DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Manny's not that good on the mic, but guys like Ron Garvin or even Magnum at times are significantly worse to the point that Manny doesn't even make me cringe when he talks, at least during this watch-through. 

I'm at the point where they stuck Mannywith Valiant, who I cannot fucking stand on the mic (though I'm not saying that Valiant is ineffective; I just really hate everything about his act), so by that time, I was ready to hear him talk some more. 

On another note, Dusty Rhodes is the Poochiest Poochy to ever Poochy up a show in '85-'86 right up until HHH's Reign of Terror in '02-'03. My goodness, when Dusty's not out there, people are talking about what Dusty is doing or asking "Where's Dusty?" I watched '88 awhile ago and don't remember it being this bad. Hell, I enjoyed the Midnight Rider stuff...the James Boys stuff, not quite so much. 

Whoa, the Midnight Rider shit was the epitome of Dusty's ego.  Those few weeks it existed literally every promo was required to mention him.  It would be like if Kevin Owens was in JCP, you'd have probably constantly heard about what a badass HHH was. That's how bad it was.

Manny's not that good on the mic, but guys like Ron Garvin or even Magnum at times are significantly worse to the point that Manny doesn't even make me cringe when he talks, at least during this watch-through. 

I'm at the point where they stuck Mannywith Valiant, who I cannot fucking stand on the mic (though I'm not saying that Valiant is ineffective; I just really hate everything about his act), so by that time, I was ready to hear him talk some more. 

On another note, Dusty Rhodes is the Poochiest Poochy to ever Poochy up a show in '85-'86 right up until HHH's Reign of Terror in '02-'03. My goodness, when Dusty's not out there, people are talking about what Dusty is doing or asking "Where's Dusty?" I watched '88 awhile ago and don't remember it being this bad. Hell, I enjoyed the Midnight Rider stuff...the James Boys stuff, not quite so much. 

Whoa, the Midnight Rider shit was the epitome of Dusty's ego.  Those few weeks it existed literally every promo was required to mention him.  It would be like if Kevin Owens was in JCP, you'd have probably constantly heard about what a badass HHH was. That's how bad it was.

Those Midnight Rider promos by the fire are the best.

Wish we could get some more 1990 USWA. It's so deliciously trashy-looking. And that way overweight heel manager with the bad teeth who inserts himself into color commentary is awesome. He makes really lazy jokes of the "your fans are stupid" sort, but somehow it works. 

I was bummed when I jumped to the next ep only to find he'd been replaced by Percy Pringle. Percy's a lot nicer to listen to and even look at, but he's not as fun.

Went back and watched WMXV, and had forgotten how bad Gorilla Monsoon looked when he was a ringside judge for Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn. This had to have been a few months before his death. 

Yeah, he'd lost a shit ton of weight. He was looking bad. In that same vein, Fuji looked awful at his HOF induction. I know he was 70 or so at the time but I thought he looked like he was gonna go tits up at any point. He's still hanging around though.

Thoughts on WrestleMania XII

This show really got changed around. We were supposed to get Vader vs. Yokozuna, and a Miami Street Fight between Razor Ramon and Goldust.

Even though Steve Austin beat Savio Vega by using the Million Dollar Belt, it was clear that Austin didn't need DiBiase at all, and that partnership would end shortly.

The tag team title was really an afterthought here, as the Bodydonnas' win over the Godwinns in the tournament final was relegated to the Free for All match.

Yoko was supposed to get 5 minutes with Jim Cornette if his team won, but they lost. Usually, the babyface gets his five minutes with the manager and then someone else attacks him to save the manager.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley got crushed by the Ultimate Warrior but immediately started a feud with Marc Mero, which took away some of the attention from his quick defeat. Sable was mentioned several times during her debut, and she was also present for the Mero-Hunter brawl, so it was clear that she was not just Hunter's weekly arm candy.

Diesel looked very good against the Undertaker, hitting two jackknife powerbombs and losing due to his own cockiness.

Piper and Goldust had a very dangerous looking brawl. Piper seemed to have hurt his hand while bashing the car window, because it was bandaged when he arrived at the arena. Also, Piper looked like he could have been seriously hurt by riding on the hood of Goldust's car, but in retrospect that may have been a stuntman.

It was hilarious how far the WWF went to get the OJ Simpson video footage joke. They made sure we saw that Piper was getting into a white Ford Bronco, and we could hear police sirens when Piper called Vince on the phone (twice) while chasing Goldust.

The Iron Man match doesn't get enough love. Bret and Shawn didn't go crazy for 60 minutes, but they kept up a very good pace, so the match shouldn't be considered RestHoldMania. Shawn gets the slight edge for the MVP award thanks to his jaw-dropping zip-line entrance from the top of the arena.

It seemed like a match built on convenience, Yoko's weight was out of control, Vader was coming back from surgery, Owen, Bulldog and Ahmed were too high profile to be left off the card, and they had to clear a huge chunk of time for the Ironman. Im guessing if the singles match had happened those other guys just would have had the night off.