DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Houlte have been announced for Apocolypse. I think the old guard cast is done, except Jackman who will do one more Wolverine movie (which will surely put him head-to-head with Jennifer Lawrence). This really felt like a passing of the torch to the First Class crew.

Haven't seen DOFP yet so feel free to spoil what needs to be spoiled to answer this, but how is the old guard (Stewart, McKellen, etc) "done?" Is the X-Men universe now taking place in the 1970s-ish New Class time? Or does Wolverine bring the New Class into the future/old guard time period of 2010ish?

Still waiting on the post-credit scene analysis from someone, damnit. I know what it's about but i'm so confused at the same time.

I'm not going to explain it (mainly because I couldn't even keep that character's powers straight 15 years ago when I read the comics), but I had a funny experience with that scene:

The kindly older gentleman who was taking tickets told every person in line for this to stay through the credits for an easter egg, so WAY more people stayed through to the very end than I usually see. Basically the whole theater. Needless to say, there was a collective HUH? at the end. And the one question on everyone's lips as we all made our way out?

"Was that a man or a woman?"

I'm going with very pretty young man.

McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Houlte have been announced for Apocolypse. I think the old guard cast is done, except Jackman who will do one more Wolverine movie (which will surely put him head-to-head with Jennifer Lawrence). This really felt like a passing of the torch to the First Class crew.

Haven't seen DOFP yet so feel free to spoil what needs to be spoiled to answer this, but how is the old guard (Stewart, McKellen, etc) "done?" Is the X-Men universe now taking place in the 1970s-ish New Class time? Or does Wolverine bring the New Class into the future/old guard time period of 2010ish?

Both timelines are separated still. McAvoy etc are in the 70s, Stewart in the near future.

I heard that question before i saw the movie and thought it was just a young/androgynous man.

Yeah, i got the line about Pietro and his father.

I was surprised, in a theater prob. 1/3 full, there were not more audible reactions for some of the easter egss. I guess it was just a mainstream audiecne, in suburban Baltimore.

Ian McKellen looks like death in this movie.

There's nothing that would specifically preclude them from doing more movies with the old cast if they wanted to, but it definitely felt like the movie was saying goodbye to those versions of the characters. Everybody in the future gets the Super Happy Ending.

I'm just speculating of course, but there doesn't seem to be much of a conflict left there. Everyone's alive, everyone's happy, everyone's getting laid by someone, it just seemed like a nice ending for that bunch.

That, and they've already announced that Apocolypse is gonna take place with the First Class crew (who yeah, are still in the 70's). So it looks like X-Men is gonna be a period piece for awhile. That's my guess anyway.

• Like 1

X-Men had an opening day of $36 million.  Will probably get around $110-112 million for the holiday weekend.  Or in other words...still less than The Last Stand :P .

More proof that The Last Stand was obviously THAT bad.

Boy, Storm fans are incredibly salty about the movie. It's pretty funny to watch them meltdown because she didn't do what they wanted.

Part of me wants to believe it was Singer's ultimate revenge for that time she told him to kiss her ass during X2.

But then there's the part of me that actually read the article talking about how she was limited due to her pregnancy.

I thought she was handled pretty well, especially if the pregnancy thing is true.

What's funny is that that's about how she dies in the comic. If anything, she at least got a chance to show off with Magneto before getting impaled.

Saw someone say that the future team should've been given the chance to do better before going down and I'm like "Those were adaptable Nimrod sentinels. That they managed to do what they did before dying was practically a miracle as is."

I'll be honest.  I've never read any of the X-Men comics.  Everything I know about them has come from the movies.

This was the best X-Men movie I have seen, by far.  Absolutely loved it.  I have absolutely no complaints about it.

Okay, I do have the ultimate nitpick:

It's 1973. What's with the guy creating the basepaths at RFK Stadium? The Senators moved to Texas after the '71 season.

Eh, I'll just chalk that up to some mutant shenanigans.

I was so happy to see

Storm get killed off and Halle Berry have limited screen time. Halle Berry really can't act IMO so for her to get paid millions for fifteen minutes AND get killed is great. Maybe in the X-Men First Class continuity they can recast a lesser known actress for Storm now.

My theory about

the post-credit scene is that Apocalypse goes back in time to fight the First Class/'80s X-Men.

Also, showing people vomiting in the movie was poor form. Way to make me not lose my popcorn!

And Avengers Age of Ultron can't live up to DOFP Quicksilver for me.

Saw the movie a few hours ago. It easily the best X-men film done yet. The acting was a good improvement over First Class, and I dug the story a lot more as well. I wouldn't put it over Winter Solider, but it was quite good. Loved the post credits scene. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they are doing next film.

Saw the movie a few hours ago. It easily the best X-men film done yet. The acting was a good improvement over First Class, and I dug the story a lot more as well. I wouldn't put it over Winter Solider, but it was quite good. Loved the post credits scene. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they are doing next film.

I thought it was better than Captain America: Winter Soldier. Winter Soldier started out as a full-on Bourne movie (which I dug completely) but turned into a Big Dumb Action Movie. The action setpieces in DOFP made logical sense because of the past movies and First Class and fit very well.

At the end, Wolverine said to Patrick Stewart that he didn't know any history after 1973 (in this timeline). So the next movies are going to show the history from 1973 onwards... although it does mean that technically everything that ever happened in an X-Men movie has been retconned out of existence. I mean, obviously a lot of things went down the same way in both timelines because they all end up the same way.

Oh, and to the guy who wanted to go out with Jennifer Lawrence, she's already going out with Nick Hoult (young beast). They were papped hanging out in a random house in London the other week. It was Gendry's (Game of Thrones).

Oh, and to the guy who wanted to go out with Jennifer Lawrence, she's already going out with Nick Hoult (young beast). They were papped hanging out in a random house in London the other week. It was Gendry's (Game of Thrones).

Yeah, I know. I'm gonna need some kinda plan.