DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

DB solidifies the heel turn... in KC only... and for a week or so at most... we'll be over it soon. Also, Pence is jacked. I had no idea.

It's so weird.  He must wear a uniform that's too big because he swims in in and looks about as imposing as Gotye.  But the guy is a monster.

If you are the Cubs you can afford to wait on a closer.

Top of the rotation starter is a different subject.  If you feel that you are 2 years away and the guy is there you make the move.

Personally I think whomever the Cubs get Arietta will continue to prove he's the #1 guy on the staff. Bringing in a Lester or a Shields to compliment him and form a bridge between Arietta and Hendricks with Wada and Wood holding down the bottom of the rotation makes for a pretty good rotation.

AJ Burnett decided to get the fuck out of Dodge and declined his player option with the Phillies

It was a $12.75 million option so the Phillies have to be happy that something went their way

Burnett also wants to play on a winning team in what might be his final year. He's made it known before that he prefers to stay close to his Maryland home because of his wife's fear of flying. That pretty much makes it seem like he only wants to play for the Pirates, O's, or Nats.

Yeah, this is a win-win for Burnett and the Phillies. They can set fire to the money with some other stopgap signings, and he can try to latch on to a contender for one more year.

BBWAA finalists announced...

NL MVP Award (winner announced Thurs. 11/13)

Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw

Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen

Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton

AL MVP Award (winner announced Thurs. 11/13)

Indians left fielder Michael Brantley

Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez

Angels center fielder Mike Trout

NL Cy Young Award (winner announced Wed. 11/12)

Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto

Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw

Cardinals right-hander Adam Wainwright

AL Cy Young Award (winner announced Wed. 11/12)

Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez

Indians right-hander Corey Kluber

White Sox left-hander Chris Sale

NL Manager of the Year Award (winner announced Tues. 11/11)

Giants manager Bruce Bochy

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle

Nationals manager Matt Williams

AL Manager of the Year Award (winner announced Tues. 11/11)

Angels manager Mike Scioscia

Orioles manager Buck Showalter

Royals manager Ned Yost

NL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award (winner announced Mon. 11/10)

Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom

Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton

Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong

AL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award (winner announced Mon. 11/10)

White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu

Yankees right-hander Dellin Betances

Angels right-hander Matt Shoemaker

Gold Glove winners announced:

AL first baseman: Royals' Eric Hosmer
AL second baseman: Red Sox's Dustin Pedroia
AL shortstop: Orioles' J.J. Hardy
AL third baseman: Mariners' Kyle Seager
AL left fielder: Royals' Alex Gordon
AL center fielder: Orioles' Adam Jones
AL right fielder: Orioles' Nick Markakis
AL pitcher: Astros' Dallas Keuchel
AL catcher: Royals' Salvador Perez

NL first baseman: Dodgers' Adrian Gonzalez
NL second baseman: Rockies' DJ LeMahieu
NL shortstop: Braves' Andrelton Simmons
NL third baseman: Rockies' Nolan Arenado
NL left fielder: Marlins' Christian Yelich
NL center fielder: Mets' Juan Lagares
NL right fielder: Braves' Jason Heyward
NL pitcher: Dodgers' Zack Greinke
NL catcher: Cardinals' Yadier Molina

I'd like to point out how much I love that the set for "Hot Stove" is basically the inside of a stove.  It actually is going to be kind of soothing during the cold-ass months to come to know that these two fools are sitting huddled inside an oven talking about Baseball.  At some point I may catch myself holding my hands up to the t.v. for warmth.

Poor MadBum.... :)

post-season isn't supposed to have an impact on these awards, after all. :)

All the discussions about gold gloves is why i dont think it should be a talking point when discussing hof candicacy.

Same with all-star appearances.

Note how they're here jerking the curtain a full week before the headliner awards all get announced.  Very Telling, don't you think? :)

So...Joe Maddon's dog has a Twitter account that Maddon posts tweets for. The Twitter account is @WinstonCMaddon.

Yes. Maddon has a bulldog named Winston. Yes. Maddon posts on Twitter as his dog. This is awesome.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out how much I love that the set for "Hot Stove" is basically the inside of a stove.  It actually is going to be kind of soothing during the cold-ass months to come to know that these two fools are sitting huddled inside an oven talking about Baseball.  At some point I may catch myself holding my hands up to the t.v. for warmth.

Oh great.  Now Rippa and I are going to be making too many jokes about how we hope the set actually IS a stove every time we see Billy Ripken and John Heyman on there.

Another handy little resource

Trade Rumors projected arbitration salaries

Lucia, how is Bryce Harper on that list? 

When Harper was drafted, he signed a five year, major league contract. He's arbitration eligible as a Super Two this winter, and in situations where this happens, there is usually a provision in the contract where he can refuse that salary and enter arbitration.

You don't see it happen too often because A) many draftees don't get major league contracts anymore, and B. most players don't get to the majors as quick as Harper did. Most of the time, the later years of a contract like this are voidable options. Harper's isn't, so he'll likely end up filing a grievance and the Nationals will let him go to arb to make life easier for everyone.

More info here.