DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

On 7/16/2016 at 10:16 AM, Ryan said:

Your disdain for the Billy Goat's Curse and Kondo/Gorilla Clutch displeases me.

Seconded.

A couple thoughts.  I tend to dislike when flippy guys and power wrestlers who don't do any submission moves get a submission finisher over.  Jeff Hardy randomly breaking out the spine line always seems odd to me.  If you're going to use a submission finisher, I probably want to see some mat wrestling out of you, or at least some psychology to show that you're weakening a body part to set up the finisher.  I'm not going to buy a guy that doesn't use much psychology or seem to know any mat wrestling or submission holds randomly breaking out one submission to win the match. Unfortunately, this includes one of my favorite wrestlers ever - Sting.  Definitely  top 10 and probably a top 5 guy for me, but I never really bought into Sting using a submission finish 

It's not the worse finisher ever, but I hated Silas Young using the Pee Gee Waja Plunge in ROH.  Silas' moveset has really never fit his character, but it was at it's worst when he started doing the "Last Real Man" gimmick.  Not sure who the last real man in wrestling really is, but I'm guessing when we find him, he won't be doing a lot of flips.  Fortunately, Silas has been using the bridging full nelson and fireman carry cutter more the last year or so.  Dig Silas as a character, but he has the worst moveset for his gimmick this side of Dean Ambrose.

It's probably heresy, but I never liked Manami Toyota's Ocean Cyclone Suplex.  She has variations of that that look just as good, and I'm not a fan of the electric chair setup.  I don't care much for the electric chair drop in general except as some sort of desperation move/counter to a huracanrana, and Toyota lifting larger women like Aja Kong up on her shoulders never looked good to me.

2cc33c8e98906d8e8d0d2c0dcdfbb084052b17ba

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

His life is a fight to the death. His words.

I want to get all of his friends together, hook them up to a lie detector, and ask them every single question I can think of about him.  Low-Ki seems like he'd have a group of friends who could tell some great stories...most of them about him.

• 1 month later...

Finn Balor's Sling Blade clothesline thing falls victim to the same problem as JTG's sling blade clothesline thing, the problem is that Yoshino did the move so awesomely that it makes anyone else doing it look less impressive by comparison.

Kawada and Hashimoto's enziguri might be my all time favorite, even though both guys had more protected finishers.  

A few other finisher's I've always liked, that I haven't seen mentioned:

Victoria's Widows Peak

Both Hokuto's original Northern Lights Bomb, and Tenryu's However Many Years Old version

Jun Akiyama's Wrist Clutch Exploder

Though it was diminished pretty quickly, I always thought McGuiness' Tower of London looked devastating

Steve Williams' Backdrop Driver is maybe the most consistently terrifying finish I can think of, for better and worse

I was happy when Paige brought back Konnan's 1-8-7 DDT and Bull Nakano's leglock.  A pity they never looked nearly as good, but still, points for the moves.

The problem is that these days, everyone does finishers as transition moves, and don't even pay attention to the moves each other are doing.  It's hard to buy a move as a finish late in the card when a midcarder used it as a highspot in the second match.

With that said, I've always been partial to the Pedigree.

4 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I was happy when Paige brought back Konnan's 1-8-7 DDT and Bull Nakano's leglock.  A pity they never looked nearly as good, but still, points for the moves.

The problem is that these days, everyone does finishers as transition moves, and don't even pay attention to the moves each other are doing.  It's hard to buy a move as a finish late in the card when a midcarder used it as a highspot in the second match.

Can't remember which ppv it was but not too long ago I saw frog splashes in three different matches. I thought it was the job of the agents to make sure stuff like that didn't happen.

14 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I'm not saying I'm pissed every time I see a DDT get used as a midcard transition move, but it is a pretty big wrestling pet peeve of mine.  The worst part is that the DDT still looks more devastating than most finishers.  You can't tell me that driving a mans head into the ground using all of your body weight is less devastating than a fireman's carry, a football tackle, or any single strike.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm not saying I'm pissed every time I see a DDT get used as a midcard transition move, but it is a pretty big wrestling pet peeve of mine.  The worst part is that the DDT still looks more devastating than most finishers.  You can't tell me that driving a mans head into the ground using all of your body weight is less devastating than a fireman's carry, a football tackle, or any single strike.  

This is precisely why I jumped at Cedric's brainbuster against Ibushi. A death nail thst should have been a pinfall. A move so rare these days that the first glimpse of it looks like certain death for the opponent. 

17 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

And back to this point, last night Big E threw two belly to belly suplexes in a match where Bayley used her belly to belly finisher.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 10:19 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Seconded.

A couple thoughts.  I tend to dislike when flippy guys and power wrestlers who don't do any submission moves get a submission finisher over.  Jeff Hardy randomly breaking out the spine line always seems odd to me.  If you're going to use a submission finisher, I probably want to see some mat wrestling out of you, or at least some psychology to show that you're weakening a body part to set up the finisher.  I'm not going to buy a guy that doesn't use much psychology or seem to know any mat wrestling or submission holds randomly breaking out one submission to win the match. Unfortunately, this includes one of my favorite wrestlers ever - Sting.  Definitely  top 10 and probably a top 5 guy for me, but I never really bought into Sting using a submission finish 

It's not the worse finisher ever, but I hated Silas Young using the Pee Gee Waja Plunge in ROH.  Silas' moveset has really never fit his character, but it was at it's worst when he started doing the "Last Real Man" gimmick.  Not sure who the last real man in wrestling really is, but I'm guessing when we find him, he won't be doing a lot of flips.  Fortunately, Silas has been using the bridging full nelson and fireman carry cutter more the last year or so.  Dig Silas as a character, but he has the worst moveset for his gimmick this side of Dean Ambrose.

It's probably heresy, but I never liked Manami Toyota's Ocean Cyclone Suplex.  She has variations of that that look just as good, and I'm not a fan of the electric chair setup.  I don't care much for the electric chair drop in general except as some sort of desperation move/counter to a huracanrana, and Toyota lifting larger women like Aja Kong up on her shoulders never looked good to me.

2cc33c8e98906d8e8d0d2c0dcdfbb084052b17ba

I always bought the Scorpion as like the torture rack- submissions based more on overpowering the opponent more than wearing down a part and twisting it.   I can buy a power wrestler doing a back submission (and the scorpion to me was a back and leg submission) with slams, the stinger splash,  and stuff wearing down the back.