DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

If you told me when I was a kid that it would be LEGO of all things that would not only survive in an increasingly digital world, but become possibly the most dominant toy franchise on earth, I'd have never believed it. The way they've connected themselves to every major comic book and movie line imaginable, made a vast fortune, and now transitioned it back into their own film, it's pretty brilliant.

• Like 3

If you told me when I was a kid that it would be LEGO of all things that would not only survive in an increasingly digital world, but become possibly the most dominant toy franchise on earth, I'd have never believed it. The way they've connected themselves to every major comic book and movie line imaginable, made a vast fortune, and now transitioned it back into their own film, it's pretty brilliant.

They don't have an operating system or an e-reader yet. 

Mark Burnett knows how to make a dollar, doesn't he? Repackage some used footage, stir up the Christian base and get churches to buy tickets en masse, profit. I wish there was some way to track how many purchased tickets were actually used. I mean, surely enough of these people had to realize they had seen all this stuff before when the miniseries aired last year.

• 2 weeks later...

The surprise last night was Veronica Mars which took in $260K on midnight screenings for distributor Warner Bros. — a rock-solid number for this picture which was only in 95 theaters at midnight.

I have never loved my fellow man more than at this moment.

• Like 1

Veronica Mars ended up doing $2 million for the weekend. I don't know how much more it made in on Demand purchases (since it was released in both forms at the same time)

Also just looking through - the terrible Legend of Hercules is now out of theaters. It made a whooping $18.8 million on its $70 million budget. (Add in Worldwide and it made $44.5 million)

It was number three in digital movie sales on ituned for the weekend, behind frozen and catching fire.

But nobody releases numbers for on demand. I haven't gone to a theater yet since it is coming as hour closer to me on the 28th, but I did rent it ob demand because my digital code was taking too damn long to show up.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman beats down the 300 sequel and Need for Speed.  Kids movies are king in the winter months.

Divergent has one week to make its tween money bonanza before Captain America crushes the box office.

Tyler Perry last movie was also his worst opening ever

But he has Oprah money now so I don't think he really cares

It was a shitty movie to begin with.  My gilrfriend and I walked out of it midway and traded in our tickets for a showing of Non-Stop, which fucking ruled.

Perry has been having a rough stretch.

As an unofficial black representative, I can confidently say we're over Tyler Perry films. It's all about Scandal now, which is funny since he has his version of the show on OWN. It's the highest rated show on the network. 

Box office receipts for Confessions of a Marriage Counselor would argue otherwise.

The business for it went down over 50% the very next week. Then, Peeples came out. That's all she wrote.