DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

He missed a chunk of the season though.  I think I would vote for Draymond for DPOY, but Kawhi is the best defender in the league.

In a year or two Rudy Gobert will be in the conversation. . . 

Kawhi Leonard is the last person in the NBA I want to see guard me in a seven game series.  That mofo is scary on that end.

It must be frustrating as hell to be hounded by him.  Jesus, him and prime Tony Allen on the same team...

Not sure who I would vote for yet at DPOY. Might as well take a look now. My guess would be Anthony Davis wins defensive player of the year. He has the impact and it would make a good consultation prize if he doesn't win MVP. Rarely even hear his name in that conversation. His PER for the season is currently 11th best in league history. Most of the guys mentioned in here are good candidates. Problem though is they all have another top 20 defender on their team. That shouldn't disqualify them but it should be taken into consideration at least. You have Bogut with Green. Bogut is leading the league in DBPM for the season straight season. Leonard has Duncan. Duncan is 4th in the league in DBPM and 4th in DWS. Duncan is also tied for 6th in blocks. Marc Gasol deserves consideration as well. Tony Allen shows up in some top 20s as well though obviously. Gobert and Favors have both been in the top 10 for nba's defensive impact rating. Which is great for Jazz fans considering their ages. The players that show up in a lot of categories alone in no particular order:

Nerlens Noel- 3rd in DBPM, tied for 4th in DWS, 6th in blocks, 9th in steals. Obviously no one is voting for him for DPOY. Sixers team record is too awful to even consider him. Top 10 in all of those categories deserves mention at least.

DeAndre Jordan- Tied for 1st with Green in DWS. 11th in DBPM, 1st in defensive rebounds, 4th in blocks. Chris Paul is still out there getting steals. No one stops the best point guards consistently though.

Anthony Davis- 1st in blocks, just outside the top 20 in steals, 15th in DWS, 17th in DBPM, 8th in defensive rebounds. I thought Asik would have had a larger impact than he has had this year. Anthony Davis and Asik are the only 2 starters on the team that aren't in the negatives for DBPM. Somehow they still manage to find themselves in the hunt for a Western conference playoff spot. That is unbelievable. Voters still seem to favor traditional stats so he is in a strong position.

Paul Millsap- Tied for 16th in DBPM, tied for 6th in DWS, tied for 9th in steals. Pretty much the same as last year.

DeMarcus Cousins- 10th in blocks, 11th in DBPM, 2nd in defensive rebounds. Could even be higher if he decided to stop crying to the refs after every offensive possession. Man his offensive numbers are ugly. 104 offensive rating placing him 28th in the league among centers and PF/C. If he fixes that terrible shot selection and cuts back on the turnovers his impact on the Kings' record could be the same as Davis on NO.

Andre Drummond- Tied for 6th in DWS, tied for 10th in blocks, 4th in blocks. It is impressive how he has gotten his shooting percentage up to 50% this year. It was in the DeMarcus Cousins range for some of the season. Cousins at least has the poor shot selection to blame. Still though 50% is a big drop from last season's 60%.

Honorable mentions to Serge Ibaka. Only shows up in blocks this year but I think we can see that team could have a historically bad defense without him. I didn't mention them up top but Noah, Butler and Pau Gasol all make a good showing. John Wall and Gortat as well. John Wall especially since he is tied for 6th in DWS at a position that is difficult to get good grades.

Right now my top 5 leans towards:

1. Andrew Bogut- I could change this by the end of the season. Players shooting percentage drop by over 16% from 6 ft.and in when he guards them. Defensive floor general for the best team in the league.

2. Draymond Green-  Coincidentally him and Bogut both drop their opponents overall FG% by 7.1%. Reason I said I might change my mind on Bogut is he has just as much of a case. Plus I could count the 12 missed games against Bogut. I was not expecting to have them 1 and 2.

3. DeAndre Jordan- Has all the traditional numbers plus the advanced ones. The Clippers are 2nd in the league in opponents +/-. 3rd in the league in opponents points in the paint average. My only hesitation is the concern over late game situations due to the FT and the need to substitute more as a result. I was expecting to have him 1st.

4. Anthony Davis- Has to cover more ground than the guys above him. Him and Asik being the only ones not in the negatives in DBPM shows the extra load he has to carry. Even Asik is low at .6. I think voters still favor traditional stats which is why I guessed he would win at the start.

5. Kawhi Leonard- He makes the top 5 for being a late game clutch stopper. He trails Duncan in DBPM, DWS, and opponents FG% differential. His is at -1.4%, way behind Green, and Duncan is at -3.4%. Duncan has his minutes managed but he still isn't performing that far off from his peak per 36 minutes. Tied for 7th in blocks per 36, 10th in rebounds per 36. Maybe I made the wrong choice here. I'll have to think about it more.

• Like 1

So... last night was kind of interesting...

Pacers F Chris Copeland and his date were stabbed at a nightclub in New York.  He also apparently has a fractured elbow that may have resulted from the incident.

Also, it seems he was partying with Thabo Sefalosha and Pero Antic of the Hawks.  Because THEY were both arrested for Obstruction, and failing to allow the police to set up a crime scene, among several other charges.  

Some nitwit asked Vogel if this was a shock. I wish he had replied "No, I fully expect my players to get stabbed in a nightclub at 4am."

Alright I have finally reached my breaking point. It is the 4th quarter and the Wizards are shooting 71% from the field for the game. I am done with this for the season. Ready for the playoffs and could use a break.

And the Nets are fucked. Atlanta goes balls to the wall because they own Nets pick, I just hope they get Indiana or Miami and get knocked out in the first round.

Another double digit win for the Spurs.

Another MVP candidate comes out on fire and gets cooled off. Harden has 13 in the 1st. 9 the rest of the game.

The Friday game is going to be huge and can mean the difference between 2 rounds of home court advantage or no home court.

Man, it looks like Thabo broke his ankle when he got arrested and is out for the rest of the year.  With him gone and injuries to Milsap and Schroeder things are not breaking the Hawks' way at all.

I'll be really curious to hear how the fuck he broke his ankle, too.

It happened during the arrest according to several sources.

I cannot remember who it was that said it on this board, but it's not the playoffs until Lebron sweeps the Hawks out.  

Looks like we're right on track for that.