DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

On 11/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

He apparently did this to promote an upcoming 30 Seconds to Mars world tour.

In other news, people in 2023 are still willing to pay actual money to see 30 Seconds to Mars.

I liked the first 30 Seconds to Mars album. 

On 11/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, JLowe said:

Green Day/Smashing Pumpkins/Rancid stadium tour tickets START at $79 here in Philly, with fees it's $107/each for the cheapest tickets. Fuck no.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins in 1996, Rancid in 1998, and I fucking hate Green Day. That's a hard pass for me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I saw Smashing Pumpkins in 1996, Rancid in 1998, and I fucking hate Green Day. That's a hard pass for me. 

Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins at Lollapalooza ‘94, SP earlier in ‘94 as well, and Rancid in ‘95 or ‘96. I like Green Day’s old stuff, mostly want to see Rancid at this point but not at a baseball stadium.

I never think about how long Green Day has been around. At work the other day, I heard someone walking by singing She, and when I turned around it was a 60-year-old man. Of course, I’m also never prepared for the oldies station that used to play The Supremes and Neil Sedaka to have on Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

On 10/18/2023 at 3:38 AM, Cobra Commander said:

I don’t know if any of the down tempo songs will get to be a single.

upon hearing "Vampire" a few more times, that sentence I said a month ago was clearly wrong.. this is a very sad piano ballad sort of song and I didn't realize it at the time because it's also a little venomous (not in a bad way though)

Unrelated to the above paragraphs.. it's under a week until the Dolly "Rockstar" album so we can figure out which songs are nifty novelty items and which songs are really really good. There's 30 freaking tracks (at least according to Wikipedia) and they are..

1."Rockstar" (with Richie Sambora) 4:36

2."World on Fire" 4:21

3."Every Breath You Take" (featuring Sting) 4:22

4."Open Arms" (featuring Steve Perry) 3:16

5."Magic Man (Carl Version)" (featuring Ann Wilson with special guest Howard Leese) 5:02

6."Long as I Can See the Light" (featuring John Fogerty) 4:11

7."Either Or" (featuring Kid Rock) 4:20

8."I Want You Back" (featuring Steven Tyler with special guest Warren Haynes) 5:03

9."What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done for You" (featuring Stevie Nicks with special guest Waddy Wachtel) 5:01

10."Purple Rain" 7:51

11."Baby, I Love Your Way" (featuring Peter Frampton) 4:58

12."I Hate Myself for Loving You" (featuring Joan Jett and the Blackhearts) 4:07

13."Night Moves" (featuring Chris Stapleton) 5:39

14."Wrecking Ball" (featuring Miley Cyrus) 3:55

15."(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (featuring P!nk and Brandi Carlile) 3:53

16."Keep On Loving You" (featuring Kevin Cronin) 3:26

17."Heart of Glass" (featuring Debbie Harry) 3:41

18."Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (featuring Elton John) 5:42

19."Tried to Rock and Roll Me" (featuring Melissa Etheridge) 3:49

20."Stairway to Heaven" (featuring Lizzo)  7:48

21."We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You" 3:51

22."Bygones" (featuring Rob Halford with special guests Nikki Sixx and John 5) 3:59

23."My Blue Tears" (featuring Simon Le Bon) 4:03

24."What's Up?" (featuring Linda Perry) 4:38

25."You're No Good" (featuring Emmylou Harris and Sheryl Crow) 3:14

26."Heartbreaker" (featuring Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo) 3:39

27."Bittersweet" (featuring Michael McDonald)  4:03

28."I Dreamed About Elvis" (featuring Ronnie McDowell with special guest The Jordanaires) 3:38

29."Let It Be" (featuring Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr with special guests Peter Frampton and Mick Fleetwood) 4:27

30."Free Bird" (featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd and Artimus Pyle Band) 10:45

"World on Fire" is a pretty good track which I heard a few months ago.

I'm sure some of those tracks are gonna be really good although there's a certain amount of "Dolly can do whatever she damn well pleases" here with a 2+ long album.

Meanwhile Willie Nelson was put into the R&R HOF this year and he reacted to that by releasing *two* albums in a year where he turned 90 instead of just one. I'm sure Willie's Bluegrass album which came out 2 months ago is a fun 43 minute listen.

Listening to Rockstar by Dolly Parton at the moment, i'm on track 10 of 30 and..

Spoiler

somehow her version of "Purple Rain" is better than the covers before it on the album...

there might be a difference between the tracks where the musicians who originally did the song are working with Dolly and the ones where they aren't because "Every Breath You Take" kinda felt like Dolly singing over a karaoke track with how they had Sting working with her.. then the tracks with Ann Wilson and Fogerty and Stevie Nicks involved

Edit: Okay this cover of "Wrecking Ball" seems perfectly fine

Edit2: wait, did they just do a "We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You" medley with We Will Rock You before We Are The Champions, or did they do WWRY before and after WATC and I just didn't notice..

Edit3: This cover of "You're No Good" is pretty solid

Edited by Cobra Commander

Music in general should file a lawsuit against Daryl Hall to keep him from further fucking up classic songs.

Sorry, been on a little Daryl's House binge lately and got a bit fed up with his musically vampiric schtick.

I already ran the idea by my wife that there's no real beef between the two and they'll eventually get JellyRoll to bring a truce to this feud culminating in a sold out reunion show at Bridgestone.

Antonio Sanches' Buli Povo -- what a cool album! I liked this a lot. Sanches was a musician from Santiago and was apparently emblematic of the Cape Verde sound at the time. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that he recorded much else, which is a bummer as I was ready for more.

Ric Ocasek's Beatitude -- this was Ric Ocasek's debut album. I dug this. Ocasek was one of the vocalists from The Cars and much of the positive feedback surrounding this LP is that it would have made for a decent Cars album. Not a bad compliment for a solo album. 

Adrian Belew's Twang Bar King -- there's a bit of everything on this album from Belew. It was made shortly after he became the front man for King Crimson and his versatility is on full display. Belew was a new waver who loved art rock and liked to have fun with his music. You've probably heard most of the tracks done better by other artists, but this wasn't a bad listen. 

Wildfire's Brute Force and Ignorance -- this is a slice of NWOBHM that sounds like it came straight out of 1983, but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes you want to hear a record that was a product of its times. Ignore the album title, though, there's no brute force whatsoever. It's melodic not raw.

Joan Armatrading's The Key -- this is the type of 80s album that gets instantly rubbished for the production -- adding synths to an artist who previously had a soulful folk sound -- but that snobbery has no place around here. Instead, I salute Armatrading for continuing to write and put her music out in the world. Good stuff.

Steps Ahead' Steps Ahead -- easy listening jazz fusion music. Not bad as background music late at night.

The Blasters' Non Fiction -- hmm, a lot of rockabilly is basically punk music, but this sounds like guys who take it seriously. Rock 'n' Roll will never die, I suppose. 

Tappi Tíkarrass' Miranda -- Did you know that Bjork was in a post-punk band called Tappi Tikarrass? You probably did if you're a big Bjork fan, but I had no idea. I remember her from the Sugarcubes, but not this group. Imagine my surprise when she starts singing. It's cool that her voice is instantly recognizable, though. 

Dalek I Love You's Dalek I Love You -- I liked this a lot. Dalek I Love You were a synthpop band with ties to Godot, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and The Teardrop Explodes. It's the kind of record I'd recommend to people who want more New Wave from '83 and are not too hung up on great albums. Just a chill record with decent grooves.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Somewhere in Afrika -- this is in part an anti-apartheid album (Manfred Mann was born in South Africa) and a hybrid progressive pop record that includes traditional African music similar to what artists like Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon were compelled to record in the 80s. The rest is a mixed bag. I prefer to hear actually African records whenever possible, but I believe the artists involved were sincere about championing world music.

Akina Nakamori's New Akina... who is Akina Nakamori, I hear you ask. She was a pop sensation in Japan during the 1980s, somewhat akin to Madonna. She was known for changing her image with each new release, and like Madonna, dabbled in acting. This record was straight pop, but not bad. Not as groovy as city pop, but interesting to listen to. 

The Tubes' Outside Inside -- every time I hear AOR from this era, I think I'm in a movie montage. A happy movie montage, but a movie montage nonetheless. I wonder if any AOR artists wrote songs with that specific goal in mind.

Play Dead's The First Flower -- Play Dead is an amusing name for a goth band. Someone called this bog standard 80s goth music, and they're not wrong, but I'm not mad at it. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

• 2 weeks later...

reads tweet saying “Selena Gomez takes to social media to defend relationship with Benny Blanco”

goes to FauxMoi subreddit to figure out what’s going on

apparently there’s multiple Selena Gomez controversies that may or may not be related, also she’s taking a social media break

I have no idea who Benny Blanco is but he almost has 1980s Jimmy Garvin hair. So I’m sure it’s not his fault.