DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

I really enjoyed catching X-Men:DOFP tonight.

I probably have more to say when I am not as tired, but I think the film did a good job of blatantly saying "Hey, the Last Stand NEVER Happened. Actually, when you show these movies to your kids down the line, JUST SKIP IT!"

To be honest, I really didn't like it that much either.

My two big bug bears is how Trask not only gets access to the White House. He basically gets laughed out of there by Congress, the next minute, he's in with the Defence Chiefs in the Oval Office just giving advice after the attack in Paris.

Then after the sentinel attack, they let him into the Presidential bunker, even though its quite plausible he's responsible for it, given they're HIS robots? (And when was the last time someone portrayed Nixon without ridiculously exaggerated make up and prosthetics?)

Really didn't like how little mind was paid to how urgent the situation was and how little time was at hand, but they all just bounced around from the US to Paris to London and back again at will, for no real reason. Even after the close call with Wolverine the first time around.

When the whole film is based around stopping someone shooting someone else, and in the first half of the movie, you show someone being quick enough to stop bullets with ease.......why would you leave that guy at home?

When the whole film is based around stopping someone shooting someone else, and in the first half of the movie, you show someone being quick enough to stop bullets with ease.......why would you leave that guy at home?

I've seen that [valid] point brought up and - to my mind anyway - there's a certain logic that Xavier, Wolverine, et al viewed him purely as a teenage thrillseeker (I'm not entirely certain how old he was supposed to be...) and perhaps a bit of a wild card in a situation that was that high stakes.

It's also possible that Xavier, dealing with the loss of Banshee/Darwin/etc. doesn't want to send another teenager into battle?

If it's not in the script, it's not possible. He was fine with sending the kid into the Pentagon to break out Erik and then he needed someone to safely return their rental car. 

It would have been kind of great if instead of rental car they were like 'no more kids' though. 

They basically handled the reboot of this series in the same manner that they did in the new Star Trek movies.  It's basically just an alternate timeline without completely re-starting the franchise.

Shit, does that mean that Age of Apocalypse is gonna end up with Singer ignoring years of established elements and just do 2 hours of cool looking shit that makes no sense?

They basically handled the reboot of this series in the same manner that they did in the new Star Trek movies.  It's basically just an alternate timeline without completely re-starting the franchise.

Shit, does that mean that Age of Apocalypse is gonna end up with Singer ignoring years of established elements and just do 2 hours of cool looking shit that makes no sense?

That sums up the Jim Lee era of X-Men pretty well.

• Like 2

I finally saw DoFP!

It was good for an X-Men movie.  I have no real affection for the X-men, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm even more excited for The Flash this fall though.  Thanks Quicksilver!