DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Worked as a line cook once too (Fry-a-Lator/salads/brunch hump guy, plus bus boy/greeter or whatever you call it, word escapes me) so I really want to see this show and the last one too. But it's gotta be on fucking Hulu. Dammit...

EDIT: HOST! That's it. Pretty upscale joint and made better money up front than in back, definitely. Owner was and is a total prick. Chef was great but then he left to work elsewhere, owner hired some kid with no experience that he found out of a magazine and told to bug me/fire me. That's another one I walked out on, called owner an asshole and ripped off my toque and threw it in the bushes. Story of my life. 

Owner made a stink in the news recently about there being no parking in the city... where they revamped the area around the restaurant to give it better parking, there is parking around the entire block, and there is a two-level parking garage a couple blocks away. Yeah. That kinda guy. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

The other thing that bugged him was the convenience of it where Carm is whining about his life with his essentially completely perfect girlfriend that is S-Tier level while she just happened to hear him out.

Regardless of the walk-in stuff, I still love the shit out of that season and that series. Someone should sit Carmy down and have him watch Garden State to point out that his girlfriend might be even better than Natalie Portman's character.

Please never venture to any other corners of the Internet.  There are people who don't like Claire Bear.  I don't get it either.

I can't lie, that trailer looked pretty funny so it either is pretty funny or I'm just old and my standards are lower than they used to be. Anthony Mackie is channeling Will Smith HARD in that and I think is A-OK.

I had to sit down and think about it for a minute. Someone on that staff had to sit down and watch promos of Joe, footage of Joe in the ring, the Steiner promos, look through the lists of hundreds of actors, and pitch Joe for the part. That's crazy. 

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had to sit down and think about it for a minute. Someone on that staff had to sit down and watch promos of Joe, footage of Joe in the ring, the Steiner promos, look through the lists of hundreds of actors, and pitch Joe for the part. That's crazy. 

Or a dude Joe happened to know is a producer with Sony

The current reigning ROH Television Champion revealed how he got the part during his recent appearance on Renee Paquette’s The Sessions podcast. Highlights from the interview can be found below.

How his friend at New Line Cinema hooked him up with the Twisted Metal gig:

A guy that I had met 15 years prior and we had a mutual friend, we hung out, watched pay-per-views together a few times and stuff like that and he was kind of just getting started out at New Line Cinema at the time and doing his thing and he gives me a call and he’s a major producer at Sony Pictures and he’s just like, ‘Hey man, I got an opportunity for you. It’s pretty crazy’ and obviously, he goes, ‘Are you available?’ I said, ‘Yeah, yeah, sure I’m available. I’ve just been made available’ and he goes, ‘You heard of Twisted Metal?’ I said, ‘Yeah! Video game, PlayStation, it was great.’ He’s like, ‘Sweet Tooth’ and I was like, ‘Ah! I’m in, I’m in, let’s do it’ so, he had me read for the part and they loved it and the rest is history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Painkiller

Well this will be infuriating

Correct, who in their right mind would give Matthew Broderick a lead role in 2023? Oh you mean...

To be serious: I have not seen Dopesick (because, well, I am also usually not that keen on anti-comfy-food on my TV), but just looking at the premise, Painkiller does not seem to try to cover a new angle and Dopesick was critically acclaimed, so the main two reasons for this getting made now are (1) Netflix vs. Hulu and (2) award bait.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Correct, who in their right mind would give Matthew Broderick a lead role in 2023? Oh you mean...

To be serious: I have not seen Dopesick (because, well, I am also usually not that keen on anti-comfy-food on my TV), but just looking at the premise, Painkiller does not seem to try to cover a new angle and Dopesick was critically acclaimed, so the main two reasons for this getting made now are (1) Netflix vs. Hulu and (2) award bait.

I thought the same exact thing regarding Dopesick and Hulu vs Netflix.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:16 PM, Greggulator said:

Man, as a ridiculous comedy enthusiast, I really have to think where the hell Gemstones goes on my all-time list because it is so so so so so good. It has everything a TV show can have: 

1) Some of the best and most unique characters ever. I think Judy is the best of the main characters and the best character on TV and Billy Bob is just the ultimate in scene stealers.

2) It says something about a slice of Americana that probably most people with MAX subscriptions aren’t intimately familiar with but absolutely love to see deservingly mocked with the whole megachurch world.

3) John Goodman is a national treasure.

4) It is somehow also secretly the best action show on television?

5) The amount of laughs per line is at a really high ratio.

The Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers scene (''running the church...and running around'') is the best TV scene of the year, with the possible exception of Richie singing Love Story in The Bear (I'm totally not getting involved in the discussion of whether Carmy could have got locked in that walk in or not). I had legit not seen Edi Patterson in anything before I watched Gemstones but she's just one of those actors that every line delivery and facial expression is hilarious. You just know it takes about 50 takes to get through some of the scenes on that show with people corpsing so much.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, Craig H said:

When I started working in frozen foods I was told to get ready to be sick a lot. And yeah, my frequency of getting colds seemed to go up in my two years doing that. I suppose it was fine for a first job though. Most annoying part was that the manager for that department was a complete perfectionist for how all of the frozen foods endcaps had to look completely flat with the tv dinners or ice cream or whatever in them, and everything had to be faced or have a completely flat look on the shelves. Ice was a pain in the pass too, especially during graduation season, July 4th, and any time there was a Notre Dame home game and this was the store within walking distance of the campus. Tailgaters would essentially raid us for ice and I'd spend all shift breaking my back restocking the ice chest or making desperate calls for more ice deliveries. Fun stuff for a 16 and 17 year old.

Martin's 23 & Ironwood?

To add to the Gemstones love, I'll just say, I don't know how, but they have the best digital de-aging in the game.  

Though something no one has figured out yet, how to de-age a voice.  It's one thing to see 40-something John Goodman, it's still disconcerting to hear the voice of a 70 year old coming out of that face. 

(Also, there's something ironic about my love for this show and a very clearly closeted character named Kelvin being on it.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, peterien said:

The Bear. Season 2. Ep 6. Holy Shit.

On a seperate note, is Righteous Gemstones worth sticking with? I remember not thinking much of the first ep of season one. 

Yeah, I thought the first episode was just OK, but it does pick up.

• Like 2

I read "strike-centric" as more like "strike team" there for a second, and then I realized you were talking about CBS and there's no difference anyway, considering their acronym-heavy programming.

Edited by Contentious C