DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2022

The Natural

I think something we all need to consider how any new talent will evolve and flourish in AEW's environment, which is a different working situation compared to WWE and NXT. For example, remember when WWE brought Cain Velasquez in and made him do faux MMA, even through he showed so varied pro wrestling skills in AAA?  I really wonder what someone like Windham would be like working for someone than Vince and his minions.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think something we all need to consider how any new talent will evolve and flourish in AEW's environment, which is a different working situation compared to WWE and NXT. For example, remember when WWE brought Cain Velasquez in and made him do faux MMA, even through he showed so varied pro wrestling skills in AAA?  I really wonder what someone like Windham would be like working for someone than Vince and his minions.

I do believe this to be a two-way street. Some people really are yes-sir worker bees who aren't adept at coming up with their own material but will sell the hell out of what you give them. This is really noticeable with a lot of ex-Lucha Underground talent. Penta, Jack n Angelico, Brian Cage, all noticeably lesser than what they were. I'm mildly prepared to feel this way about the UE guys...

Windham... I do not know what "ring shape" looks like for him, and I'm not sure he's currently in it. If he's given some creative leeway I fear he might get lost in his own sauce a la Matt Hardy or Chris Jericho. Hell, he might become the sauce. But I understand his upside.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

I got to thinking today about the best match in each AEW championships history. I also thought of AEW shows and the greatest match of each:

AEW World Championship.

Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

AEW TNT Championship.

Mr Brodie Lee vs. Cody. AEW Dynamite, 7th October 2020. *****.

AEW World Tag Team Championship.

Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

AEW Women's World Championship.

Dr Britt Baker vs. Kris Statlander. AEW All Out 2021.

AEW TBS Women's Championship.

Jade Cargill vs. Anna Jay. AEW Rampage, 21st January 2022.

FTW Championship.

Ricky Starks vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Rampage, 4th February 2022.

---

AEW Revolution.

Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

AEW Double or Nothing.

Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing 2019. *****.

AEW All Out.

Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Fenix/Pentagon. AEW All Out 2021. *****.

AEW Full Gear.

Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. Full Gear 2020. *****.

AEW Dynamite.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

AEW Rampage.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little disappointed that Jay White hasn't been declared All-Elite yet. I get that it might not happen, but I realized I've never sought out Jay White matches and there are very few full-matches of his on youtube.

I liked his ROH match with Ospreay, but don't have much to say about it. That belly-to-belly into the ringside barrier was insane. Like, first thing I thought was, There's no way Ospreay agreed to do that. "You dive and I'll belly-to-belly you nice and flush against the barricade." "You will? Ok..." One of my favorite fair-fight exhibition type matches.

I watched his ROH Vegas street fight with Punishment Martinez. Can't remember Martinez's current name. Julian Martienez? Damien White? Damien Sandow? Don't care. Martinez -- can't remember what I liked him doing in this match but I did see some upside toward the end. Basically, he moves as slow as Kevin Nash until he does a spin kick. Or a crazy dive. I'm thinking, Dude, it don't matter if you got a nice spin-kick, you slow. I did like Jay White hanging with him, though. Jay does valor very well all clean-shaven in white. 

Also got a look of recent Jay White when he took on D. Garcia in NJStrong. This was another great showing from Garcia, but it totally got me interested in this, uh, White rabbit-hole. I feel like I got time returned back to me. All that time I wasted on HBK and HHH. Jay White seems to be same height/weight as HBK, but most notably as strong as well. He seems like a heavyweight in some respect. And in this match, he succeeded in ways I feel like I saw HHH fail at too many times. It really seemed like he was waiting for an opening, rather than waiting to squash someone. He didn't seem bored or eager to sell the beating he took from Garcia, he just seemed like, Eh I've been here before...

I think Jay White is my favorite 'moves' guys. I really buy that his unique offense is effective and appealing from a visual perspective. 

Gonna look him up on dailymotion next.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He's a combination of old school Memphis heeling with modern New Japan style. He's pretty fucking tremendous. I recommend the US title match with Juice in SF, 2018. 

New Japan missed out on a money Jay White-Josh Barnett match …

I think that’s a perfect description of Jay White. Makes sense Gedo made him the top heel. MJF is the biggest heel in AEW. Jay White if given the chance could surpass him. This is a big get for AEW.

I mean, who knows how long he's sticking around for. He's not signed or anything. Could be a few shows or longer term. SRS says White has told him he's not signed super long-term to NJPW, whereas Voices of Wrestling say otherwise.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:52 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I do believe this to be a two-way street. Some people really are yes-sir worker bees who aren't adept at coming up with their own material but will sell the hell out of what you give them. This is really noticeable with a lot of ex-Lucha Underground talent. Penta, Jack n Angelico, Brian Cage, all noticeably lesser than what they were. I'm mildly prepared to feel this way about the UE guys...

Windham... I do not know what "ring shape" looks like for him, and I'm not sure he's currently in it. If he's given some creative leeway I fear he might get lost in his own sauce a la Matt Hardy or Chris Jericho. Hell, he might become the sauce. But I understand his upside.

When you think about it, AEW not being a good place for "worker bees" makes perfect sense.  If you look at the founders of AEW, they're all pretty creative, very ambitious outside-the-box thinkers

Omega: really legit wanted to revolutionize wrestling, and took crazy steps to do it, often annoying traditionalists.  This is why Tana/Omega was so great.

Bucks: they self-marketed themselves into millionaires largely off the indies

Cody: The guy was  one of the first to spurn WWE and make it work for himself in a big way.

Jericho: had to get himself over in WCW, had to do it again and again in WWE

I suspect AEW was formed to be a good breeding ground for the next crop of stars similar to the founders, and not for the Angelicos and Brian Cages of the world.

This doesn't seem to be the case as much with the women, who tend to get produced a lot more, and there are a lot more projects among the women. Also, the joshis are having a tough time.  Shida has mentioned struggling, Emi Sakura has struggled to get airtime.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, alstein said:

I can't figure out what Angelico lacks other than talking.   He's a damn good wrestler.  Just not in the right environment.  He'd do a lot better I think in NJPW as a junior, or back in AAA.

It's not like Jack Evans isn't right there to be the shit talker of TH2. Sadly, I think they're probably on their way out. I would love to see them go after the IWGP Jr. tag titles. 

• Like 1

Would love to see Evans in WWE. Not that I would watch, but still, knowing that he's actually getting booked is great with me. Can't see how he wouldn't get over. Maybe go back to his old look.

Would say they should sign Angelico, too, but I don't know if that sort of math computes in E-Land.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is a bit random, but I saw earlier that Dynamite did their best Canadian number ever this week. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what their other international TV deals are like outside of Fite?

I think AEW just started a pretty good deal in the UK, making the shows more accessible to viewers than the WWE shows. I'm sure the UK peeps can break it down better than me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is a bit random, but I saw earlier that Dynamite did their best Canadian number ever this week. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what their other international TV deals are like outside of Fite?

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think AEW just started a pretty good deal in the UK, making the shows more accessible to viewers than the WWE shows. I'm sure the UK peeps can break it down better than me.

You did a good job, @Infinit.

AEW Dynamite is now shown fully on ITV, before it was an hour. ITV added AEW Rampage. Both this year. ITV 4 continues to show AEW Dynamite. ITV is the bigger of the two channels. Both are on Freeview so are readily available unlike subscription for WWE which used to be on Sky Sports for decades but it's now on BT Sports.  Hope that helps.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

You did a good job, @Infinit.

AEW Dynamite is now shown fully on ITV, before it was an hour. ITV added AEW Rampage. Both this year. ITV 4 continues to show AEW Dynamite. ITV is the bigger of the two channels. Both are on Freeview so are readily available unlike subscription for WWE which used to be on Sky Sports for decades but it's now on BT Sports.  Hope that helps.

The only issue is that there is a delay of a few days for Rampage and I think 1 day for Dynamite, which is difficult for us smarks on the interwebz as Youtube/Reddit etc instantly recommends me spoilers no matter where I go. Ideally they should have both on live on ITV in the middle of the night UK time, so that we can all watch them on the ITV hub (catch up app) first thing in the morning without being spoiled. 

• Like 3