DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-25-16 - The Rock Returns and Saves WWE for One Night

MGFanJay

I don't think Trish relied solely on her looks early on.. even in those early matches with Steph and Lita you could tell she had something. They had some brawls in 2000/2001 that were quite violent and entertaining.

Also, according to wiki Alexa is 24. She's the same age now as when Trish debuted.  A lot can happen in the next couple years. I think she has a ton of potential.

Lana came off natural in her role as a heel, but not as a face. Alexa came off natural as a face, but not as a heel. My biggest issue with Lana as a face mainly falls in WWE's lap as when WWE turns someone face that is when the pandering begins and the removal of gimmicks that got the person over in the first place. For Del Rio it was his cars and being seen with hot women. For Lana it was the business suits, bun, and being calculating. She was the velvet glove in the iron fist pairing. Lana was also a good promo as a heel and got herself, Rusev, and Rusev's opponents over. FWIW, even when she was pandering Lana stayed over (but differently cooled off) with the crowd. Bliss on the other hand was mildly over and then went to being even less over once she turned heel.

With Lana, it was as natural a transition as possible and though her character wasn't everyone's cup of tea, it made sense within the story and we could understand why she was acting the way she was. A foreign woman being in love with an American man and adopting the culture while acting completely love struck, we could see it. For Alexa, it went from twirling and blowing glitter one week to overly compensating struts down the ramp the next week. From the OTT facial expressions, inflection and emphasis on the wrong part of words (and sometimes the word itself) during promos, and generic 'mean girl' body language she picked up from watching Letters to Juliet. Its just bad all around and I still can't believe someone hasn't told her that less is more. She isn't a heel. She is playing a heel. Its too obvious and she might as well carry the playbook in her back pocket as she walks out to the ring and change her Twitter handle to @HEELALEXA.

If both were released, I would only miss Alexa, because I think that ever since she started doing her squats that she became hot. Alexa also has a higher upside in the ring than Lana and I hope Lana continues to improve and breaks into that upper tier to be considered peers alongside Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley, Becky, and Asuka.

I don't think Trish relied solely on her looks early on.. even in those early matches with Steph and Lita you could tell she had something. They had some brawls in 2000/2001 that were quite violent and entertaining.

Also, according to wiki Alexa is 24. She's the same age now as when Trish debuted.  A lot can happen in the next couple years. I think she has a ton of potential.

....what? Trish was entirely "Look at how hot she is" for the first 2-3 years of her career. There was absolutely no substance to her beyond that. Even after she started wrestling, it was still about how hot she was. The "wow she's improved so much, look at how much work she's put in" is pretty revisionist stuff that started around the time she retired.

....what? Trish was entirely "Look at how hot she is" for the first 2-3 years of her career. There was absolutely no substance to her beyond that. Even after she started wrestling, it was still about how hot she was. The "wow she's improved so much, look at how much work she's put in" is pretty revisionist stuff that started around the time she retired.

I'd say that by 2005 or so, people had started to really comment on her improvement. It's revisionism to pretend that people didn't notice that. 

• Like 1

I'd say that by 2005 or so, people had started to really comment on her improvement. It's revisionism to pretend that people didn't notice that. 

And she retired in 2006. She improved so much it took people 4 years to acknowledge it? Let's not get crazy here. Trish, even with her improvements and hard work, was still NXT rookie level in the ring. She got lauded as being so good because right after her came all the Divas Search women and bikini models that had no training and couldn't do anything. Her ring work was by far the weakest part of her. Similar to Alexa Bliss. I see the comparisons.

Yeah, Stro is wrong on this one. People were praising Trish as early as 02/03 for improving, and her final heel turn had people pointing out that she was really, really good at it (which she was). 

...it's my own fault for reading his post, isn't it?

On the one hand, yes, because it is Cibernetico, but on the other hand, dat ass. 

Once again, there's an issue here of you projecting your opinion as if it's the law of the land. She was better than you give her credit for.

If we're really saying Trish was genuinely good in the ring, and not just good for a woman in her era when women's wrestling wasn't good and got significantly worse right after she left, then obviously I can not be a part of this conversation. Trish was great as a personality. She was passable at best in the ring in a weak era that only got weaker in the years after her.

Once again, there's an issue here of you projecting your opinion as if it's the law of the land. She was better than you give her credit for.

giphy.gif

Well, that's one way to have a conversation.

Again, calling Lana the character a whore on a scripted television show is not at all the same thing as calling CJ Perry a whore in real life. Allegedly punishing her by calling her character is weird, for sure, but if anyone watches that and thinks the real person behind the character is being called a whore (including those involved in the segment), then I have to assume they have similar thoughts when a character is called a whore on something like The Sopranos or Mad Men. Which is bizarre.

This is all based on Meltzer conjecture, which was 400 words to say "Something might have been said somewhere maybe, but I don't know, but people are talking about it, maybe, I can't say for sure though."

You realize that Mad Men is a show that put January Jones in a fat suit for more than a season because they were upset she took a movie role? 

Also, this thread is like a snake eating its own tail, but the tail is made of dicks that hatch spider eggs or something. 

• Like 2

Again, calling Lana the character a whore on a scripted television show is not at all the same thing as calling CJ Perry a whore in real life. Allegedly punishing her by calling her character is weird, for sure, but if anyone watches that and thinks the real person behind the character is being called a whore (including those involved in the segment), then I have to assume they have similar thoughts when a character is called a whore on something like The Sopranos or Mad Men. Which is bizarre.

This is all based on Meltzer conjecture, which was 400 words to say "Something might have been said somewhere maybe, but I don't know, but people are talking about it, maybe, I can't say for sure though."

You realize that Mad Men is a show that put January Jones in a fat suit for more than a season because they were upset she took a movie role? 

Also, this thread is like a snake eating its own tail, but the tail is made of dicks that hatch spider eggs or something. 

Thats a fuck of a description right there.

giphy.gif

Well, that's one way to have a conversation.

It would just be back and forth nonsense with no one agreeing and everyone hating reading it. This is a preventative measure for the sake of everyone.

Paint-by-the-numbers sub-standard matches with flat promos infused with cringe worthy comedy that makes Dolph Ziggler look like Rodeny Dangerfield? I am not sure how she was a highlight of the show. Trish looked good up until the end of the first half of 2001, from there it was  here working at the lowest level possible with such great talent as Amy Weber, Joy, Carmella, overrated and eventually exposed post WWE Victoria, Maria, Candice Michelle, Torrie Wilson, and tons of other shitty women. An occasional passable five minute match against Molly Holly, Jazz, and Gail Kim just isn't enough in my book. Good workers elevate people and make them look credible. Trish didn't do that. Trish wasn't able to turn chicken shit into chicken salad, but she did add seasoning and spices.

That list of Trish's contemporaries really highlights how impressive it was for her to succeed as a wrestler. I don't think anyone's saying her in-ring resume GOAT material, you just have to look at it in context. Someone like Paige who is probably the 4th or 5th best woman in WWE today already has a better body of work than Trish, but she isn't held in high regard because it doesn't stand out relative to her peers. If Trish came up through the performance center and NXT, she'd be at the front of the pack right now. Paige in the era of bikini contests and bra and panty matches with minimally-trained models? Unlikely to leave a better legacy than Molly Holly.