DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

I'm happy for you, Disco, and I'm a let ya finish, but Tito was the greatest midcarder of all time.

And by the way, it's not even fucking CLOSE.

Tito?

Personally I think Jermaine was way overrated, though Jackie and Marlon never get any love.

Tito was Arn Anderson to Michael's Rey Mysterio Jr.

James

I heard Bischoff didn't want to push Michael, saw him as a career opening act. 

• Like 4

Tito is a great choice, but boy does that point out a difference in what midcarder was and what a midcarder is today. The same goes for Disco as well. Greg Valentine comes to mind too.

Tito is a great choice, but boy does that point out a difference in what midcarder was and what a midcarder is today. The same goes for Disco as well. Greg Valentine comes to mind too.

Tito, after his runs with Valentine/Savage ended, was the ultimate safety valve. Need someone to make this guy over here look like a million dollars? Tito. Tom Zenk leaves and you need someone to plug into his spot? Tito. Need a babyface as a third teammate to block for Hogan and Warrior? Tito.

You could have him do anything you needed at any given time and have it be credible. THAT is the definition of a great midcarder. Ditto Valentine as well. He had the same spot on the other side.

• Like 3

Strike Force was one of my FAVORITE tag teams as a kid and Demolition murdering Rick Martel crushed me. Then I hated Rick Martel for being such an asshole to Tito.

I thought he really blinded Jake. Jake cuts those promos with his eyes rolled into the back of his head it freaked me the fuck out. One of the GOAT midcard feuds of all time..

Tito, after his runs with Valentine/Savage ended, was the ultimate safety valve. Need someone to make this guy over here look like a million dollars? Tito. Tom Zenk leaves and you need someone to plug into his spot? Tito. Need a babyface as a third teammate to block for Hogan and Warrior? Tito.

You could have him do anything you needed at any given time and have it be credible. THAT is the definition of a great midcarder. Ditto Valentine as well. He had the same spot on the other side.

This also points out the difference in what midcarders were and what a midcarder is today, though- since all those things about Tito Santana could easily be said about Kofi Kingston in the modern era. However, Tito was seen as genuinely a success for how good he was as a midcarder, and yet for Kofi, it seems like he's a net failure because he was never really a main eventer/not the World Champion/not THE MAN.

• Like 1

This also points out the difference in what midcarders were and what a midcarder is today, though- since all those things about Tito Santana could easily be said about Kofi Kingston in the modern era. However, Tito was seen as genuinely a success for how good he was as a midcarder, and yet for Kofi, it seems like he's a net failure because he was never really a main eventer/not the World Champion/not THE MAN.

That's actually a really good point. I think that they've conditioned the fans to think that if a guy doesn't win the world title within a year or two of entering the company, he's being BERRIED or he sucks and he might as well be in a stable with Heath Slater or Wade Barrett.

Here's something fun: Roman Reigns is a 12 Time Slammy Award winner. I know The Slammys don't really mean anything, but cruising random wrestlers Wikis today, it was interesting to see such a high number for him and I would venture to say he has won the most in Slammys history.

This man respectfully disagrees

1.jpg?w=584

• Like 1

Tito was way more than just a midcarder pre and early expansion era. He was the second most over and important babyface for 5 or 6 years in WWE. He wasn't just a midcarder until the 90s, really. A ten year run as an upper midcarder and semi-main eventer if needed doesn't sound like a midcarder to me.

You know how you know you were a big deal?  When you leave for the next journy, The World Champ not only holds the ropes for you coming in the ring, he also carries you out on his shoulders for you to make a triumphant exit.

• Like 1