DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

GoW: Ragnarok wasn't delayed. And I'm pretty sure Horizon: Forbidden West never had a day and month release for 2021 when they pushed it back to 2/18/22. It was just a vague "late 2021" release date, iirc.

😛

1 hour ago, Casey said:

GoW: Ragnarok wasn't delayed. And I'm pretty sure Horizon: Forbidden West never had a day and month release for 2021 when they pushed it back to 2/18/22. It was just a vague "late 2021" release date, iirc.

😛

I'm considering it a delay if a game was given a vague window and it then missed the window 😄  Since technically that's still a delay in the eyes of fans, developers should just stay mum until they know what's up. Although GoW is certainly not as bad as announcing a firm date and a few months before saying 'oops!'

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, Craig H said:

I had literally seen nothing of Redguard until today. So until today I thought it was probably going to be some kind of spinoff from the Elder Scrolls, something more linear. 

Now that I know what Redguard is, I'm not sure if I care about it anymore.

Didn't they mention and show it was a vampire game last summer? How did you only find out recently?

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Didn't they mention and show it was a vampire game last summer? How did you only find out recently?

Uh, because I didn't? I don't work in games journalism, I don't pay attention to each and every game coming out, I have a one year old and and 12 year old, and my mind is usually in a million different places.

Kind of a weird question.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, supremebve said:

I was wondering if I was the only one that caught that, lol. 

If you looked at the posts where it was trending, it was a bunch of Black Twitter snarking about how of course that would be trending during Black History Month, but in increasingly funny and creative ways. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/hogwarts-legacy?ref=hp

Hogwarts Legacy currently has a 85 on Metacritic. Notably, IGN gave the game a 9/10.

This isn't a post to enter into the debate about the Harry Potter creator and her personal views. While I find them abhorrent, a lot of video game sites aren't going to review the game. Eurogamer for example.

The problem is if people boycott games based on circumstances happening outside of the game, there wouldn't be that many games to play. Atomic Heart (which is even more egregious due to their connection to Russia) isn't getting any boycott calls at all and it's very likely sites will review it.

I'll just say use your own best judgment with buying or playing the game. I won't say if I'm going to buy it or even play it though.

I already bought it. I in no way support the TERF bullshit thinly veiled anti-trans remarks from JK Rowling and my purchase of this game isn't tantamount to supporting those claims. I'm sure there are more than a few people working on the game that don't support or share her views too.

Look, JK Rowling is a piece of shit. Feel free to disagree with that if you want. It's my own opinion. She's also insanely rich. If a handful of gamers or reviewers boycott the game then it sadly isn't going to make a dent in her coffers and she is barely likely to notice.

I'm curious to see what someone on the LGBTQ+ side of the fence thinks about my next thought, which is that if the game looks cool to you then play the game. If the sticking point for a consumer is that buying it or playing it supports JK Rowling, then think about more from the perspective that you're really supporting the people who made the game. If the game tanks, that's ANOTHER game studio that is going to take the axe to their pool of employees. I'd rather see this group of developers succeed or thrive so they have something successful to put on their resume or to eventually form their own team and leave and make their own game with another company.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I already bought it. I in no way support the TERF bullshit thinly veiled anti-trans remarks from JK Rowling and my purchase of this game isn't tantamount to supporting those claims. I'm sure there are more than a few people working on the game that don't support or share her views too.

Look, JK Rowling is a piece of shit. Feel free to disagree with that if you want. It's my own opinion. She's also insanely rich. If a handful of gamers or reviewers boycott the game then it sadly isn't going to make a dent in her coffers and she is barely likely to notice.

I'm curious to see what someone on the LGBTQ+ side of the fence thinks about my next thought, which is that if the game looks cool to you then play the game. If the sticking point for a consumer is that buying it or playing it supports JK Rowling, then think about more from the perspective that you're really supporting the people who made the game. If the game tanks, that's ANOTHER game studio that is going to take the axe to their pool of employees. I'd rather see this group of developers succeed or thrive so they have something successful to put on their resume or to eventually form their own team and leave and make their own game with another company.

I get not playing it if Rowling ruined the game for you. I also get saying, "Well, Rowling already made her money selling IP rights to WB, so what the heck." 

I also get buying it used so WB never sees any money from your purchase. 

There are lots of options, and I support people taking whichever option sits right with them. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just the other day I think Grubb guessed it would be on or around this date, mainly because they did one last year.

My poor daughter is hoping they'll show Tears of the Kingdom. Such sweet innocence.

Meanwhile, I'm just again hoping for Metroid Prime re-releases and the Toon Link trilogy.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Just say you don't give a fuck about trans people and move on. It's shorter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of calls for boycotting Atomic Heart too, they just aren’t as loud as the Hogwarts stuff because, y’know, it’s Harry Potter and the franchise is massive on a worldwide scale.