DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: VICKIE GUERRERO

RIPPA

One year ago today, I started the WOTD with Eddie Guerrero (Since then it was the 8th anniversary of this death. Now it is obviously 9)

Doing Vickie today allows me to continue a tradition and experiment a little. If I am alive in a year I can do another Guerrero..

God her final segment was stupid but I still remember how much it showed how all the other women LOVED her. I mean Steph taking the mud bath and Layla taking the fucking crazy ass pool bump.

• Like 1

Vickie was great. I'm really not sure how she managed it but I went to a UK Smackdown taping that opened with her, in the wheelchair, in the middle of the ring and there was about 4 minutes of solid booing and she would start her sentences and cut them off abruptly to keep the heat building. Then, she'd snap with the huge "EXCUSE ME!" and the place went up another notch. She got it, man.

Everything Edge & Vickie did was solid gold.  

The way I described her to my guy at the time was she is everyone's bitch substitute teacher.  No one likes her and she gives zero fucks what you think of her. Lord was she great at what she did. 

Doing Vickie today allows me to continue a tradition and experiment a little. If I am alive in a year I can do another Guerrero..

Damn, we should've done Mando this year.  Oh, well,  Vickie it is.

Here she is honoring her late husband, EDDIE~!, by murdering someone with a top rope splash.  

]

It wasn't a Frog Splash by any means, but the love was still there.

• Like 2

What the fuck is that ref doing not counting the three right away. 

He checks the shoulders and then stops when Vickie's leg hook pulls her shoulder off of the map.

The ref makes the right call.

Besides, Big Ass Vickie hit her from the top rope.  You could've counted to five King King Bundy style.

I actively hated Vickie being on TV for a long time.  Using the widow of a beloved prematurely-dead wrestler, especially one who'd died of your Standard Roided-Wrestler Heart Attack, as a heel character seemed like such an unforgivably sleazy promoter tactic that even Fritz Von Erich would have been ashamed to do it.  Especially around that time when Undertaker was repeatedly beating her up: seriously, how could anyone justify a big tough babyface who was kicking the living shit out of a crippled helpless widow in a wheelchair?  The excuse was that Vince gave her this job to make sure Eddie's family was taken care of, but he could've paid her the exact same amount of money to just stay home and raise the kids, rather than exploiting her to make a dollar and forcing her to endure the WWE's hideously exhausting road schedule.  

But after a year or two, I finally warmed up to her.  She got over her amateur greenness and did indeed Get It, like Domino said.  She was a heat magnet like no other (although she still did reveal wrestling's misogyny in a rather uncomfortable light, considering how often this ordinary-looking woman was portrayed by the company as if she looked like Jabba the Hutt and the fans totally bought into it).  I still mark out for her doing the goddamn Frog Splash in that one Mania match; no matter how clumsy it looked, that's an unbelievable spot for a forty-year-old chubby untrained inexperienced woman to try.  

• Like 1

Damn, we should've done Mando this year.  Oh, well,  Vickie it is.

Here she is honoring her late husband, EDDIE~!, by murdering someone with a top rope splash.  

]

It wasn't a Frog Splash by any means, but the love was still there.

Probably my favorite Vickie moment ever. I love that for an instant the crowd pops for her like a babyface.

Yeah, the frog splash was tremendous.  It was kind of ruined by the 2 count, but it was still a heartwarming moment when she was in the middle of quite the heelish run.  I wish a wrestler could get the hatred she consistently got because it ruled. And it was so darn sweet seeing her pay tribute on her way out from the mud match.  I had the same opinions as Jingus had, but I ended up being a big fan of Vickie.  The "Excuse me!" line will forever be awesome.

Yeah, Vickie's start was incredibly awkward.  I mean, it took a lot of balls to take a widow and turn her heel.  I always had it in the back of my head that Vickie was turned heel because Vince was mad at Martha Hart so he'd have Vickie on TV to demean her by proxy.  But to be honest, the whole Rey Misterio tries to win the title as a tribute to Eddie was fucked up on many levels.

But man, at some point, Vickie flipped the switch and became an awesome heel.  She was part Miss Georgia Haas, part Margret Dumont, part Sister Mary Elephant.  Some of the heat she'd get just being out there, was great.  I remember one Raw where they did Dolph vs. Cena and the crowd was so rabid booing her when she was trying to talk on the mic.  I mean, they did some mean shit, but I think she had the right attitude and played the heel so well, a lot of times, it almost made some of the nasty things they said about her almost justified because she did such awful things you wanted to see her get hers.

I did love that time when she was queen vickie and was doing the royal wave to people.  I also got a chuckle out of her tweet when she was in a public speaking class and they asked her what the most people was she spoke in front of and I think her answer was 80,000.

Vickie will always have a spot in my heart. She loses her husband and had young kids she had to support with him gone. She took the charity gig that Vince handed her and fucking MADE it into something. That was a mom and a grieving widow who kicked it into over drive to take care of her family.

• Like 2

I went to WMXXVI. The frog splash was one of the highlights for sure, but that pin afterwards... I remember turning to the people sitting beside me (my best friend left for the merch stand) and I just asked "this is really happening, isn't it." shout out to kelly kelly for botching getting pinned.

That's all I really have to add. Vickie's the best.