DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

The West coast feed of the show on UniMas was moved to an earlier time due to a soccer game without any notice from Lucha Underground or El Rey (not surprising since I already know how the El Rey PR dept. works. Nice people, not quite good at the PR thing), so should be interesting if there's any number decline on the UniMas show for this week.

I have Comcast and the town , 5 miles from me has El Rey but the city I live in doesn't.  Kind of glad i can find these shows on Youtube.  I am really enjoying it.  If they keep up the high quality, we might be in "another" golden age of wrestling entertainment.  My fingers are crossed.

I just started watching this because I don't have El Rey (or cable). I am seeing the eps online, though, starting with that first show. It's an interestingly-shot show. Those backstage skits are shot like soap opera scenes, and I'm not quite sure if I like that or not. 

Dario Cueto looks like the type of guy that sells roofies to frat boys. 

Striker as PBP is better than Striker on color, certainly. Vampiro sounds pilled up over on color. The commentary is inoffensive at the very least. 

They really sweeten the sounds of slaps and chops in post-production...,man. Each slap sounds like a firecracker going off to me. Maybe it's my audio. 

I feel like I could listen to Konnan talk forever. Him talking about the history of lucha and how good Prince Puma was is my favorite thing I've seen so far on the show. 

I don't know much (any) of Blue Demon Jr's work, but I really did not enjoy him vs. Chavo. It was pretty sloppy and the pacing was weird. 

I think I kinda like Sexy Star, but I'm not thrilled about her fighting dudes if that's where this is going to go. 

Puma/Mundo was okay. I think I just don't yet get or appreciate the house style, but so much of it seemed more like a performance - get to the next elaborate spot - instead of a fight. Oddly, it reminded me of Ambrose/Rollins Cell in that way, where it felt more like a series of spots meant to pop the crowd rather than a full match. 

Post-match was whatever with the devious owner, but I am fully in favor of Ezekiel Jackson on my television. 

I've never been the type of wrestling fan who pays attention to TV ratings, but since Lucha Underground is a brand-new show, is this the kind of situation where low ratings out of the gate could lead to an early cancellation? I know that's more of a thing with network TV than cable, but even channels like USA and TNT have had shows that were pulled after the 1st season, presumably for low ratings. If I like Lucha Underground, do I need to start tracking the ratings and worrying whenever they take a slight dip, or is El Rey's model not as dependent on that?

If I like Lucha Underground, do I need to start tracking the ratings and worrying whenever they take a slight dip, or is El Rey's model not as dependent on that?

Week to week rating changes are largely unimportant at this point. It'd be better for the numbers in (for example) February to be higher than when they started but they seem willing to quite a while. I think the positive reaction they've gotten on Twitter has probably helped convince people in charge they have a something good and the only thing holding them back is the distribution (though that's me speculating about speculation.) 

The easiest sign to tell if a Lucha Underground is in trouble is if the time slot gets moved to a worse spot. That was the sign Lucha Libre USA was dead in the water, it was a pretty good sign TNA was done on Spike, it was a pretty good sign the lucha shows were just about on Galavision when they were only airing at 3AM. (And only the East Coast feed time counts; the West Coast people just get messed with because of live programming.)

Mil Muertes vs. Drago was short but good and Katrina looked even more smoking hit this week then the previous weeks. Son of Havok's match was good. Chavo vs. Sexy Star served it's purpose to get us to the tag match for next week. Puma vs. Zeke was like most lucha street fights with the heels having a number advantage thru out the match. The ending will be interesting to see how it plays out between Puma and Mundo the next couple of weeks.

I'm an episode behind as the Spanish version doesn't air until Saturday. But yeah, despite the flaws, I like it more and more.

Loved the promo Sexy Star cut last week. "Te voy a partir tu madre, cabron!" And Ivellise on the mic was just as fun.

A friend of mine who just started watching wrestling this year is super into Lucha Underground. Great to hear feedback on wrestling from a casual fan. She only watched WWE prior to this, and roots for the faces and boos the heels. She LOVES Sexy Star.

It makes me wonder what it was like to watch the old St. Louis wrestling of lore, where Sam Muchnick would plan out his shows months in advance to follow through on storylines and move things along properly. That level of micromanagement would be interesting to see in progress. (of course, we do have a bunch of St. Louis available from the late '70s/early 80s and if you haven't seen it, get to it)

I think wrestling is very easy to book in advance. The people who you have long term plans for win and don't lose and the people who you don't have long term plans for can lose more.

In theory yes, but then you have a history of the industry being full of fickle promoters and wandering wrestlers, and you always have to look at the bottom line of who draws. In the case of Lucha Underground you have a pre-set schedule for a televised show so I imagine it's a thousand times easier to book than a regular, continual schedule with all the drama that entails. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2014/11/lucha-underground-episode-5-workrate.html

Our Segunda Caida review is up. Another really good week for this program. This thing is too easy to watch, yet they always cram a lot of stuff into each ep…while never feeling like there's an overload. Excellent editing. The main event was my favorite match of the run so far. All the run ins and interference fit in perfectly. Really added to the whole match.

• Like 1

I caught that last match out of a doze (I wrote dose initially. Freudian slip, goddamn spine) last night before completely crashing. Yeah, really great ECW brawl that was good because it was based as, like Striker pointed out, a 3-on-1 match. That way the run-ins made sense and there was proper pacing for building the spots, instead one of two people not in the action for a period of time so the spots could be prepared. And that Mundo leap into the roll was just absolutely HOLY FUCKING SHIT. That was some military shit right there and was super unexpected, even though I already read about it. Vampiro should have absolutely stopped calling him out after the match because that guy looked like he risked his life trying to save his friend. The overhead cam for the chokeslam was boss too.

Just binge-watched all the episodes. Love it so far. The lack of actual in-ring promo's or interviews that the WWE does is a plus for me. The telenova style vignettes in combination with the commentary actually puts over the wrestlers a lot better. Big Ryck is ten times more intimidating than he ever was in the WWE due to these factors. Same goes for some of the luchadores.

Reminds me of Wrestling Society X, but done much better.

I also kind of dig the idea of women fighting men. It happens in videogames and movies, but for some reason is a taboo in wrestling these days. Lucha Underground feels like you are watching a Robert Rodriguez movie so in this case it works very well. 

Yeah Cassandro was set for a huge things in the states in 2010 then he/she broke their leg at ROH's Big Bang 1st IPPV. Cassandro would be awesome for Lucha Underground in the future. The set up for the 3 way ladder match was good build up and made me want to see the match next week. The main event of Sexy/Fenix vs. Chavo/Pentagon was good and set things up for the future in continuing their fueds.

We need to start an online petition to have Cassandro on the next season.

Cassandro would do well on a show like that and there was talk about bringing in another exotico to work against Pimpi, but the only Mexican wrestlers working for this show are going to be the ones already working for AAA. I don't think that schedule works for him.