DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Never knew that Bret went backstage at a WWF show after the screwjob. That must have been an awkward environment.

Yeah, they were in the Saddledome. I just looked it up in his book and it was the 4/17/98 show. I guess at that point HBK was gone. HHH still had some power but clearly wasn't in the position he was before that and this was pre-Stephanie. He said he mainly went to say hi to Owen and a few of his other guys like Shamrock, Austin and Foley.

• Like 1

Never knew that Bret went backstage at a WWF show after the screwjob. That must have been an awkward environment.

Yeah, they were in the Saddledome. I just looked it up in his book and it was the 4/17/98 show. I guess at that point HBK was gone. HHH still had some power but clearly wasn't in the position he was before that and this was pre-Stephanie. He said he mainly went to say hi to Owen and a few of his other guys like Shamrock, Austin and Foley.

Also the first I'm hearing of this! Very interesting. I can't find anything on the WWF running there between IYH Canadian Stampede and a Raw in 2001. I wonder if he's got the date or building wrong. I wanted to find out who was on the card

Also the first I'm hearing of this! Very interesting. I can't find anything on the WWF running there between IYH Canadian Stampede and a Raw in 2001. I wonder if he's got the date or building wrong. I wanted to find out who was on the card

Sorry, I mistyped. It was 4/17/1999. According to http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/99.htm this was the card

WWF @ Calgary, Alberta - Saddledome - April 17, 1999 (15,419; sell out)

Tori defeated Jackie and Ivory

D-Lo Brown defeated Al Snow

The Acolytes defeated Skull & 8-Ball

WWF Hardcore Champion Bob Holly defeated Val Venis

Ken Shamrock defeated the Undertaker via disqualification

Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett defeated Billy Gunn & the Road Dogg and Edge & Christian

WWF IC Champion the Godfather defeated Tiger Ali Singh

Mankind defeated Goldust

WWF Tag Team Champions X-Pac & Kane defeated Triple H & Test

WWF World Champion Steve Austin & the Big Show defeated the Rock & the Big Bossman

• Like 1

Another tidbit about that, Bret said that when he was backstage he noticed a newly divorced Austin flirting with a black haired woman. Bret didn't recognize her at first but once he got a good look at her, he realized it was his sister Diana. Apparently this was during the time when Davy was laid up in the hospital with a staph infection in his back.

• Like 1

Thanks dude. Pretty much everyone I had expected, but I still imagine it was, as Nature Boy said, pretty awkward.

On another note, I'm working through 1996 Raws and PPVs on the Network so I can catch up to where I am with Nitro and start 1997 watching both simultaneously, and I gotta say: I just watched the Mankind/Taker 1996 KOTR match for the first time in a long time and It's even better than I remembered. I mean, just really good, physical stuff from both guys-- not to take anything away from their later gimmick matches, obviously the  HIAC chief among them, but I just really forgot how good they were in a straight up singles match.

EDIT: Oh jeez, thats so damn weird about Diana. I was just watching the Michaels/Bulldog match last night, where the angle was "allegations" against Michaels of being "a womanizer." I mean, even 4th grade me thought "hey is this a rape angle?" Didn't Bulldog later hook up with one of the brothers' ex-wives shortly before he died? I mean, he was dead a year after the Saddledome show so I'm wondering how close this was to that

Thanks dude. Pretty much everyone I had expected, but I still imagine it was, as Nature Boy said, pretty awkward.

On another note, I'm working through 1996 Raws and PPVs on the Network so I can catch up to where I am with Nitro and start 1997 watching both simultaneously, and I gotta say: I just watched the Mankind/Taker 1996 KOTR match for the first time in a long time and It's even better than I remembered. I mean, just really good, physical stuff from both guys-- not to take anything away from their later gimmick matches, obviously the  HIAC chief among them, but I just really forgot how good they were in a straight up singles match.

I don't recall Foley/Taker having any real stinkers at all. The worst match I can remember them having was Survivor Series 1996 and it wasn't even bad or anything, just a tad lackluster with an ending that kinda came out of nowhere.

I'm at the point where Chyna first shows up (attacking Marlena, getting in Bret's face in Germany) and I actually pop big for her whenever she shows up. I forgot how much I enjoyed her in that enforcer role. Actually, I also liked her as the strong, powerful modern woman after she turned face down the road - in some ways, she was the prototypical modern WWE Diva because they always go on about being strong females, and I feel like Chyna's the first woman in the company to talk like that. They over-extended her and did her no favors by putting the IC title on her or feuding her with Jericho when Jericho was hot, and she wasn't very good in-ring, but on the other hand, she has that Jarrett feud which was really fun (probably the best thing I've ever seen Jarrett do in his career from Memphis up through TNA) and has good charisma and a great look for pro wrestling.

Yeah, watching some of those old shows, it's easy to forget how insanely over she was. The problem became that she outgrew the enforcer role in her own mind and probably in terms of what they could do with her creatively. This was even before Triple H left her for Stephanie.

They should have kept her wrestling as a novelty thing against the right opponent (like a Jarrett or an opening match type guy).

Watched Living Dangerously 2000 through the end of the first match. Sinister Minister refers to Raven's "gimmick." Corino talks about something being more than an "angle." Slut shaming. Sandman no-selling a piledriver. Violence against women. The finish to the opener was blown because Dusty and the referee don't know how to use tape.

Not sure what I expected.

Re-watching RAW going into WM 13, and I'm feeling like I'm going to be spouting revisionist history on this show once it's over. RAW is really good. I just wish they put Dreamer/Lawler or Taz/Lawler on the card as well. 

Re-watching RAW going into WM 13, and I'm feeling like I'm going to be spouting revisionist history on this show once it's over. RAW is really good. I just wish they put Dreamer/Lawler or Taz/Lawler on the card as well. 

Trust me, once you watch Sultan/Rocky, Sid/Taker and that mess of a 4-way tag match you won't. Austin/Bret is obviously awesome. The streetfight is chaotic fun I guess. Hunter/Goldust and Mankind/Vader vs. Owen/Bulldog are passable but that's about it. All of that would be perfectly acceptable for an IYH ppv but not for a WM.

'97 WWF was really friggin' good.

1997 WWF has some of the greatest shows and moments Vince and company ever produced.

That being said, my God, as amazing as a lot of it was, you have to wallow through a LOT of awfulness to get to it.  For every piece of gold, there's about two-three segments of horrible outdated shit you gotta sit through.

I think it's awesome from the top. Really, WWF TV is very good (with some hiccups, but they're trying to find their way, so I can live with them) from late '96 on. Once Bret gets back and Sid gets way over, there is actual intrigue in the upper card. Plus, the Owen/Bulldog split-up tease is great because they telegraph Bulldog turning face after Owen finally turns on him, but instead they throw an actual good swerve at things by having Bret come in and re-unify them. 

It also helps to watch it with hindsight. Watching Rocky Maivia develop, for example, is a lot more fun when you know he's going to be one of the three biggest stars the company has ever had. That wasn't possible in 1997. 

I think it's awesome from the top. Really, WWF TV is very good (with some hiccups, but they're trying to find their way, so I can live with them) from late '96 on. Once Bret gets back and Sid gets way over, there is actual intrigue in the upper card. Plus, the Owen/Bulldog split-up tease is great because they telegraph Bulldog turning face after Owen finally turns on him, but instead they throw an actual good swerve at things by having Bret come in and re-unify them. 

It also helps to watch it with hindsight. Watching Rocky Maivia develop, for example, is a lot more fun when you know he's going to be one of the three biggest stars the company has ever had. That wasn't possible in 1997. 

Watching 1996-1997 is a lot of fun in hindsight because you get to see the development of Triple H and Rock and the rise of Austin and Foley. There was no way of knowing that we were watching the seeds of the next boom period right in front of us.

They're finally starting to upload the rest of Hardcore TV. Granted, it's not like when the '97-'98 Nitro's went up in bulk, it's at least a start.

*edit*

They've put up more late '96 eps and are into '97. I can't wait till the Rude and Lawler stuff comes up. A lot of great stuff there.

Well, not so much live stuff. But, if I'm watching something from the library, say Nitro or Hardcore TV, it'll reset back five seconds or jump-cut. Maybe it's an upload problem on their end, or maybe not. This is on PS3 by the way, I hardly ever use my phone app.

Very enjoyable interview that flew by. Bischoff was a great guest to have as someone that hasn't been featured much in WWE projects in years. Love the format, like having another podcast on the Network to go along with the occasional Austin and Jericho shows.

Also love the Table for 3 show. The first two were highly enjoyable, especially last week with New Day. Now they've got some real interesting pairings coming up starting with Madusa, Ivory, and Molly Holly this week, that should be real cool and different with people we don't usually see/hear much from.