DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Spanish version had Hugo announcing, he was much better at being excited during the main event. They didn't do the wacky edit of a camera right near the announcers. Went with one that showed them, but a different angle.  Vampiro wore different clothing, so it was hilarious when they cut to the Prince Puma and Morrison fight at the announce table. Right before they cut to it, Vamp is shown making a hand-signal as if he remembered that would look weird, but they went to it anyway so you see Vamp wearing the clothes he wore at that taping.

UniMas airs a Pablo Escobar TV series. I'm intrigued.

Didn't notice that there's a thread for this on here. I caught this show a few days back. Had to pirate it because Dish doesn't carry El Rey yet. Since I enjoyed WSX back in the day, hell, I even own th DVD box set, I figured that I'd enjoy this too after seeing pictures from the tapings. It ends up exceeding my expectations greatly! Wrestling fans clamor for a true alternative and I feel this could end up being just that if given the chance. It didn't follow the same tired TV wrestling show format and brought something I've never seen before on a wrestling show with how the vignettes are filmed. Sure, it's not a legit Lucha show, nor did it feel like one, but I have high hopes for this show since it's backed by a much better network that's not as restrictive as MTV was with WSX.

Decided to give this a shot despite not being the most well-versed on lucha libre.

I've missed John Morrison.  Would like to see a whole lot more of Ricochet.

Didn't Sexy Star get a WWE tryout a while back?

She did to put it as nicely as possible from reports it did not go well.

From August 2010.

According the latest issue of Wrestling Observer Newsletter, AAA Women’s Champion Sexy Star was panned by WWE officials after taking part in a tryout at FCW a couple of weeks ago.

Dave Meltzer reports:

Sexy Star from AAA was at the FCW tryouts two weeks back in Tampa. At the tryouts, she did a match against New York Knockout Nikki (Toni the Top in Wrestllicious – those who have seen her have said she’s a great heel but absolutely doesn’t have the look WWE wants). She Nay Nay also tried out. The WWE reaction was that of the 63 people who tried out, paying $1,000 to be seen, that about 50 of them had no business being there. We heard they were impressed with the fundamental skills of the guys Lance Storm trained, one of whom was signed to a contract. As for Sexy Star, they thought her work was terrible, her English was terrible and they also thought she was overweight and wasn’t pretty enough without the mask. John Laurinaitis told the officials at FCW that when it comes to hiring women, the standard is if they aren’t pretty enough to be in Playboy, then the company wouldn’t want them.

Caught the whole episode Saturday morning and I'm digging it so far. Love the telenovela-style vignettes... they're overproduced, but in a way that screams "major league" and puts the TNA stuff to shame.

Amused at Vamp seemingly working his own angle with Konnan mentoring Puma. If it doesn't lead anywhere, that's seriously dumb of him.

I know Konnan has said he wasn't aware of what Vampiro was saying, but it's hard to believe Vampiro was going into business for himself the entire time. Sneaking things in commentary is one thing, but calling Konnan a cancer in the static shot of the announcers before the main event isn't going to be missed. It does start to go somewhere by the end of these tapings so it became a storyline at some point.

HS:

Thanks for reminding me what a real-life asshole Johnny Ace is. Didn't like him as a wrestler, didn't care for him as an executive, and really, really don't think much of him as a human being. I just wish Dr. Death had hit him even harder. Only way he gets a woman half as pretty as Sexy Star is if he's paying for it, the fucking dickhead.

• Like 2

Yeah Johnny Ace is a real prick. I also recorded the Saturday morning replay and liked what I saw. Vampiro was terrible on color but I figured that when I heard he was doing it. Sexy Star can be built as a major part of the company if built up right. The Main event of Morrison vs. Ricochet was awesome and I'll told several of my wresting buddies to look up if they get the el rey network or not.

Whether you look at it as good or bad the FCW experience changed Sexy Star for the better. It was after that rejection she became a much better wrestler (& got body exhancements). I don't know whether she did it to try and get in there again at some point in the future or just to stick it to them but either way I much prefer the post-2010 Sexy Star.

RE: Vampiro's weird commentary about Konnan

I felt like this might be more a symptom of the commentators not being given a specific gameplan by Lucha Underground creative, hence they were a little underproduced. Konnan was presented as this trainer veteran with a heart of gold the entire show and Vampiro was just running standard wrestling facts talking points.

Has anyone brought up the fact that Del Rio is going to be at the next set of tapings supposedly?

Maybe. They're not going to use him until his WWE no compete resolved. If it's done by January (either by settling or getting it thrown out), they'll write him in then. If they have to wait until next September, they'll do it then. But I don't think anything's actually changed with that, or he wouldn't be free to do anti-WWE interviews.

Sexy Star also admitted motherhood changed her. She got into far better shape than she was previously and I think she started taking things a little more seriously especially when Lucha Underground got closer to becoming a reality.

If Fabi Apache was the woman going against Son of Havoc, she would have handed him his lunch! :)

I think they wanted the Vampiro commentary there but I also think it was Vampiro talking the producers into including it when he had them alone without Konnan around. Again, this is 100% typical Vampiro M.O. He cons naive people for his own selfish reasons.

Anyone catch the tease of Rey Jr. coming? It was quick but clearly planted in the hopes of an eventual payoff.

Really liked this show. More than the first episode. Thought the opening tag was red hot. So much better than last week's main event. Had no problem with mixed tag. Women were sloppy (and Sexy Star is really not good enough for the role they want her to be playing) but men carried it just fine. Mil Muertes' introduction was well done and he came off great in his match against that sack of shit Demon who must have been thrilled to job cleanly.

The ending angle was great! I knew the chairshot to the woman would get the inevitable internet outrage and the front page of this site (edit: WON, where I orginally posted my comments) confirmed it. But I had no issue with it, maybe because I'm used to it as an AAA fan. I hope the outrage is because a woman got hit and not because it was a chairshot to the head... because if you re-watch that chair comes nowhere near her head.

Phony crowd is still a negative but I think that improves a bit next week when they advertised more heavily & had regular fans mixed with the plants.

Super hyped for next week with the Mexicans finally showing up and the 3 way that supposedly tears the place down. Curious to see how they differentiate the Mexican guys with their own identites rather than WWE/WCW style "they're Mexicans! And... yeah... Mexicans!"