DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

I saw the trailer for it in front of 4 or 5 different movies this past year, so I knew it was a movie.  Couldn't figure out any reason anyone would go see it, though...  And nobody did.

That third place Friday?  Finished SIXTH for the weekend. 

Ride Along did another 21 million, and Frozen, in it's 10th weekend, finished 4th with about 9 million. It's about 11 million behind Despicable Me 2 for highest grossing animated film of 2013.

Ride Along wins again.  Frozen came in second, in it's fucking 11th weekend.  That Awkward Moment was just below it for the best debut of the week.  Slow weekend.

I, Frankenstein followed it's bad opening weekend with a 59% drop and finished in 10th place.  Even modestly budgeted at 65 million, it's shaping up as a bomb.  Only 14 domestic, and just 16 more foreign thus far.   Yeouch.

EDIT:  Oh, and the terrible non-Rock Hercules:  Did about half a million bucks for 19th place.  Through 4 weeks it's done just 17 and change domestic, and LESS THAN 2 MILLION FOREIGN.  Folks, do not make a movie directed by Renny Harlin where Hera supports Zeus sleeping with mortal women.

I'll be interested to see how "With Rock" Hercules does

-The failure of this recent Hercules movie may not bode well.

-Are people even really that into Hercules anymore?

-I'm still not sold on Rock as a guy who can draw without the padding of a franchise or a famous co-star, either (Game Plan did well, though, so there's that.)

I'll be interested to see how "With Rock" Hercules does

-The failure of this recent Hercules movie may not bode well.

-Are people even really that into Hercules anymore?

-I'm still not sold on Rock as a guy who can draw without the padding of a franchise or a famous co-star, either (Game Plan did well, though, so there's that.)

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU'RE INTERESTED IN

• Like 2

Ride Along wins again.  Frozen came in second, in it's fucking 11th weekend.  That Awkward Moment was just below it for the best debut of the week.  Slow weekend.

I, Frankenstein followed it's bad opening weekend with a 59% drop and finished in 10th place.  Even modestly budgeted at 65 million, it's shaping up as a bomb.  Only 14 domestic, and just 16 more foreign thus far.   Yeouch.

EDIT:  Oh, and the terrible non-Rock Hercules:  Did about half a million bucks for 19th place.  Through 4 weeks it's done just 17 and change domestic, and LESS THAN 2 MILLION FOREIGN.  Folks, do not make a movie directed by Renny Harlin where Hera supports Zeus sleeping with mortal women.

There's a lesson in this, and it is that release a competent family movie against no competition during the holidays, its going to make some serious bank. As for I, Frankenstein, someone(more likely a few someone's) career in movies is probably over. .  .

The fact the best they could do for a director on I, Frankenstein was hiring the guy who wrote the first atrocious GI JOE movie and shared "screen story" credit with like 4 other guys for Pirates of the Caribbean (which usually means he wrote something shitty they had to farm out to competent screenwriters to salvage) likely means everybody in Hollywood knew it was going to be a turd so anybody with any talent stayed far far away. 

I have nothing against the guy but I hope this is the end of them trying to push Aaron Eckhart as a lead. Dude is just an older version of Chris Pine.

The fact the best they could do for a director on I, Frankenstein was hiring the guy who wrote the first atrocious GI JOE movie and shared "screen story" credit with like 4 other guys for Pirates of the Caribbean (which usually means he wrote something shitty they had to farm out to competent screenwriters to salvage) likely means everybody in Hollywood knew it was going to be a turd so anybody with any talent stayed far far away. 

I have nothing against the guy but I hope this is the end of them trying to push Aaron Eckhart as a lead. Dude is just an older version of Chris Pine.

I think Pine is a better actor actually. .  

I think the Ryan character appealed to a very specific type of person at a very specific time. And that time is long gone. The type of people who loved Ryan aren't in the demographic that fuels blockbuster movies anymore.

The Lego Movie is at 96 percent approval on Rotten Tomatoes, yet I feel I haven't been bombarded with ads for it.  It might not need it because it's an animated movie with strong word of mouth.

Meanwhile The Monuments Men is not getting the critical love.  Take your impressive, ensemble cast and shove it.

You have to ride with The Lego Movie to win the box office this weekend.

69 million for The LEGO Movie.  Only Jesus has ever had a better February open.

The Monuments Men did 22.7, which is Clooney's best open as a director.  Strong open.

Frozen is still going.  6.9 despite getting a major new player in the animated field, passed Despicable Me 2 for highest grossing animated film of 2013, and third highest film of last year overall.  Ride Along did over 9 million, first 100 million dollar movie of 2014.

Vampire Academy (which I confess to being slightly interested in because it's the director of Mean Girls.  And vampire girls in high school...) bombed HARD with 4.1 million.

Kevin Hart is in the remake of About Last Night that is coming out on Valentine's Day

Because of the timing and it's competition (Robocop isn't really a date movie)... that movie will make a zillion dollars

Isn't 'Winter's Tale' supposed to be the big Valentine's Day movie, based on a loved novel, romantic flick with Colin Farrell and tossing in Will Smith and Russell Crowe for good measure?!

About Last Night = $27 million

Robocop = $21.5 million

Winter's Tale = $7.785 million

Now they all got smoked by the Lego Movie but I love it when I am right

About Last Night was not as horrible as date movies go.  My girl got her romantic movie and I got my comedy. 

I feel badly for the guys that got roped into watching A Winter's Tale over the Valentine's Day weekend.

Remake wasn't horrible but Demi and Rob had better couple chemistry that Mike Ealy and Joy Bryant.

Remake racked up cool points for casting Selita Ebanks as the obligatory smoking hot random babe, but lost cool points for no one bothering to get anyone do an R&B cover the John Waite end credit track, If Anybody Had A Heart. 

C'mon, man..

Given i watch almost no tv anymore and stopped reading ent weekly, maybe maybe not. I dont think ive seen one minute of any of those real X of ax shows. Is that on Bravo? If so, the last show i watched on there was Inside the Actors Studio.