DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Matt Miazga has been sold by Metro for $5 million to Chelsea. Cory put it best on MF: this is like hearing your daughter found a six figure job, then finding out it's as a stripper. Chelsea are the most vile and unlikeable club in the entire world, and they have a history of hoarding young tallent and letting him rot. I have no problem with him leaving but this is just awful and will not end well.

Full FA Cup fifth-round draw:

Chelsea v Manchester City

Reading v West Brom or Peterborough

Watford v Leeds United

Shrewsbury Town v Manchester United

Blackburn v Liverpool or West Ham

Tottenham v Crystal Palace

Arsenal v Hull

Bournemouth v Everton

There are far more fun options for next ManU manager than just Jose Mourinho. When you're looking for a manager with European-level experience, an ability to recruit top level internationals, knowledge of how the Premier League/ Europe/ FA Cup/ League Cup fixture congestion can kill a season, you've got far more options who are available (or would be available if you asked nicely) right now than just Jose Mourinho.

You've got Rafa Benitez, Manuel Pellegrini, Brendan Rogers, Roberto Mancini, just for a start. What ManU fan could possibly object to being managed by Liverpool or Man City's cast-offs?

EDIT: I was a bit confused earlier why Spurs were being linked with a player they already had. But apparently Mousa Dembele and Moussa Dembele are two different people.

• Like 1

Agreed, but if you're looking to get to that next level in Europe, he's going to give you a better shot than Pellegrini (whom I like quite a lot going back to his underrated Villarreal days) and attract a higher quality player. Between Pep and City's wages, there's probably no player outside of Messi and Ronaldo they couldn't sign if they wanted him. He's a perfect fit for their soulless project they're still forging. 

• Like 1

They've shown zero loyalty here and to players and staff in the past. They will upgrade without a moment's hesitation. But that's modern football. It's not as if Pellegrini or Mancini before him did a poor job.

Questions from a non-soccer fan (to say the least) who likes underdog stories I don't think I asked here yet:

1) Is Leicster to the Premier League what Kansas City is to baseball? (Small markets that rise to shocking prominence despite all the odds against them and entrenched powers-that-be? Does Leicster play an off-brand style like KC's running/defense game?)

2) We obviously have a history here of people falling in love with underdog teams. This is most obvious in the NCAA Tournament but there are a lot of pro teams people hop on bandwagons for, too. (Like Kansas City.) Is the English sporting scene similar? As in, are people really freaking out about the Foxes and are fans of a team like Newcastle or another non-contender really getting behind them?

If they manage to win, I could see parallels with them and the Royals. They counter attack better than anybody else, so they don't need a bunch of skilled midfielders because they bypass the middle frequently.

And I'd say that most without a team in the title picture are pulling for Leicester to win it. City with their depth will be hard to match down the stretch though.

One positive out of Liverpool's loss is 3pt's for Leicester. The Tinker Man is doing a phenomenal job there and outside of LFC winning (which this season has no chance of happening) I'd much rather Leicester win the league to shake things up. I wonder though whether the vultures will hover over Ranieri if they do win and he gets a bigger managerial role away from Leicester City. But going back to Liverpool, I think Jurgen Klopp has the deck stacked against him. If he had a fully fit squad I think they'd be top 4 at least. But with them in 4 competitions and a squad stretched to its limits that they have been playing youth players it's taking a toll and I'd imagine the entire squad will be broken down by the end of the season. One guy who desperately needs a shot of self-confidence is Benteke. Everytime he gets the ball he can't get it away from him quick enough when he should have the confidence to shoot at any good opportunity at the goal. Instead I've seen him misplace passes, pass when he has a clear shot on goal etc. Maybe Klopp should send him to a sport psychologist and help him out because he does have a good track record as a goal scorer, but he's going thru a dry spell right now and until he scores & gains confidence this will continue on & on. I also wonder how long the powers that be at Liverpool will give Jurgen to turn it around. He's in a situation where he's inherited a mess, a squad of some under achieving players, signed for huge transfer fees and he needs to ship them out and bring in players who will fight for every loose ball on the pitch and give 110%. I think the whole team needs a re-shuffle, especially up front, but saying that I'd keep Christian Benteke because he is a goal scorer as proved when he was at Aston Villa, but for some reason it hasn't worked out for him at LFC. Failing that I would like outside of the premiership for a striker, since there you are paying high transfer fees for players that you might find for a more reasonable price elsewhere.   Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at Klopp's old club Dortmund, would be a good signing and he is a transfer target for the Reds too.

Questions from a non-soccer fan (to say the least) who likes underdog stories I don't think I asked here yet:

1) Is Leicster to the Premier League what Kansas City is to baseball? (Small markets that rise to shocking prominence despite all the odds against them and entrenched powers-that-be? Does Leicster play an off-brand style like KC's running/defense game?)

With the pro/rel factor added in it's more like if the Omaha Storm Chasers were magically lifted from AAA and went on to the World Series.