DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's why I stopped buying physical copies of games. What's the point? It's basically just a junk access key that allows you to download the game. The next physical version of a game I'm buying is Tears of the Kingdom and that's only because it's for my daughter's birthday and I'm getting the collector's edition. After that, I'll probably buy FF7 Rebirth (Remake Part 2) for the same reason - Christmas present for my daughter, probably the collector's edition.

I usually try to get physical switch carts especially for first party because they do hold their value. 

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I usually try to get physical switch carts especially for first party because they do hold their value. 

That's actually fair. I've done the same thing. Like I bought the Mario anniversary thing whatever and haven't even opened that. Neither my daughter or myself have a desire to re-play Galaxy, Mario 64 is already on the online service, and Sunshine is, well, Sunshine. Maybe if I keep it wrapped and tucked away it will gain some value or something.

Metroid Prime is the one I've been on the fence for buying a physical copy of only because it's been so hard to find. Or at least it was. I just kind of gave up and didn't want to buy it off of eBay. I should probably check Best Buy or Amazon and see if they actually have copies of it in stock.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Metroid Prime is the one I've been on the fence for buying a physical copy of only because it's been so hard to find. Or at least it was. I just kind of gave up and didn't want to buy it off of eBay. I should probably check Best Buy or Amazon and see if they actually have copies of it in stock.

They do, I got one. Then again, I got fed up with Dread so fast I couldn't sell it fast enough. Maybe the same will happen with this and I can sell you my copy, hah.

So the SteamDeck’s first real competitor, the ROG Ally, is rumored to be $699 and have the same amount of storage as the Deck’s most expensive version (512GB) but with a faster SSD and way, way better specs. Supposedly a release is coming sometime between June-August.

I’m quite happy with my 64GB Deck, to be honest. I’m not looking to play Cyberpunk 2077 on a handheld, with the graphics maxed the fuck out and whatnot. And I like the customization freedom that Linux gives you (the Ally is rumored to have a Windows OS).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

YES! FUCK YES! INJECT THIS SHIT INTO MY VEEEEEEEIIIIIIIINNNNNNS!

It's Armored Core 6 motherfuckers!

Release date: August 25, 2023.

And going back to buying physical copies of games, I guess I'll want the collectors edition for this because the mech it comes with looks cool as hell.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Contentious C said:

They do, I got one. Then again, I got fed up with Dread so fast I couldn't sell it fast enough. Maybe the same will happen with this and I can sell you my copy, hah.

As someone who thinks that Dread is the best Metroid game and that Prime is proof that Metroid in 3D is complete ass, I wonder if you get fed up with Prime ten times as quickly.

Update us on what you think of it.

The best advantage of physical PS or Xbox games is that they're more likely to go on deep discount versus digital versions assuming you don't want to get a game right at launch. Aside from that, not too much use IMO.

15 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

As someone who thinks that Dread is the best Metroid game and that Prime is proof that Metroid in 3D is complete ass, I wonder if you get fed up with Prime ten times as quickly.

Update us on what you think of it.

I played it to the exact same point as I did the GC version - actually landing on the planet - but I'm already both more annoyed and less.

More annoyed because I tried the "hybrid" control scheme and it was GARBAGE.  Right thumbstick does nothing, got frustrating in a hurry.

Less annoyed because I put it on dual like every other shooter and felt better.  And, unlike the original, you don't have to HOLD THE DAMN THUMBSTICK to aim, you just aim it normally and it holds, again, like every other shooter.  I wonder if that's entirely a by-product of the whack-ass GC controller.

So, we'll see.

I don't have 4 thumbs and 2 extra fingers on each hand, so good on you for your mutations that allow you to play Dread frustration-free.

Edited by Contentious C

If digital consoles are going to be the norm going forward every generation, I really hope companies start to do physical and digital versions of collector’s editions. I believe Horizon and God Of War had a collector’s edition for both, but not too many studios have done that. Doesn’t look like FromSoft will, either.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I played it to the exact same point as I did the GC version - actually landing on the planet - but I'm already both more annoyed and less.

More annoyed because I tried the "hybrid" control scheme and it was GARBAGE.  Right thumbstick does nothing, got frustrating in a hurry.

Less annoyed because I put it on dual like every other shooter and felt better.  And, unlike the original, you don't have to HOLD THE DAMN THUMBSTICK to aim, you just aim it normally and it holds, again, like every other shooter.  I wonder if that's entirely a by-product of the whack-ass GC controller.

So, we'll see.

I don't have 4 thumbs and 2 extra fingers on each hand, so good on you for your mutations that allow you to play Dread frustration-free.

I contest that swapping between scan and shoot is weirdly annoying and that the actual shooting is mid. 

I am not a great video game player. Experienced, yeah, but not great. I didn't have any issues with Dread's controls, though. It's been since launch, so I honestly can't remember what the issues were. I remember thinking the game was perfect balance in the boss battles, but that some of the shinespark stuff was what kept me stuck for awhile. I really enjoyed it. 

Anyway, to pull this back to upcoming games. I have very little hope for Metroid Prime 4, but I'll try it when I find it in a Black Friday sale for much less than the seventy dollars that it retails at. 

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

However bad you expected Redfall reviews to be, they are probably worse.  I’ve seen a number of awful, awful reviews this morning.  Several 4/10.  Ugh.

It felt inevitable, hate to see it but it seems like they just made so many mistakes. As much as I love GamePass, they really need Starfield to be ready on time and great if they are going to keep pushing Day 1 AAA titles as one of the service's perks.

Honestly, more than any other game I've added through Game Pass, this was the one that made it feel like it was most worth it. No buyers remorse. No kicking myself for being stuck with some busted ass game. I can just simply delete it and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It felt inevitable, hate to see it but it seems like they just made so many mistakes. As much as I love GamePass, they really need Starfield to be ready on time and great if they are going to keep pushing Day 1 AAA titles as one of the service's perks.

I expected it to be meh at worst and most of the reviews I’ve had time to read or watch have really torn into it.  I’m not surprised it’s not great, but I am surprised that it may be legitimately bad.  Releases from first-party studios are generally solid so it’s kind of surprising to me when you get a complete misfire.  Though I’d say Xbox’s track record with first-party stuff is shakier than Nintendo or Sony’s.

i dunno.  Between the scarcity of exclusives and other issues, I’m not into Xbox’s direction as much as I usually am.  I’m not a big fan of gamepass and rarely use it, so I wouldn’t be too fussed if it went away.  I’m not sure that teaching consumers to rent your product instead of buy is going to be great for the industry in the long run.

It’ll be really interesting to see what Xbox’s release schedule looks like for the second half of the year.  In theory, they’re poised to finally break thought and start delivering the exclusives.  So far, I am mostly a fan of Series X for being a souped-up Xbox 360.

Oh man. If you haven't been to the Redfall subreddit yet, you all should go. There are bunch of videos on there showing how busted the game is and it's pretty funny. 

I think one of my favorite screenshots is of someone on a roof that has a skylight, but underneath the glass of the skylight is just the roof. Someone in one of the threads commented that it looks like AI made the game and it's hard to argue against that.

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I dunno.  Between the scarcity of exclusives and other issues, I’m not into Xbox’s direction as much as I usually am.  

Oops, this comment aged badly,  I was walking through Best Buy after work, noticed that they had the Series X/Horizon 5 bundle in stock, and bought one.  I already own a Series S.  

I stand by what I said earlier, but there’s a lot I like about the Series X/S from a technical standpoint.  I prefer the interface and some of the little things to PS5.  And right now, my main interest in the One S patches (not available to Series S owners) is the optical drive.  As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I love backwards compatibility and the enhancements the Series X/S’ horsepower brings to older games.  A number of the X360 games I want to play over the summer are no longer available digitally.  So…

I would have bought a Series X eventually.  Today was as good a day as any.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti