DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I would agree with those ranks, but I'd switch Sasha and Becky.  Sasha's more the complete package in terms of wrestling and character.  Out of the three that are on WWE tv now, she's seems to have transitioned the best so far.  While Becky's wrestling is great, she still hasn't established that character yet. 

• Like 1

I love Sasha and think she should be pushed heavily, but there are still times when you can see her missing a beat in the ring. Not many mind you, but she's just not as smooth and polished as Becky whose gimmick is mostly "good wrestler." I think it's also fair to say that Sasha not just got out of Charlotte's shadow, but actually turned the tables on Charlotte largely on the back of Becky Lynch.

The Paige vs Summer Rae argument is interesting.  Paige is the better wrestler, but she can be sloppy and is irritating with her persona.  Becoming a Reality TV star has done her zero favors.  Her in-ring character is lacking other than British goth girl.

Summer Rae is a passable wrestler from what I've seen.  Where she shines is with promo work and overall presentation.  Most others would sink like a rock with the Lana/Rusev saga, but Summer has found a way to not only hold her spot, but thrive a bit--a good indicator of being able to work with whatever she's given.

Personally, I like Summer better.

• Like 1

Bayley had a good match with Dana Brooke so I think she is a little above" overrated, but can still have good matches with good opponents." This current run to the title is going to be Bayley's breakout run that elevates her in the conversation for the top spot imo. I really can't agree with Becky over Sasha unless we're talking in ring only, and even then Sasha was the best wrestler in their match.

To be fair, Bayley has the least need to have as good matches as Sasha/Becky, etc. Unless WWE bookers really cock the whole thing up, she's gonna get over huge. She'll be the new Lita to all the little girls in the crowd.

I love Sasha and think she should be pushed heavily, but there are still times when you can see her missing a beat in the ring. Not many mind you, but she's just not as smooth and polished as Becky whose gimmick is mostly "good wrestler." I think it's also fair to say that Sasha not just got out of Charlotte's shadow, but actually turned the tables on Charlotte largely on the back of Becky Lynch.

Or you could say Becky revived her career off the back of Sasha Banks. Works both ways but both women are fantastic and the clear top 2 imo. As an all around act Sasha by a mile though. Her in ring charisma is second to none, and she carries herself like a star in a way that very few people in the whole company do.

Becky doesn't have that ring presence like Sasha, though. Sasha's shit-talking (yes, I rate "shit-talking" as an important attribute in-ring) for example is Mark Henry-level stuff. She has stuff like that rope-to-rope slap that just sum up her character so well. Lynch doesn't have that sort of mojo. IMO, stuff like that is a big reason that most people would say that Ric Flair is a better worker than Finlay. Flair does stuff in the ring where it feels like you get him as a character and why he does what he does in the ring in a way that doesn't click for lots of other wrestlers. Sasha is the same way; she has that extra element of having her character come through so well through her ring-work on another level from Becky Lynch.

Yes, I know I just compared Sasha Banks to Ric Flair. Sorry for the sacrilege.

It's ok I like Flair well enough. I think Becky needed a little more time in NXT. They don't seem to be all that concerned about giving the main roster audience a reason to care about her. Charlotte is the only one that needed brought up. Sasha could've been brought up after she lost the belt.

• Like 1

To be fair, Bayley has the least need to have as good matches as Sasha/Becky, etc. Unless WWE bookers really cock the whole thing up, she's gonna get over huge. She'll be the new Lita to all the little girls in the crowd.

I think you're selling Bayley short. I think she's gonna move John Cena-like numbers of merchandise on the main roster

There was a time when Lita was like the third most over person on the roster when  they had the hottest crowds they've ever had. I wonder how over a Bayley, Bryan, and Zayn stable would be. Have Bryan work tags so Zayn takes all the damage, let Bryan hit his spots, and have Bayley giving out hugs at ringside. Most likeable stable ever.

• Like 1

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to ship Zayn and Bayley when they hit the main roster. They'll be like the new-age nerd version of Savage and Elizabeth. DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Also when they have their kayfabe marriage, Owens should hide a venomous snake in a wrapped present just for old times' sake. 

• Like 5

It's ok I like Flair well enough. I think Becky needed a little more time in NXT. They don't seem to be all that concerned about giving the main roster audience a reason to care about her. Charlotte is the only one that needed brought up. Sasha could've been brought up after she lost the belt.

I said the other day that Sasha was more like Ric Flair than Charlotte is.  She can talk scores of people into the building, she's a #BumpMachine and can make her opponent look like a million bucks, plus she does those little things that other wrestlers don't think about.  It's interesting that the bulk of people's opinions of Sasha are so high already.  She's the first American female wrestler I can remember thinking that she wouldn't be out of place against the best Japanese female wrestler.

aa9rPQc.gif

On Bayley, her athleticism (or lack thereof) is a point against her.  Totally outweighing that, she's got uber babyface written all over her.  If there was a female Daniel Bryan, character wise, she has the best chance.

9. Carmella - Easily the worst of the women with regular tv time. Not much improvement with her character or ring work. Gets booed while paired with Enzo...

Actually, Carmella's been getting face pops since she picked Enzo and Big Cass over Blake and Murphy.

Cheerleader Melissa?

I will admit that I haven't seen as much of Cheerleader Melissa as other people here, but isn't she more of a brawler?  I also remember she fell into the same trap that catches a lot of American wrestlers when they go to Japan.  They think they have to make these big loud gestures to get over, especially the heels, instead of doing what works here with a few tweaks.

Did not see Dash/Wilder upset coming, but I enjoyed that match. Big Cass is my favorite hot tag in the company right now. 

Jesse Sorensen sighting! Glad to see him looking well. I'm on board for Corbin beating Bálor for the gold. The reaction of the NXT crowd would be hilarious alone. 

Tyler Breeze is locked into that character right now. He's awesome in these skits.

The jobbers in the Jordan/Gable tag match were actually pretty entertaining with their goofy personalities. Jordan is a heck of an athlete. 

I am now officially on the Baron Corbin (2018), Chad Gable (2019), and Colin Cassidy (2020) for WWE Champion bandwagons. 

I find that Dana Brooke becoming more comfortable week by week, especially in her character, is one of the more fun things to watch develop in NXT right now.

Bull Dempsey's pouty-face when his stick came loose from the rest of the sucker as he tried to open it had me going. These "Bull is Fat" skits are so terrible that they come right back around to at least somewhat amusing. Also, cute way to co-opt any "Bull (shit)!" chants there with his new catchphrase.

Charlotte is best when she's fired up and talking smack and striking people. She's not a good base, which they try to use her as too much since she's the biggest of the girls, and her high-end stuff isn't very good, but I could watch her throw strikes or try to bash someone's head into the mat all day. Dana yelling "YOU WANNA POSE FOR TAP OUT?! WELL TAP OUT NOW SISTER" was pretty great and she's doing solid basic heel work ring wise, which is good enough at this point. I think she'll be really good in time. This match wasn't what I would call good, but I really enjoyed the parts more than I did the sum. 

Gonna miss Owens in NXT. *sniff*

Tag match was what it was. Inoffensive television. I'm going against the grain here, but I don't think Alexa Bliss adds that much to Blake and Murphy on the outside, cool assisted Sparkle Splash from last week aside. She needs to turn up the snotty cheerleader vibes. They talk about her on commentary like Sunny circa-1996 - a gold-chasing opportunist who only wants to be with winners - but she really isn't there in terms of her characterization. They tried there with her slapping the chivalrous Vaudevillain gents, and I think she showed that she CAN be that way in that moment, but she needs to act like that more consistently. 

I liked pretty much everything this week. The main event was really good, and Bliss should've erased any doubts about her being a great heel(well I guess not after reading Smelly's comments lol)l. She's definitely going to be a star. Nice showing from the Mechanics, and another strong showing by Jordan and Gable. Chad Gable is a future NXT champ. Charlotte/Dana wasn't half bad I can see Dana being pretty good in a year. She certainly looks better than Eva Marie in the ring. Look out Sasha because Eva is coming for you. lol

Bull Dempsey's pouty-face when his stick came loose from the rest of the sucker as he tried to open it had me going. These "Bull is Fat" skits are so terrible that they come right back around to at least somewhat amusing. Also, cute way to co-opt any "Bull (shit)!" chants there with his new catchphrase.

They could have done that by just changing his music to something where "BULL!" want repeatedly chanted with space to fill afterwards.