DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1B: DALTON CASTLE vs. KATSUYORI SHIBATA

MM16: 1st RDB - DALTON CASTLE vs. KATSUYORI SHIBATA  

93 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Being lovable earns one a vote over someone routinely having the best matches on NJPW cards in an era that rivals their peak success of the early to mid 1990s?  I can't honestly believe that anyone voting for Castle has seen Shibata vs. Ishii.

Being lovable earns one a vote over someone routinely having the best matches on NJPW cards in an era that rivals their peak success of the early to mid 1990s?  I can't honestly believe that anyone voting for Castle has seen Shibata vs. Ishii.

This is March Madness, right? So since it's not a GWE poll where we're just looking at work, having an emotional connection to someone is going to push that person over the edge for me. It's more important for me to care about my wrestlers to an extent than to recognize them as mechanically great, at least in this tournament where it's kinda a "vote based on whatever criteria you want" thing.

I have seen Shibata/Ishii simply because, while I don't watch tons of New Japan, I watch the major shows and matches that get pimped, and it is great, but I just really love me some Dalton Castle. I'm not saying that it's the right viewpoint, but it's the one I'll take when I don't see an outright winner immediately. 

• Like 2

This is March Madness, right? So since it's not a GWE poll where we're just looking at work, having an emotional connection to someone is going to push that person over the edge for me. It's more important for me to care about my wrestlers to an extent than to recognize them as mechanically great, at least in this tournament where it's kinda a "do what

I have seen Shibata/Ishii simply because, while I don't watch tons of New Japan, I watch the major shows and matches that get pimped, and it is great, but I just really love me some Dalton Castle. I'm not saying that it's the right viewpoint, but it's the one I'll take when I don't see an outright winner immediately. 

Fair enough, I can respect that.  I still stand by my point that having seen Shibata vs. Ishii from WK10 should basically be a prerequisite for voting on this one.  Exposing just that match to some friends and co-workers has resulted in people hitting me up asking when the next big NJPW show is and whether or not I'll be watching it live/having people over.

• Like 1

Being lovable earns one a vote over someone routinely having the best matches on NJPW cards in an era that rivals their peak success of the early to mid 1990s? 

What the hell are you even talking about.

• Like 1

This is March Madness, right? So since it's not a GWE poll where we're just looking at work, having an emotional connection to someone is going to push that person over the edge for me. It's more important for me to care about my wrestlers to an extent than to recognize them as mechanically great, at least in this tournament where it's kinda a "do what

Fair enough, I can respect that.  I still stand by my point that having seen Shibata vs. Ishii from WK10 should basically be a prerequisite for voting on this one.  Exposing just that match to some friends and co-workers has resulted in people hitting me up asking when the next big NJPW show is and whether or not I'll be watching it live/having people over.

I'll ignore that match so Shibata has a chance against Castle.

Being lovable earns one a vote over someone routinely having the best matches on NJPW cards in an era that rivals their peak success of the early to mid 1990s? I can't honestly believe that anyone voting for Castle has seen Shibata vs. Ishii.

Since I was guilty of this, I'll answer, too. When someone I trust tells me to watch a Shibata match, I do and I'm usually pleased by it. I seek out Dalton Castle matches on my own.

On my Roku there's a channel with just some random dirt indies. On one of them, Dalton's boys wrestled in a tiny storefront as heels and I got super pumped. When ancillary characters get me excited, then I must really like a wrestler.

I know that seems arbitrary, but it's the best I can offer.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed what little of Shibata's work I've seen, but Castle is one of my favorite acts going right now.  Dude just gets pro wrestling and how to be a character, plus he's highly underrated in terms of actual matwork ability.  I hope he has a big year and has more chances to showcase his skills rather than just his character work.

Dalton is a great wrestler, he's got a great gimmick and knows how to work, but his matches have never reached the level of what Shibata's been doing this year. DC needs at least one really stand out match to be in contention and I don't think he has it. I think he will by next year.

• Like 1

I think I've finally nailed down in my head what annoys me about Shibata.  I think his main strength is his air of legitimacy where he comes off as being real due to the nature of his style and how hard he is hitting and all that jaz.  But you know what isn't legit?  Letting the other mother f'er hit you as hard as possible as you stand there!  No legit MMA fighter is going to do that nonsense and Shibata is good for three of those an outing.  At least when Castle does something out there, its protected by his entire presentation of being that character.  Shibata breaks his own immersion with the dopey exchanges and thats why I'm not voting for him.

• Like 1

Being lovable earns one a vote over someone routinely having the best matches on NJPW cards in an era that rivals their peak success of the early to mid 1990s? I can't honestly believe that anyone voting for Castle has seen Shibata vs. Ishii.

Since I was guilty of this, I'll answer, too. When someone I trust tells me to watch a Shibata match, I do and I'm usually pleased by it. I seek out Dalton Castle matches on my own.

On my Roku there's a channel with just some random dirt indies. On one of them, Dalton's boys wrestled in a tiny storefront as heels and I got super pumped. When ancillary characters get me excited, then I must really like a wrestler.

I know that seems arbitrary, but it's the best I can offer.

What Roku channel is this?  That sounds like something that I need to be watching.

Between WWE Network, DailyMotion, and the Independent Wrestling Channel, you can see a lot of good wrestling (and a lot of stuff for this tournament) using a Roku. 

• Like 1

For some reason this thread made me forget that I forgot to lobby for Cheeseburger

I actually was kinda shocked no one did in the nominations.

It kinda made me realize that I don't think a lot of folks are watching ROH

I understand why Shibata's winning and rightfully so, but damnit I love Dalton Castle.  Is he a better wrestler?  No, but damn is he entertaining.  I don't know what long-term plans they had with him when he was in that tournament, if any.  But as soon as he lifted his cape the first time it was such a holy shit moment.  I'm so glad he's around and I just love it everytime he's on TV.  For a company known for largely super serious wrestling (or was known for it) he's by far one of the biggest stars around.

• Like 2