DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

From all indications of how his career started and stopped and the reason behind it, Neidhart basically did a fakeout.

"Yeah Bret, man, I'm quitting too.." **covertly slides a small baggie into his back pocket**

Yeah if Anvil actually quit going to those parties then he was on some shit that even 1985 WWF would be scared of  

• Haha 2

Man, Anvil busted through a window tied to a bedsheet or something in college and was found "screaming and vomiting" in a gas station parking lot before he died. That dude was never sober. 

And yeah that Buffalo guy was straight mafioso probably. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boydy said:

Hold on was that not Rocky Johnson then?

It looked exactly like him.

Brothers tend to look alike. Did you miss the part where he introduced himself and why he calls himself Soulman now in tribute to his brother? lol

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Brothers tend to look alike. Did you miss the part where he introduced himself and why he calls himself Soulman now in tribute to his brother? lol

Yeah I think I did miss that bit as I thought it was an old interview with Rocky Johnson 😆

As someone not well-versed in pre-'90s wrestling, the things that stand out to me the most from Dark Side and Tales from the Territories:

1) How nice a guy Kevin Sullivan seems to be out of gimmick. Bully for him and his ability to work, because for some reason I always figured he was a genuine nutbar. 

2) The praise for Dusty as a booker and creative guy. I was under the impression that most people, historically, looked down on his time(s?) as booker. 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd say that's another instance of Meltzer and his 80s readers (like the Front Row, Section D guys) shaping the narrative. 

I think the narrative is his final year in JCP before he got the boot and then when he returned in 1991 is when his booking went south. That's a pretty fair criticism especially since Dusty pushed himself heavy when probably shouldn't have. I think that + seemingly being a caricature (imo he wasn't as much as he was playing into it) in WWF probably contributed to that as time has passed.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I think the "smart readers" had soured on Dusty by late 87 if not sooner, esp the Front Row guys. 

If I wasn't busy doing Show prep, I'd try to find Observer quotes. 

Either way, I don't think the narrative was retroactively he was always a bad booker.

Didn't the "every babyface has to mention Dusty in their promos" trope pre-date 1987, though?  Shit, Dusty wasn't even on Starrcade 83 but bet your ass he got a promo and bet your ass again that when the audio failed on the in-crowd promo, he got to redo it backstage. 

I think the animosity toward Dusty the booker is the same feelings smarter fans always have toward wrestler/bookers who put themselves in the top spot.  Personally, I'm more annoyed by whatever moron decided to call 83 "Flare for the Gold," which makes no fucking sense.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Didn't the "every babyface has to mention Dusty in their promos" trope pre-date 1987, though?  Shit, Dusty wasn't even on Starrcade 83 but bet your ass he got a promo and bet your ass again that when the audio failed on the in-crowd promo, he got to redo it backstage. 

I think the animosity toward Dusty the booker is the same feelings smarter fans always have toward wrestler/bookers who put themselves in the top spot.

I think sort of the issue is Dusty had his detractors by 87/88, who were smart or otherwise. Naming a jobber Davey Meltzer and throwing dirt on him is one thing. Making fun of TK is one thing. However, naming the black butler for a new character "VIRGIL" before people even got inside jokes like that is another. If you're trying to be funny, you don't do shit like that unless you feel it's warranted. Same with Terry Taylor being the Red Rooster. You're trying to send a message.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Either way, I don't think the narrative was retroactively he was always a bad booker.

No, but you can prob find people (like Barry Rose or equivalent) who had grown tired of his booking in Florida in 83 before he moved to Crockett. He had a fresh new audience when he moved to JCP. And then, by 87, or earlier, the same type of fan soured on him and by 88, a lot of the casual fans turned too. 

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

No, but you can prob find people (like Barry Rose or equivalent) who had grown tired of his booking in Florida in 83 before he moved to Crockett. He had a fresh new audience when he moved to JCP. And then, by 87, or earlier, the same type of fan soured on him and by 88, a lot of the casual fans turned too. 

That's still well within reason and not some manufactured narrative especially considering anytime a booker has several years under his belt that's just more to overanalyze and critique.

Now that said, if we're talking Tales of the Territories, I dunno how many folks are going to be outright disparaging Dusty even if they had true ammo. That's a time and place thing. Even he was still alive, in the time people have had to reassess and reevaluate, he would likely come out with more praise then most people who were in creative back then.

Off the top of my head, the only wrestler I can think of who's regularly critical of Dusty's booking is Ronnie Garvin. I can believe Tully would be, but haven't heard him comment in recent years about it. In JCP, that is. Him booking in WCW is likely a separate topic. 

Edited by odessasteps

From all the stories, yeah, Tully got tired of Dusty's shit but it seems to be all encompassing and just not strictly booking. I think there were a few people who kinda felt that way, which in turn got in the ear of Meltzer and others writing the sheets. IMO That's what colored people's perspectives on Dusty in one way or another.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Personally, I'm more annoyed by whatever moron decided to call 83 "Flare for the Gold," which makes no fucking sense.

That bugged me, too! I felt like I was starting my book with a giant typo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't know if that specific situation is a fair criticism of Dusty, tbh. His promo was about how he was the next challenger for the winner of Flair vs. Race, whoever was in that spot would've gotten to redo that promo because it's one that you want the audience to hear. If he was just there to be all "hey, here's Dusty Rhodes, top wrestling star", sure, but he was there to set up the next program.

Fuck Hannibal. Why would you lie about being only having a second grade education and not knowing how to read and write? From someone feared by the public for their entire life? Who was finally broken down enough to admit that? I call bullshit. Hugo even smelling it is reason enough to say it. I might be biased, but a woman feeding the homeless saying he's a good man is enough for me. 

• Like 1