DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

I love that the one thing all the reviews for GOD'S NOT DEAD agree on is "Kevin Sorbo is...actually pretty okay." I never would have guessed Sorbo playing a PhD would be the saving grace of a movie.

Also, Ricky Gervais is a big step down from Jason Segal.

Is he really? Seems like such an odd thing to read...It isn't as if Segal has had the best movie career (Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Muppets are both really fucking awesome though, with FSM being one of my all time favorites), but there is How I Met Your Mother.

Oh, totally. Compare their filmographies. It's a squash for Segel. And HIMYM has averaged close to 10 million viewers over its (entirely too long) lifespan, which I would imagine squashes the average viewership of all of Gervais' shows combined.

But really, I was thinking more in terms of timing. The first Muppet movie hit right when Segel was bigger than he'd ever been before. This new Muppet movie has Gervais about 4 years after his sell-by date.

http://www.graceemmaus.org/stories/The%20Professor%20and%20the%20Chalk.htm

Here's the chalk story in the wild on a "Stories for the Soul" website.

I don't know where to start.

1) ALL frosh philosophy courses deal with plato and his types of things, and then Aristotle and his types of friendships. I mean, these are kids straight out of high school. They're still wrestling with morning wood and whether or not head counts for the same amount of notches in the belt as vaginal penetration (it's better), not on the existence of an all knowing diety. It would be like taking a historical survey course that starts with the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

2) You weren't joking, the movie's entire plot is that story. Literally the EXACT SAME STORY.

3) The story says RIGHT THERE "He proceeded to drop the chalk, but as he did, it slipped out of his fingers..." Is slippage only possible via the whims of our lord and savior? Is friction the sole domain of the sovereign?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??

What strikes me about God's Not Dead is just how angry and hateful it comes off. I mean, as noted, the set up is completely absurd and insulting. A college professor publicly threatening to fail a student if he refuses to write God Is Dead on a piece of paper? That's something Fox News thinks would happen; not something that actually would. Not only do atheists not believe in God, they apparently have no morals whatsoever either.

I actually do think there's potential in the idea that "atheists can be as close-minded as the people they criticize." But instead of dealing with that in adult manner, the movie just turns them all into mustache-twirling villains.

• Like 1

I don't even understand why anyone is even mentioning this movie at all, much less wasting 2 pages on it considering it has a niche audience that will waste money on it and that's about it.

Rippa....I can't abide by a Muppet movie where I do a better Kermit impression than the guy doing the voice. I still wasted my money on it though..

I could give two shits about the Muppets - I just was trying to subtly move everyone off of God is Dead before I just had to close the thread

Man, who doesn't like the Muppets? 

We spent all last saturday trying to gauge how well the 21 month old could pay attention to muppets by going through our season 3 DVD set and the Disneyworld special (and Jim Henson on Arsenio from a week before he died) to see if we could take her and the 12 year old to the movie (it'd be the baby's first). She has a Kermit and was very into him for about ten minutes before moving on to other things, so we did not go see any movie. 

That said, I'm not super excited about the movie since it feels more like Great Muppet Caper than anything I'd actively want to see. I don't like Gervais. I don't like Fey all that much.  I really think they need to go back to doing the Muppet Show. They haven't tried that since Muppets Tonight, right?

I've a feeling Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going to do better at the box office with the bump from Avengers Assemble and the word of mouth it is getting right now. Granted the latter is going on the so far 28 reviews from Rotten Tomatoes.

Well Thor made a shit load more on it's sequel and the first one wasn't even that good...So it seems safe to predict Cap as being one of, if not the, highest grossers this year. It'll do better than Guardians which I don't think will flop either.

At the risk of inciting Rippa's rage, I just wanted to drop two amazing bits of info on GOD'S NOT DEAD:

1. The estimate for last week was off. By a lot. Instead of opening at $8.5 mil, it was actually $9.2 mil, surpassing COURAGEOUS to become the biggest opening ever for a Christian market film.

2. The estimate for this weekend is currently an absurd $9 mil, easily the biggest second weekend for a Christian market film, and it seems inevitable it will beat out COURAGEOUS' $30-odd million to be the biggest of all-time.

It's a phenomenon! How crazy is it that the makers of this movie are probably going to bank more money than Paramount will for NOAH.

Surely GOD'S NOT DEAD 102 is already in development.

The failure of Sabotage, as well as his other recent movies, makes me think it's time to call time on Arnie's career. People just don't want to see him as an old man. (I know there's The Expendables franchise, but that would have probably done well without him.) Stallone and Willis have aged well, he really hasn't. 

He needs to just go to the straight to DVD market and capture the Redbox crowd. His last few ones haven't been terrible but no one is rushing out to the theater to see them. Escape Plan and The Last Stand was fairly inoffensive action flicks.

I've a feeling Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going to do better at the box office with the bump from Avengers Assemble and the word of mouth it is getting right now. Granted the latter is going on the so far 28 reviews from Rotten Tomatoes.

Last I read, CA: TWS is projecting at around $85-95 million for next weekend.

Last I read, CA: TWS is projecting at around $85-95 million for next weekend.

Thank you.