DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 12/31/15

victor

* Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns vs. Sheamus and Kevin Owens is announced as tonight's main event

* WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day come out for a New Year's Eve promo. They're interrupted by The Dudley Boyz and then Kalisto. We get a six-man match

* Kalisto and The Dudley Boyz defeated The New Day by pinfall

* Tyler Breeze defeated Goldust by pinfall. Breeze and Summer Rae are apparently done as they decide to split up for the New Year

* Luke Harper and Braun Strowman defeated The Usos when Braun made one of them submit

* Brie Bella and Alicia Fox defeated Naomi and Tamina Snuka

* Dolph Ziggler defeated Bo Dallas

* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns and WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose vs. Sheamus and Kevin Owens ends in a DQ after a good hard-hitting brawl. Reigns stopped Owens from powerbombing him through the announce table after the match, with a Superman punch

Splitting up Breeze and Summer Rae seems strange, seems like the beginning of the end for him.

* Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns vs. Sheamus and Kevin Owens is announced as tonight's main event

* WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day come out for a New Year's Eve promo. They're interrupted by The Dudley Boyz and then Kalisto. We get a six-man match

* Tyler Breeze defeated Goldust by pinfall. Breeze and Summer Rae are apparently done as they decide to split up for the New Year

* Luke Harper and Braun Strowman defeated The Usos when Braun made one of them submit

* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns and WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose vs. Sheamus and Kevin Owens ends in a DQ after a good hard-hitting brawl. Reigns stopped Owens from powerbombing him through the announce table after the match, with a Superman punch

Splitting up Breeze and Summer Rae seems strange, seems like the beginning of the end for him.
Besides the stupidity of splitting up Tyler and Summer Rae, this doesn't look like a bad show. The piss poor use of Tyler Breeze is one of many things I don't understand about current WWE.

I dunno, I'd say it's probably good for Breeze.

Name someone who benefitted from their association with Summer Rae? Fandango: tumbled down the card with her, then further after their breakup angle.  Layla: Pretty much disappeared from TV after their alliance, then retired.  Mizdow/Miz: I didn't even this pairing until looking it up on Wikipedia.  Rusev: tumbled down the card during this poorly-scripted and even poorer aborted storyline.  Whether or not you think Summer Rae's doing a good job (She seems pretty game for whatever they give her), anyone associated with her seems to suffer.  So Breeze getting away from her is probably a blessing for his career.  I kinda wish WWE would put Summer Rae with Brie and Alicia Fox as the new BFFs, then they could feud with Nikki when she gets back.  Summer Rae was never better than she was as a mean girl.

That's kinda a weak mindset. Fandango went to the spot a guy with a ballroom dancer gimmick was always gonna go. Layla was basically done. Mizdow/Miz was a hugely over act till Mania, after the Summer influence. And blaming Summer for Rusevs fall down the card instead of, you know, having him lose to Cena and then go into a feud with Dolph Ziggler is a total eye roller.

Also, "here's a few things she did that either bombed or didn't last" isn't proof of anything. How many main roster acts have elevated ANYONE and stayed over in the last few years?

Daniel Bryan

Brock Lesnar

The Shield (until the breakup)

New Day

You can MAYBE throw in the US Title challenge series, but after that it's kinda over midcarders like Ambrose, Ziggler, the Wyatts, the Usos, etc.

Version with a little more details (from WON)

The crowd is pretty full for a Smackdown. The hard camera side is basically full at least.  I missed the first two matches, but I was told that Darren Young beat Curtis Axel in the dark match.

Main Event

R-Truth beat Heath Slater. 

Titus O'Neil beat Adam Rose.

‎Jack Swagger submitted Stardust with the ankle lock in about 10 minutes.  They worked awfully hard for a Main Event match.

Smackdown

‎Show opened by replaying the Vince arrest angle from last night.  They announced the main event of Reigns and Ambrose vs. Sheamus and Owens.

New Day came out to celebrate New Year's Eve. They said their New Year's resolution was nothing because they are perfect. They said the people needed to change because they didn't vote for the New Day for the Slammies. They read a list of resolutions for the people so they'd finally appreciate the New Day. Mildly funny.  ‎The Lucha Dragons came out.  They argued and challenged the New Day for a match even though Sin Cara is injured. The Dragons then brought out the Dudleys for a 6 man match.

The Dudleys and Kalisto beat the New Day when Kalisto pinned Kofi. The Dudleys then put Xavier Woods through a table with "Happy New Year" spray painted on it.  

During the commercials, they played New Year's wishes from various wrestlers.

Tyler Breeze (w/Summer Rae) beat Goldust in a short match. Summer then said they had a huge New Year's announcement. Tyler said that starting in the New Year, the two of them would be going their separate ways. But they left the crowd with one last "Gorgeous Selfie".

Backstage, Bo Dallas was giving out New Year's Re-Bo-lutions (including telling Curtis Axel to start wearing deodorant). He ran into Dolph Ziggler. After a few insults back and forth, they announced a match between them later. 

Braun Strowman and Luke Harper (w/Erick Rowan) beat the Usos. Strowman got the submission after some quick interference from Rowan.  

They announced John Cena's return to Smackdown for next week.  

Alicia Fox and Brie Bella ‎beat Tamina and Naomi when Brie pinned Naomi after a couple of minutes.

They announced that there will be a house show in DC on Sunday March, 27th. Thought we were getting the go home Raw before Wrestlemania here, but apparently not.  

Dolph Ziggler beat Bo Dallas with a superkick after selling for a few minutes. Not much else to it.

Reigns came out to a decent reaction, but nothing spectacular. Ambrose seemed to get louder cheers.

Reigns and Ambrose beat Sheamus and Kevin Owens by DQ when Owens pulled Reigns out of the ring and crotched him on the ring post after about 10 minutes. Owens and Sheamus beat down Reigns and then Ambrose. Owens was about to powerbomb Ambrose through the announce table when Reigns recovered to give them both Superman punches. Reigns and Ambrose then posed on the announce table. Got a decent reaction, but not much of a main event.  

Summer could never compare to the original Fandango dancer. She was a definite downgrade.

Oh man - I totally miss Andrea

It's funny - you would have thought she would be the perfect type to stick around with the WWE.

Young, attractive, doesn't know anything about wrestling.

Summer could never compare to the original Fandango dancer. She was a definite downgrade.

Oh man - I totally miss Andrea

It's funny - you would have thought she would be the perfect type to stick around with the WWE.

Young, attractive, doesn't know anything about wrestling.

She had the one thing WWE hates, goals outside of WWE that are achievable without WWE. The problem became she rather be a dancer than a WWE Diva and she was doing fine w/o WWE. Although I will say it was somewhat amazing what WWE did for her in terms of making sure she could complete her schoolwork on the road providing her everything she needed

So first Lana posts her & Rusev's real life engagement on Twitter, and Rusev dumps Summer in storyline. And then Breeze's real life girlfriend appears on Breaking Ground, and Breeze he splits with Summer in storyline. Is Summer's real-life boyfriend some sort of super athlete who Vince is trying to recruit or something?

Wasn't there a third Fandango dancer?

I stay home on Amateur Night so I'll comment on what's worth watching, or more likely isn't.

- Bubba fucked up the forehead 'loser' handsign but at least they didn't do anything else worse in this match, except win. Kalisto could be their next Rey if they want it but who knows. (Later on, Alicia fucks up the loser sign too. I like her better than Bubba though)

- Pantera and Hardee's: the perfect match

- King saying Goldust reminded him of a Tarantino movie made me realize that there is not a single LGBTQ character in any of his films*, unless Hateful Eight gets REALLY weird for the time period. Dustin picks up a paycheck which is always good to see. Later on we find out they're attaching a PG show to Hateful Eight promotionally which is pretty fucked up. 

- Bo to Dolph: "You know, everything you say sounds like you're about to tell a joke, but nothing you say is funny."

- If Straightmeng were around in the '80s you just know he'd be Vince's Taker or Inoki's Vader. What the hell was that submission Harper put on An Uso? Also I swear he said "When I say Us, you say OH" as he was putting him in it. 

- Speaking of shit I didn't expect to hear, somebody in the crowd tries to start a "We Bolieve" chant, probably because he's blasting Ziggler with elbows the whole match. Also speaking of people I like better than each other, I like Bo better than Ziggler.

- Boy there's a whole lot of sucking Cena's dick on this show.

- Yet another question, Steen vs. Moxley never happened on the indies, right? Would be neat to see if so. This match, not so much. 

Should've just got down two more Sopranos episodes...

* nevermind, I forgot about Zed, Maynard, and the Gimp in Pulp Fiction