DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-18-15

MGFanJay

They spent 15 minutes to set up Ryback-Sheamus, but in the process, made sure to talk about how weak Bryan was and how they'd be putting the title on the line in a match that shortens careers right after talking about Bryan having his career shortened. Ryback vs. Sheamus was something else. The press slam to Sheamus on the floor was nasty, and they're really prepping Ryback up for the IC Title by having him lose two straight.  Barrett-Neville really got Bo over. The other guys were in fact there. Loved everything with the Lana-Rusev deal - her accent slipped with every other word, and Rusev was hilarious. 

New Day vs. CK was good, but wasn't given time to be more. At least the tag title chamber guys are known now. Holy crap was everything involving Owens and Cena perfect - they made that man tonight. The Dolph-Lana stuff was unexpected to some degree, but telegraphed fairly well by having Rusev already in the IC Chamber. Harper and Rowan squash was a thing. Ditto Naomi-Nikki. LOVE CENA-OWENS AT EC! That should be fantastic. The Seth love-fest was great until the goofy cinder blocks. I'm all for Dean getting a main event push - even a surface-level one is better than being on the mid-card treadmill.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/wwe-raw-5-18-15.html

Screens -

9455b4410457647.jpg

663e1f410458928.jpg

e7e4da410462457.jpg

ba1941410462467.jpg

81e6df410467706.jpg 

b1d645410467764.jpg 

e737cc410467785.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/gfbngu300sfz5d14vfg9p6usqxgwpl35

Usually guys who have been in the business 10-15 years will get sick of working the same guys and request to work the younger guys. John Cena is a shining example of this and has completely rejuvenated his career. The U.S. Title Open Challenge is something to look forward to every single week. Kudos to Cena and the writing crew (if they had much to do with it)  2015 Cena might even be better than 2005 Cena. Still kinda shocked I wrote that paragraph.

• Like 3

Owens and Cena segment was AWESOME and no Owens does not need to defeat Cena at Elimination Chamber but at some point it would be nice if the young guys could pick up a couple wins over the established vets.  The match itself should be very good.

I hate what they're doing with Rusev and Lana.  It's generic soap opera revenge bullshit. Dolph Ziggler is a black hole. Rusev and Lana are well on their way to midcard purgatory and for no fucking reason at all. 

The tag match elimination chamber is looking incredible on paper.  It's looking like a great card despite the horrendous booking.

This is the first Raw I've watched live since the NBA Playoffs started. (Priorities.) Awesome show.

The Kevin Owens/Cena segment was an A+. I thought Sami Zayn taking it to Cena (and hitting his awesome corner tornado DDT) was a debut. Owens is such an awesome sinister heel. He was such a condescending prick and cheapshot artist and cold all at once. Him triumphantly standing on the US Title while doing the "You Can't See Me" was amazing.

Bo Dallas as an announcer every single Raw, please.

Lana/Rusev/Ziggler was a really fun few segments. I love Rusev's psychology in this. He's pissed he lost and tossed Lana aside, but like every macho creep jerk can't stand to see her in the arms of another. They could have maybe ran with Lana making eyes with Dolph next week but either way, that was aces.

Seth Rollins: Architect was such great wrestling trash. I love the slow burn it looks like we're getting when Triple H is going to want to put this young punk in his place. Ambrose putting Seth on a pile of cinder blocks as blackmail to get his shot was aces, too.

Continuity, new talent getting prime spots and razor-sharp booking to set up an entire PPV in one episode.

Who are you and what have you done with the creative team?

Apparently they returned to book Neville vs. Dallas.

Yeah it's cool Cena showed some ass for Owens there, but I was...much less enthused about Owens' mic work than everyone else so far...

And I'm glad Dean gets a one-on-one with Seth, but did we really need the obligatory Wyatt job first? Has anyone ever been fed so many wins to so little effect before? I mean Wyatt loses to John Cena, Taker at Mania, and no one else ever. Has anyone ever been so protected just so they can wander aimlessly through the midcard?

• Like 1

The most over tag team tonight? THE PRIME TIME PLAYERS. Seriously, these guys need to get the straps this year. WWE, for some reason, didn't want to put it on Harper/Rowan when those two were part of great matches with The Usos and hopefully the same type of treatment isn't given to PTP as they actually have tons of good teams to work with in TBRC, Diego & Fernando, Lucha Dragons, and New Day.

Man, I heard about Owens/Cena. That's what will get me to watch the first PPV live since I quit on the Rumble. I was hoping for that match at the NXT PPV, but instead I get Zayn/Owens there and Cena/Owens two weeks later. YEAH THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO SEE.

Saw clips of the Owens stuff online and I'm more hype than a Williams music video or Mojo Rawley. YESSSSSSS

• Like 1

Awesome to see Kevin Steen on Raw and fucking laying out John Cena. I would be so much more excited for Ambrose/Rollins, but the Authority segments are such a fucking drain. I believe you count the amount of time Stephanie is around in dog years. The trick to get rid of her is probably just a dog whistle.

Booker T chuckling when Rusev came out and saying 'somebody gonna die' was the best.

Unfortunately everything else in that segment was horrific. At least Ziggler gets to go back to his usual gimmick of 'my valet is way more over than I am'.

Owens was good. The crowd had no idea who he was and he got himself over. That EC match should be something.

• Like 1

My fantasy booking scenario for this summer includes Seth/HHH at SummerSlam, a Shield reunion, and ultimately HHH bringing back Brock to murder Seth. Somehow heel Reigns gets the title and they build properly to Brock vs Reigns II at Mania with Reigns as the heel.

much less enthused about Owens' mic work than everyone else so far...

I thought he was really bad on the mic too. Its too bad they do not have managers anymore, because guys like Seth and Owens could use them.

In NXT are they allowed to go off bullet points compared to RAW where every words has to be scripted. That could be the problem right there.

RAW was mostly great tonight. I'm just still trying to wrap my head around the randomness of Lana and Ziggler. It just made no sense what so ever. Yeah yeah I know it's the WWE. Logic and reason have no place there to begin with. Meh...I'm just giddy at the prospect of Owens murdering Cena.

Owens is legit great on the mic and doesn't need a manager even remotely. Buncha wrong opinions up in this thread. 

• Like 13

Yeah, Owens was going for the whole "unimpressed and emotionally detached" thing, but even with that you need a certain level of delivery, charisma, and timing, and Owens was 0-3 in that regard. I mean Cena was basically right; Owens came off like an amateur who had no business being in the ring with him. Fortunately Cena redeemed him a bit by selling his powerbomb like death.

• Like 1