DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

This will contain spoilers. Singer avoided my one fear..  that this would be a clusterfuck. I can't believe he pulled it off as smoothly as he did. I loved that this didn't get dragged down by one liners. It had some comedy but knew when to get serious and the audience took it seriously. This had a lot of emotional weight to it. It was quite refreshing. All of the acting was great, Fassbender, Dinklage, loved McAvoy, etc..

Magneto dropping RFK and enclosing the white house and then having the Sentinels guard the perimeter was one of the more creative and intelligent things I've seen in one of these movies. THAT's how to use powers effectively..   Quicksilver, again I can't believe I'm saying this but those scenes with him were so awesome. I hope he'll be in the next one.

I can't wait for Age of Apocalypse. I assume

that was a young Apocalypse constructing the pyramids? Four Horsemen in the background?

Just a great movie overall. I can see now why it's at 91% at RT because it's not just fun but intelligent and somehow to my surprise.. very coherent. It tied up the whole universe real nice. 

One more thing:

Fuck yeah I marked for Cyclops! If you didn't.. just.. go away. Scott is back, Jack!

• Like 1

That was a fine film, and I'm usually able to overlook such things, but the fact that there's really no explanation of how Xavier gets his body back after he hijacks that coma patient really bugs me. I mean, the whole JFK thing seemed superfluous; just gimme one line.

Brett Ratner said it was his TWIN BROTHER. They never bothered telling us he had a twin brother until it was the right time to pull it out of their ass. Much like Xavier's childhood with Mystique was never brought up in three films and we'll probably never know how Bill Duke started life as a white midget.

• Like 3

We are making a huge fucking mistake and inviting my wife's mother down via greyhound so we can watch it tomorrow. It's really more for the fact it's our 5th anniversary today and we haven't been to a movie together since the baby was born two years ago next month. But this opens the door for her to come down this way again since it's the first time she's ever braved the bus and she refuses to drive the 3 hours down since she's afraid of rt. 95. 

If this goes south then I'm putting Big Fresh on ignore.

• Like 3

I just assumed it was all a mental projection. He's still the coma patient, but makes everyone see Xavier.

What a worker. Mental projection 24/7 even when sleeping and in the face of death. Uses a wheelchair so he doesn't break kayfabe.

Maybe he's like Agent 47 and there's a bunch of Xavier clones out there. That'll be the next thing they do when they want to kill him off again. 

• Like 2

We are making a huge fucking mistake and inviting my wife's mother down via greyhound so we can watch it tomorrow. It's really more for the fact it's our 5th anniversary today and we haven't been to a movie together since the baby was born two years ago next month. But this opens the door for her to come down this way again since it's the first time she's ever braved the bus and she refuses to drive the 3 hours down since she's afraid of rt. 95.

If this goes south then I'm putting Big Fresh on ignore.

Matt, you should write a self help book on how to turn every situation in to a win-win.

• Like 1

They pointed out in the movie that

angel

Had died,so i guess we will not get to see HIM as

arkangel

Not THAT Angel. The one they meant was "Tempest", even though they never called her that in the movie. "Angel" was her first name. She was in First Class.

Man, I really can't wait for the rest of you to see this. I wana hear Fowler, Natural, Zeidler, and even FSW's reaction.

Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past yesterday but wanted to get my thoughts together first.

gif_375x170_64d9a6_gif.gif

X-Men Days of Future Past is a great film. Thankfully my only concern about the film thinking it would be a clusterfuck with the original trilogy cast meeting the main First Class lot didn’t happen. The X-Men series has returned to form from X-Men: The Last Stand/X-Men Origins: Wolverine Past thanks to X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Hope the streak continues with X-Men: Apocalypse.

Spoiler thoughts:

I smiled at the return of X2’s main theme.

Has there been an explanation for Professor X surviving what happened in X-Men: The Last Stand, Magneto getting his powers back from X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine getting his adamantium claws back in the future after what occurred in The Wolverine? I haven’t watched the X-Men films before this in a while. I know the first two appeared in the post-credits scene of The Wolverine.

Wasn’t Emma Frost among the dead First Class mutants experimented on in Dr. Bolivar Trask’s folder?

James McAvoy performance as young Professor Xavier was the best in the film.

The way Quicksilver turned out surprised me. The escape sequence of Magneto was one of the film’s highlights, second only to the ending.

I liked how TV coverage in the 1970s was grainy and the aspect ratio changed with the television cameos. Did anyone else spot Bryan Singer’s cameo?

I also liked the nod to Wolverine going through metal detectors in this and previous X-Men films. X-Men, The Wolverine and now this by my count.

My favourite scene was the aforementioned ending with Wolverine waking up in Xavier’s school seeing Iceman/Rogue together Kitty, Storm, Beast (Kelsey Grammer), Jean Grey, Cyclops and Professor Xavier. It was a pleasant surprise seeing the unannounced ones in Beast, Jean Grey and Cyclops. This very feel good sequence amended events in X-Men: The Last Stand with Bryan Singer’s return to the series. I see it as a happy ending/farewell to the original cast minus Wolverine. We don’t see if old Professor Xavier and Magneto became friends ago in this new status quo. I’d like to think so.

I don’t think X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men film on a first viewing. X2 retains its title. I also preferred Captain America: The Winter Soldier to X-Men: Days of Future Past. I’ve only seen them the once at the cinema and I wait to see what a second viewing on DVD does to my opinion of them, if anything.

2014 has produced two great comic book films, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Hope I can add Guardians of the Galaxy and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For to the list. This year can go down as a vintage one for superhero films with the best in 2008 in addition to 2011 and 2012.

Now to catch up on the rest of the thread!

Natty, at the end of The Last Stand we are to assume that Magneto's powers were coming back because the chess piece started to move. I think the whole thing was temporary. Like others have said, Professor X might have been able to transport back in time to his body with the help of Kitty Pryde. You guys are right, they never really explain how but there are ways he could have done it. It was just one of a few things that happened off-panel that I guess we aren't really supposed to think about. Singer had quite a few things to fix with the continuity, I felt he did about the best job you could ask.. 

My question is what happens now?

It looks like the First Class cast is taking over the series which is great but I guess that also means we are going to have a lot of period pieces?

• Like 1

Even The Natural has no hope for TMNT.

I forgot about TMNT, likely for that reason.

Natty, at the end of The Last Stand we are to assume that Magneto's powers were coming back because the chess piece started to move. I think the whole thing was temporary. Like others have said, Professor X might have been able to transport back in time to his body with the help of Kitty Pryde. You guys are right, they never really explain how but there are ways he could have done it. It was just one of a few things that happened off-panel that I guess we aren't really supposed to think about. Singer had quite a few things to fix with the continuity, I felt he did about the best job you could ask..

Thank you. I agree with you that Bryan Singer fixed the continuity best he could. That was a hard trask.

My question is what happens now?

It looks like the First Class cast is taking over the series which is great but I guess that also means we are going to have a lot of period pieces?

That's what I think will happen. I feel the ending to X-Men: Days of Future Past was the happy ending/goodbye to the original trilogy roster, Wolverine excluded. We've had the 1960s with X-Men: First Class and the '70s with X-Men: Days of Future Past. I see the '80s as X-Men: Apocalypse with the First Class cast and maybe a young Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm?

Bonus:

4cG8QLG.gif

• Like 2

I guess what annoys me about the movie is what drove me away from collecting comic books: the stupid time travel and "let's correct the past" retcon stuff. It makes me feel like I wasted my money buying tickets to see all the other movies just because they were in a rush to make money and now they had to correct it to fit some narrative for future movies.  Still think it was a very good movie, but it wasn't a calssic, and it wasn't better than Winter Soldier.  

Just found out that my local drive-in is having a double feature of Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past! I think I'm gonna go tonite just to see if I still feel the same way after seeing them back-to-back.

• Like 1

Just found out that my local drive-in is having a double feature of Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past! I think I'm gonna go tonite just to see if I still feel the same way after seeing them back-to-back.

That's a good deal.

I had zero problem with the lack of explanation for Xavier being alive, and I can't think of any way it would have improved the movie to have a moment where it was explained. This movie took place in a world with people who can throw fucking portals and send minds back in time and super advanced technology that lets you build giant killer robots with adapting bodies. Let's just assume that at some point they found a mutant who could put the molecules of his body back together, or create a duplicate version of him. Or they built a life model decoy with a comfy place for his consciousness. Yadda yadda yadda. It doesn't really matter. Just go with it.

We went to see a Godzilla/ASM 2 double feature at our local drive in last week.  Be prepared to be there until 2AM if you're going to watch both movies.

Looks like I won't be seen DoFP this weekend.  I messed up my heel mowing the lawn yesterday morning and when I tried driving to the theatre this morning I got about 1/2 way there before the pain became unbearable.  Maybe sometime this week.

Saw the movie this morning and really liked it, but I had one nitpick with the after credit scene...

Umm...isn't Apocalypse a lil more "ethnic" looking in every other iteration of him? Seriously he was born in Africa thousands of years ago, what are the odds of him looking like fucking Doogie Howser? Then again Yul Brenner is the darkest person in the 10 Commandments so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Africans just turned black a couple hundred years ago.

In the comics he looked like this...Apocalypse-Desert-X-Men-Days-of-Future-P

In the movie he looked like this...tumblr_lzim8bDovM1qeasfao1_500.jpg

• Like 3