DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

It's cool, if anything the belt win should've been spoilered. 

Prince Puma's historic accomplishment deserves acknowledgement!  

So the first title feud will be Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo, with special guest appearances by Konan?  Or will Mil Muertes demand revenge for Mundo's inexcusable assault on Catrina?  

So the first title feud will be Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo, with special guest appearances by Konan?  Or will Mil Muertes demand revenge for Mundo's inexcusable assault on Catrina?  

This show was Mundo's last in-ring appearance of the tapings; he had some place else to be for the last weekend (last 3 shows.) They've taped backstage vignettes for guys ahead of time to fix that, so maybe he'll just run into Muertes elsewhere in the temple. Mil is surely going to make Johnny pay.

There's two title matches in the last 3 shows of this batch of tapings. (One is next week - the preview states it.) Konnan did make it in the ring by the end of the tapings, but not in the way you may be expecting. Not in a match ether.

So I just discoverd that On Demand has all the episodes of Lucha Underground so I can finally catch up

What I need to know - is there always going to be that much Konnan?

Because Episode 1 had WAY too fucking much Konnan

This show was Mundo's last in-ring appearance of the tapings; he had some place else to be for the last weekend (last 3 shows.) They've taped backstage vignettes for guys ahead of time to fix that, so maybe he'll just run into Muertes elsewhere in the temple. Mil is surely going to make Johnny pay.

Thanks for the clue-in.  I wouldn't want Mil Muertes mad at me either, Johnny was right to hit the road.

The show has some really cool-looking entrance garb, Mil Muertes' sun god frill and King Cuerno's crazy huntsman gear are my favorites so far.  I'm actually ready to see a few more backstage vignettes at this point to flesh out some of the characters.  I don't even care if they do them in Spanish given the very theatrical way things are shot backstage, it would be perfectly consistent with the overall presentation to have everything subtitled.  

The only thing that's really killed my enjoyment of the in-ring product thus far is Pimpinela Escarlata, who is just too old and slow to be working an acrobatic style.  Everybody has to throttle down when he's in the ring and work extra hard to cooperate with his offense.  

I have El Rey on my 5000 channel cable. Yet I didn't spend my last 2 months watching Kung Fu movies and Lucha Underground on El Rey. I'm sorry.

So, I went to El Rey's YouTube and watched some videos.

1) Johnny Mundo v. Prince Puma (10/29)

That was a pretty fun first experience from the first episode. I did watch the intro video that had Demon/Chavo, Mundo/Puma/Konnan, Sexy Star, Muertes. So anyways, Konnan as the crusty boxing trainer is a pretty solid pick. Vampiro is essentially just as crusty but also acting like Jesse Ventura to Konnan's Hulk Hogan. The match was a good time for all. Even with the goofy announcer's table angle. Puma really unleashed a bit and that also played into the end (450 didn't quite work, then Mundo just murdered Puma with 3 moves in a row). I don't hate the overhead cam much.

2) Fenix v. Pentagon Jr v. Drago (11/12)

Drago has a memorable tongue. Or that might be an intergallatic slug that is mounted on his gum line. All 3 guys seem pretty dedicated to not walking when they're old men. So many spots and dives. Fenix goes off to the stairs and i'm thinking he's gonna jump from the stairs to the ring. No, he's gonna jump off the fucking side stage and take out both guys. Holy shit. I think the off-the-top move with the 3rd guy in a tree of woe seemed a little too cooperative for a match with a stage dive. Also, the match finishes up with Pentagon Jr/Fenix unintentionally crushing Drago and then going to their finish. On a side note, "The following lucha" is like a non-sensical sentence. It makes sense if you use the same language for both moves.

3) Fenix v. Pentagon Jr (11/19)

Pentagon Jr gets the mic. Then Fenix comes out to further amaze us with crazy shit. I might become unimpressed by dives and Spanish Flys one day. That will be a sad day. I didn't really type during this match. That will change.

4) Chavo/Pentagon Jr v. Sexy Star/Fenix (12/3)

Evil luchadors walk down the aisle. Good luchadors walk down the stairs. Chavo has a superb poncho/cape/etc. Fenix just kinda stands there while Sexy Star is thrown out of the ring. It's tough world, Mrs. Star, gotta fend for yourself. Vamp wanting to help out Sexy Star, as if Fenix just wandered off to get a beer. Fenix with impressive offense before falling to the doubleteam of Pentagon Jr and evil Chavo Jr. "Okay Sexy, we're gonna need you to bend over slightly as you reach for that tag". I guess Fenix has to be Ricky Morton here over the alternative. The handspring cutter looks awesome, even if it's kinda cooperative. Matt Striker wants you to know that Sexy Star is for all the little girls told no. Fenix thrown into the corner. Sexy Star dive. Fenix dive. So many random women in the audience. Who is Blue Damone? a Fast Times Luchador? (yes, I know it's Blue Demon, Matt Striker just acts like the dude who watches La Liga and overemphasizes all the Spanish). The Five Star Frog Splash, really Matt? And that was a decisive win.

5) Big Ryck v. Johnny Mundo v. Prince Puma (12/10)

The Ring Announcer is essentially Selena Gomez's more down to earth older sister that isn't gonna leech and she's make her own way announcing the following luchas for us all. Big Ryck takes what should be a generic name and makes it seem not generic (take notes, Big E). Konnan's future heel turn is guaranteed as the heels don't have to go down stairs. Kidding, Konnan is the new Mickey, and Vampiro hating him is still more fun than distracting. Matt Striker reading his Ladder Match Wikipedia entry. "Broken Bones, Bankruptcy, Tetanus". Did Matt Striker work some really sketchy NE Indies once?. Big Ryck brings out the henchmen early. Somebody's gotta bump. Prince Puma's back is dying for our sins. Mundo's awesome di-- shut up, Striker, with your tables history. Johnny Mundo just has to take out the Edgehead henchmen first, Striker. Vampiro knows how the real world works, comparatively to Striker. Poor henchmen got taken out when Mundo ducked. Biggggg Ryck and the henchmen kick off the rudo beatdown segment. Big Ryck's look says "guy who has been taped fighting people in a backyard". Superfluous Striker reference to Ric Flair. Vampiro is essentially Jesse Ventura. Prepare for Vampiro's reign as Governor. Not sure if the Lucha Underground tables are tiny or the ring is just so huge (some of you mentioned the ring is huge but I didn't really notice it). Prince Puma is fucking awesome, even if he might have questionable money-obtainment skills. John Morrison (Mundo, of course) is the perfect ace for this starship. Then Biggg Ryck casually murders Prince Puma. Big Ryck is so big, he needs two ladders. Those henchmen are gonna get fired for letting Mundo back in this. Hey, it's a worked fan run-in by a guy with a Melky Cabrera beard. Of course that isn't enough to get Big Ryck the win. So he'll have to keep employing his quasi-effective ladder-climbers. That key was on the ringpost for 20 minutes, I guess Dario is too honorable to just get someone to get that key during the match. Cya next week, Dario.

6) 10 Way Match, with: Big Ryck, Fenix, Pentagon Jr, Cuerno, Drago, Super Fly, Prince Puma, Son of Havoc, Mariachi Logo, Mascarita Dorada. *checks* Yes, that's 10. (12/17)

Dario's sunglasses. Hey, Danny Trejo. I wouldn't wanna be the luchador that disappoints Danny Trejo. Hey, we got two 10 man matches. One i'm watching and one I might need to watch. He's offering something more precious than money, so, he's offering love? his sunglasses? Sagrada v. Big Ryck, holy shit, this is awesome. Overt Trejo reference. Sagrada spot, Sagrada gets the Backstabber. Puma being awesome, hey more Danny Trejo. Big Ryck is the final boss in this video game. Puma and Fenix together being awesome. Cuerto and Son of Havoc checking in for big spots. Drago and Super Fly right now. Asian Guy trying to match Trejo for air time from fans. Time for everybody to beat up Biggg Ryck here. "Big Ryck is the minority here". Dive sequence! Son of Havoc has an awesome fucking beard, along with his moves. More awesome Fenix/Puma. Goodbye Puma. Fenix goes over. Vampiro has 33 years of pro wrestling? Congrats on your unique opportunity, Fenix.

I can't find the other 10 man match yet. Soooo...

7) Aztec Warfare: Mil Muertes v. Sexy Star v. Johnny Mundo v. Prince Puma for the Lucha Underground Title (1/7)

And Sexy Star is out after a minute of this video. Cya. Muertes and Mundo helping to further destroy Puma's back. Superplex! And there goes Katrina. Oof. Puma and Mundo with awesome splashes to eliminate Muertes. Puma and Mundo for this belt. Ref telling Muertes where to carry his valet who was knocked out by our hero Johnny Mundo. The Magic of Luchaaaa Underground. Lance Storm crab. I checked and apparently Fenix's unique opportunity involved losing to Mil Muertes 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if the sound quality is off or if Matt Striker now has a raspy voice. Sorry Puma, your super-fucking-awesome flipping slam is not the finish. Reverse rana. Starship/End of the World isn't enough, remember the first match. Little kid in anguish. Groin shot. 630. That's it. Lift your head up little kid. Konnan is here (not taking the stairs, duh). Prince Puma is your champ.

So.... aside from the obvious answer of "watch full shows, dummy"... what other matches should I watch (or storylines or whichever)? (there's a Puma/Mundo v. Castro/Cisco match on El Rey's YouTube, for example, and more, presumably)

• Like 1

Yeah, the hardcore match was maybe the most fun match they did overall. Cool to have more people watching this! And no, do not worry about Konnan at all; hell four-five episodes in the telenovela backstage stuff even gets second shrift to the matches (but remains one of the most entertaining parts, because of Dario). 

Konnan as the wrestling equivalent to a old bald boxing trainer isn't all that bad of a storyline for him, i'd guess. As much as Vampiro would take shots at him, there's no need to turn Konnan from Angelo Dundee to Panama Lewis unless there's something good in mind. (Although I could think of some openings where a veteran/legend could add something to a guy in other feds as a trainer/advisor/etc. Although a Panama Lewis evil trainer could be good some place. Magic water bottle for the win)

Anyways... The Boyle Heights Street Fight (Puma v. Ryck) was on the related videos list for a few vids but I somehow passed over it. That doesn't include the 90sec clips they post as well. Lucha, Kung Fu, Random Syndies, El Rey, what a network

Judging by the end of show credits, I think Chavito is the only agent they have putting together the matches.

Chavo's mentioned Vampiro and Konnan are involved in that as well. WON was pushing (in different words) a "Konnan wants PWG style matches while Chavo wants more toned down style" disagreement during the tapings, but everything seems to have turned out OK.

Segunda Caida review up, too much stuff to mention in the Aztec Warfare match. My favorite spot was probably Mundo hitting a crazy crossbody while Muertes was holding Puma prone in the ropes, sending both to the floor with Puma hitting the apron in a nasty way on the way down. So naturally both Phil and I don't mention it in the review. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/01/lucha-underground-episode-9-workrate.html

Konnan as the wrestling equivalent to a old bald boxing trainer isn't all that bad of a storyline for him, i'd guess. As much as Vampiro would take shots at him, there's no need to turn Konnan from Angelo Dundee to Panama Lewis unless there's something good in mind. (Although I could think of some openings where a veteran/legend could add something to a guy in other feds as a trainer/advisor/etc. Although a Panama Lewis evil trainer could be good some place. Magic water bottle for the win)

Anyways... The Boyle Heights Street Fight (Puma v. Ryck) was on the related videos list for a few vids but I somehow passed over it. That doesn't include the 90sec clips they post as well. Lucha, Kung Fu, Random Syndies, El Rey, what a network

If you're up for it check the El Rey thread in the TV section.  Might find some things worth checking out.

Incredible dives all through this episode. Main was great albeit super ROH-y. Dragging out the Cuerno/Drago blowoff was kinda lame but its nice to have a solid undercard feud they can build on. They already have Big Ryck, now they have Cage, I guess the two have to face off at some point.

yeah, Ryck/Muertes/Cage are the three monster-ish heels in the fed now. Always room for more! (Muertes and Ryck don't know who told Cage to not wrestle in pants/long tights)

Vamp was pretty much treating Striker like Vamp was a WWE commentator. Also, how many non-LU guys got namedropped by Striker/Vamp tonight? Silver King, Wagner Jr, Lyger, Arn, Finlay, Booker T, and more that I forgot.

yeah, Ryck/Muertes/Cage are the three monster-ish heels in the fed now. Always room for more! (Muertes and Ryck don't know who told Cage to not wrestle in pants/long tights)

Vamp was pretty much treating Striker like Vamp was a WWE commentator. Also, how many non-LU guys got namedropped by Striker/Vamp tonight? Silver King, Wagner Jr, Lyger, Arn, Finlay, Booker T, and more that I forgot.

He even mentioned Dr Death Steve Williams, Super Delfin, and Sasuke. Guy was dropping names all over the place.

Cage is a fucking Machine and his eventually title match with Ricochet should be great. Cueno vs. Drago next week should be good in a last luchador standing match. Fenix vs. Puma the rematch should be better then last night's match because I fell they have a much better match in them.  

Incredible dives all through this episode. Main was great albeit super ROH-y. Dragging out the Cuerno/Drago blowoff was kinda lame but its nice to have a solid undercard feud they can build on. They already have Big Ryck, now they have Cage, I guess the two have to face off at some point.

I feel like Cage and Ryck are a bit different. Ryck is more like a bodyguard boss type while Cage is just a bulldozer.

So I tweeted to Striker and Vampiro last night about the origins of the 450 Splash, saying that I would think of 2 Cold Scorpio in that regard.  Randomly, Vampiro tweeted me back a few times about it, joking that he once did a 450 Splash when he was drunk in high school and fell down the stairs.