however many first day downloads, which is a pointless stat. I want this game to be good. I'm not remotely confident it will be good. But hey, at least it's free on Game Pass...

I'm pretty sure everyone knows all of that about the Fallout games, but nobody really cares. Give your average not-terminally-online gamer a choice between this and No Man's Sky and 9 times out of 10 they'll pick the former. 100%.

And, IMO, F4 and F76 are perfectly fine entries into the series.

I hate Fallout 4, but maybe they'll give Obsidian Fallout 5 or something.

But most people seem fine with the direction that 4 took, so they'll do more of that.

The last thing people who like open-world Bethesda are worried about is jank.

10 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The last thing people who like open-world Bethesda are worried about is jank.

Until they start playing it and it's the first thing they complain about like it's never been a problem before.

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I hate Fallout 4, but maybe they'll give Obsidian Fallout 5 or something.

New Vegas is still my favorite, even if time hasn’t been kind to that game. Outer Worlds is fantastic, and only semi-open world. So, yes, do that Bethesda. Please.

I only hated the base building in Fallout 4. I was generally okay with everything else about the game. Didn’t love the story or anything, but it had its moments. 76 is what it is. I don’t think that type of game lends itself well to Fallout, but it’s not terrible or anything. Plus it got me a Power Armor helmet to display, and some little old school army men type figures of Fallout creatures and characters. I got the collector’s edition fuckin’ DIRT cheap on eBay about a year after that game was released, so that’s cool.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Until they start playing it and it's the first thing they complain about like it's never been a problem before.

I feel like this is a feature and not a bug for them, like old men complaining about all their aches and pains. It's not about the jank. It's about the shared experience of complaining about jank that they ultimately are willing to live with that matters to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Not gonna lie, I'm all in on that Robocop game, especially if there's detective stuff involved.

Now that I'm thinking about it, with all the detective stories in pretty much every other form of media, there aren't nearly enough detective video games.  

• Like 1

The people who made the recent Terminator game are making the Robocop one. So I don’t expect it to be mind blowing or anything, but it’ll be pretty good if that Terminator game is anything to go by.

Although their Rambo game is one of the worst IP based games ever made, so. Mixed bag here.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The people who made the recent Terminator game are making the Robocop one. So I don’t expect it to be mind blowing or anything, but it’ll be pretty good if that Terminator game is anything to go by.

Although their Rambo game is one of the worst IP based games ever made, so. Mixed bag here.

Rambo must be a cursed series. I once owned the NES Rambo cart and my god, you want to talk about bad games, that was an all-timer.

As a reminder for folks who are interested - the Resident Evil 4 remake demo is out (called the Chainsaw Demo)

Unsurprisingly you are playing the opening of the game

On 3/10/2023 at 1:53 AM, Death From Above said:

Rambo must be a cursed series. I once owned the NES Rambo cart and my god, you want to talk about bad games, that was an all-timer.

I think the only decent one was the Sega Master System game which was just a top down shooter so it wasn't too hard to mess that up.