DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

In DoFP, did Magneto say that JFK was a mutant?  Was that supposed to be a laugh line, because that was the reaction in my theater.  (well, more of a WTF chuckle than a laugh)

I presumed it was a gag. Otherwise, what would mutant power have been? Shagging?

Having just seen DoFP, I'm finally looking around the net to see what's been said about it.  I totally accepted the idea that using Mystique's DNA would help the Sentinels become adaptive.  It didn't occur to me that it really should have been Rogue.  I guess they did originally plan on Rogue and/or they had a deal where Rogue would take Kitty's powers so Rogue could keep Logan timewarped after Kitty passed out.  That also would have necessitated some of the future X-Men springing Rogue from a prison or something.  Might have been fun, but I can see why they decided to keep things from getting too complex.

Also, it took Logan several days in 1973 to get things straightened out, right?  But that was just a few hours in 2023, as far as I could tell.  I guess that's just a timey wimey thing?

It's from Doctor Who. It's how the Tenth Doctor tried to explain that time is not like a straight line but more like a wibbly wobbly timey wimey ball. It's also basically become the catch all explanation to basically ignore why something involving time travel doesn't make sense. You see it's wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

• Like 1

Finally saw DoFP today, very glad I managed not to have the ending spoiled (I did have the stinger spoiled, but hearing the chant still made me mark out).  Some of the ages given in 73 feel really off to me, like

Stryker's kid already being eight.

I could quibble about some things (would've liked to see more of Havok and Toad), but this was two solid hours of fun for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Singer showed off the first page of the treatment for X-Men: Apocalypse on his new Instagram today. If everything stays the same, the scene at the end of DoFP will be the opening for Apocalypse, it seems.

I heard something about them being willing to punt on him as director (but not producer) if the scandal kept growing and might threaten box office take.

But given that it broke right before DOFP came out, and it's the most successful X-Movie since Last Stand 7 years ago...  I'm guessing that as long as he's not charged, he's gonna keep the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Sony has officially been thrown into disarray over the ASM franchise.

ASM3 has been bumped to 2018, at which point Andrew Garfield will be staring down the barrel of THIRTY-FIVE. By the time it hits theaters, it will almost be time to recast Peter - and reboot again!

Also, the SINISTER SIX movie that nobody wants was bumped up to November of 2016. I'd guess that's why Drew Goddard had to leave the Daredevil show.

It almost makes you wonder if they're setting up SIX to fail so they can scrap the series and start over.

Sony has officially been thrown into disarray over the ASM franchise.

ASM3 has been bumped to 2018, at which point Andrew Garfield will be staring down the barrel of THIRTY-FIVE. By the time it hits theaters, it will almost be time to recast Peter - and reboot again!

I kinda expected that after Orci threw up the deuces a couple weeks ago.

I'm glad these last two movies have not been good at all. That being said when ASM2 bombed everyone panicked but truthfully nearly every movie this summer has been below expectations so I don't think it was a commentary on ASM as much as movies in general. I wouldn't even say ASM2 bombed its still the sixth highest grossing movie of the year and has done over 200 million domestically. 

Wait, bombed? It made more money worldwide than Captain America: Winter Soldier. It's not that the movies can't make money it's that it was too soon for a reboot and they are not making the kind of money that Sony WANTS them to be making..  It's trending downward.

I don't think there's any "saving" it. If they want it to do the numbers it used to they need to just wait it out but they won't because then the rights return to Marvel.

The idea of a Sinister Six movie always seemed insane to me. I'm as big a Spidey fan as anybody and I had zero interest in that. I can't imagine why anybody would want to see a bunch of criminals origins. It reeks of desperation.

As far as ASM2 goes, I don't want to argue over hit vs bomb but the trends are what are raising a lot of panic. The series is in a clear spiral and after the critical beating this last one took, I can't imagine the next one opening anywhere near as big.

Building to a Spidey vs. the Sinister Six movie makes sense.

A solo Six movie is insanely stupid.

ASM 2 is doing fine internationally.  It definite disappointed at the domestic box office though.  But that matters a lot less now than it did even 5 years ago.

(Also, for the record, worldwide it's made almost 7 million less than Winter Soldier, not more than.  It's made more at just the foreign box office though. Of course, Cap had a reported 170 million budget, while ASM 2 didn't report, but is rumored to be in the 225 range.)

Even so... Winter Soldier is regarded as a huge success which it was. This idea that Spidey is done making money is crazy. I was the first to admit that there was no need for a reboot and that's the biggest problem. However, I don't think anyone needed to see another Tobey movie either. Honestly, Spider-Man 3 is what has hurt the character the most.

• Like 1