DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Professor Radisson demands that all of his students must sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to get a passing grade. .

What fucking room are these demented assholes chained up in? 

We will never get past this shit will we? 

So beyond DIVERGENT, the really interesting story from this weekend was the small Christian market film GOD'S NOT DEAD opening in the top 5 with $8.5 million, giving it the 2nd-biggest opening ever for a non-Jesus-centric Christian film.

Will the Noah movie count?  If it does, it'll probably knock it out of the top 5.

So beyond DIVERGENT, the really interesting story from this weekend was the small Christian market film GOD'S NOT DEAD opening in the top 5 with $8.5 million, giving it the 2nd-biggest opening ever for a non-Jesus-centric Christian film.

Will the Noah movie count? If it does, it'll probably knock it out of the top 5.
I'm not sure it should. I think there's a distinction between "Christian market" or "faith-based" films like GOD'S NOT DEAD and SON OF GOD, which are intended to proselytize, and movies that use biblical stories as a jumping off point for what are really period epics, such as THE TEN COMMANDMENTS or THE PRINCE OF EGYPT (I drew a blank on anything more recent than that. I would count THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST as a movie intended to proselytize.)

NOAH seems more like the latter, especially since many of their attempts to woo Christian powerbrokers have been rebuffed.

I'm actually really interested to see how GOD'S NOT DEAD holds up against NOAH next week. I wonder if churches and Christian opinion makers will try to rally their base to support an "authentic" Christian movie instead of one that seems to take some liberties with the traditional Noah story.

The three Chronicles of Narnia movies are 2-4 on box office mojo's top 5 Christian movies list, so Noah probably should count

I would disagree with the Narnia movies being grouped in with that group of movies. Those movies are shooting for broader appeal and most of the Christian sutff is subtext. Not nearly as cloying.

And I bet NOAH is going to make those movies look like the Left Behind series.

Best part of the entire thing is how Superman's billed lower than the Duck people.

What's hilarious is that they're obviously just in that one scene, but they get a credit and you see them before you see any of the main characters that movie is actually about.

Dean Cain is turning into a thumb.

• Like 1

Also: if this is the first day of classes, surely he could've DROPPED the class without any adverse consequences. Further, forcing students to sign such a document would be grounds for dismissal, regardless of tenure. And again, there's about 1,000 other prerequisite philosophers before Nietzsche: Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Descartes, Hegel, Spinoza.

Totally self-serving piece of celluoid to convince the right that all college professors are godless heathen fascists. In my experiences, only the first 2 adjectives generally applied.

• Like 1

Best part of the entire thing is how Superman's billed lower than the Duck people.

What's hilarious is that they're obviously just in that one scene, but they get a credit and you see them before you see any of the main characters that movie is actually about.

Dean Cain is turning into a thumb.

I'm thoroughly convinced Dean's in it just so the producer/director could be all "WINK WINK SUPERMAN NIETZSCHE SEE WE READ THE SOURCE MATERIAL OHHH JEBUS."

Also: if this is the first day of classes, surely he could've DROPPED the class without any adverse consequences. Further, forcing students to sign such a document would be grounds for dismissal, regardless of tenure. And again, there's about 1,000 other prerequisite philosophers before Nietzsche: Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Descartes, Hegel, Spinoza.

I think we actually did cover Nietzsche in my PHI 101, but, yeah, all of that makes one wonder if the people who made this movie ever went to college themselves.

^ I'm calling bullshit.

Clue me in Fowler plz.

Upon further reflection, clearly the protagonist HAD to be a freshman. Because otherwise an upper level student might actually have developed the appropriate rebuttal to the profs challenge on the spot. But by being a freshman, he's portrayed as very out of his league, and thus THE POWER OF CHRIST IS HOW HE CONQUERED THE EVIL PROFESSOR MR. SATAN, NOT THROUGH HIS YEARS OF DEDICATED STUDY AND SUPERIOR RHETORIC SKILLZ. BECUZ HEZ A FROSH.

Surprisingly Noah is sitting at 73% though that's with only 11 reviews. I expect it'll go WAY down. Right?! It has to.

Aronofsky has a pretty good track record for making movies that get critical acclaim.

It's a popular Christian urban legend about a professor whose dedicated his class to proving there is no god if there was he would stop this piece of chalk from breaking when he throws it on the ground blah blah blah kid chauffeured him after many years, he losses his grip on the chalk, it tools down his clothes and land gently on the ground, prof runs out of the room, kid witnesses to the whole class.

I think it allegedly happened at Stanford.

Surprisingly Noah is sitting at 73% though that's with only 11 reviews. I expect it'll go WAY down. Right?! It has to.

Aronofsky has a pretty good track record for making movies that get critical acclaim.

I said surprisingly because the trailers are hilariously awful especially the parts with the bad guys!? That doesn't sound a whole lot like Noah to me. It looked like some awful Cowboys & Aliens type shit. Who are these bad guys?

Who are these bad guys?

[spoilers]Fucking unicorns, obv.

It's a popular Christian urban legend about a professor whose dedicated his class to proving there is no god if there was he would stop this piece of chalk from breaking when he throws it on the ground blah blah blah kid chauffeured him after many years, he losses his grip on the chalk, it tools down his clothes and land gently on the ground, prof runs out of the room, kid witnesses to the whole class.

I think it allegedly happened at Stanford.

You forgot to log in as Phantom Lord.

• Like 2