DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

I know natural instinct is to laugh at the Mets and piss on everything they do, but I don't think this is *that* awful....I more just have questions about how wise it is to dump the 15th pick for a guy you're only going to have for two years.

Amaro tried that stand at the trade deadline and nobody bit. He wanted MLB ready prospects for everyone including Byrd and Hamels.

It did not work then and more than likely it will not work now.

Oh, he pretty much made Houston's system in the Pence trade which is why he has that stance now.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hunter-pence-trade-astros-phillies-prospects-070214

Oh, don't get me wrong, there is no reason to trust Ruben - especially if you are a Phillie fan.  I reckon having Pat Gillick watching his every move might make me more inclined to believe this would work out better than the rest of Ruben's moves, but even then....yeah.

Point is, asking for 3 MLB ready prospects for Hamels is not THAT outrageous.  Any fan of another team looking to villainize him for ASKING for a lot would want their own GM to ask for the same thing if they were in the same boat.

I know natural instinct is to laugh at the Mets and piss on everything they do, but I don't think this is *that* awful....I more just have questions about how wise it is to dump the 15th pick for a guy you're only going to have for two years.

Well, laughing at the Mets is fun, of course.  Cuddyer has his uses, though.  He would be perfectly fine to platoon with Duda and whatever dreck they are rolling out in the OF corners.

But $10 million/year for a guy with Cuddyer's injury history seems a stretch to me.

Amaro tried that stand at the trade deadline and nobody bit. He wanted MLB ready prospects for everyone including Byrd and Hamels.

Oh, he pretty much made Houston's system in the Pence trade which is why he has that stance now.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hunter-pence-trade-astros-phillies-prospects-070214

Oh, don't get me wrong, there is no reason to trust Ruben - especially if you are a Phillie fan.  I reckon having Pat Gillick watching his every move might make me more inclined to believe this would work out better than the rest of Ruben's moves, but even then....yeah.

Point is, asking for 3 MLB ready prospects for Hamels is not THAT outrageous.  Any fan of another team looking to villainize him for ASKING for a lot would want their own GM to ask for the same thing if they were in the same boat.

If my team had gotten worse and worse, had multiple bad contracts nobody was gonna touch, and had fucked up trading any other assets for prospects because of the franchise being completely unwilling to retool from the ground up like was obviously needed, and now he's setting the asking price at something any and all GMs will roll there eyes at. It's a stupid price that no sane team will pay, except for the Yanks and Angels who could claim to offer there top prospects because there prospects aren't very good.

I think we're starting to see the tide start to turn on the prospect/draft lust we've seen grow over the last few seasons. We saw it when the A's traded Russell for Samardzija. We're seeing it now with the Mets, to a different extent. The 15th overall pick isn't a slam dunk - the best prior picks have been Chase Utley, Jim Rice, Chris Carpenter, Richie Hebner, and then...Scott Kazmir and Royce Clayton. Can't rebuild forever.

New York also hasn't historically drafted well in the first round, and maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think your right. I think the A's were completely all in on this season, thus the trade which more or less blew up in there face. As for this, I'm wondering if this could be a setup to a Tulu to the Mets deal? Because the reality is they just gave up there first round pick for a guy who isn't going to get them to the playoffs. If there isn't a big corresponding move, this is just a bad decision.

I think we're starting to see the tide start to turn on the prospect/draft lust we've seen grow over the last few seasons. We saw it when the A's traded Russell for Samardzija. We're seeing it now with the Mets, to a different extent. The 15th overall pick isn't a slam dunk - the best prior picks have been Chase Utley, Jim Rice, Chris Carpenter, Richie Hebner, and then...Scott Kazmir and Royce Clayton. Can't rebuild forever.

New York also hasn't historically drafted well in the first round, and maybe that has something to do with it.

AND let's not forget the international signings, as well.  If teams are seeing less bang for their buck with the amateur draft - given the high price tags on HS players and juco kids - it makes sense to punt that money over to FA's, give up some picks and make sure you do well scouting and signing kids from the DR.  Shoot, we started seeing trades the last couple of years where teams are picking up international signing money.  

If my team had gotten worse and worse, had multiple bad contracts nobody was gonna touch, and had fucked up trading any other assets for prospects because of the franchise being completely unwilling to retool from the ground up like was obviously needed, and now he's setting the asking price at something any and all GMs will roll there eyes at. It's a stupid price that no sane team will pay, except for the Yanks and Angels who could claim to offer there top prospects because there prospects aren't very good.

The state the Phillies are in now was essentially the state the Cubs were in after the Jim Hendry era.  And the Cubs at that point had nothing as valuable as Cole Hamels.  And the Cubs had to eat bad contracts until they ran out.  The Phillies are going to have to do that as well.

But all any of us know about the Hamels rumor is that It's an ALLEGED asking price.  If there is ANY truth to it, it makes sense to set the price high now (if there is ANY truth to the rumor) before the GM then winter meetings so other GM's can think about if it's worth it to sniff around at Hamels or to go all in on the starters on the FA market.  Rumors are rumors. Everyone is available in November and December.  Price tags are generally media creations anyway.  And there is no deadline at this point

That said, I doubt anyone is going to buy that high on Hamels.  But the Red Sox have the horses if they want to buy in.  The Cubs have the horses.  Ditto the Astros.  Maybe even the Blue Jays.  Teams are going to do far sillier things over the next couple of months than a 3-for-1 for Hamels.  If Pat Gillick is involved with helping Ruben get things together, teams might be more inclined to make a deal (and the Phillies more inclined to accept a reasonable package for him).

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Phillies to want a Myers-esque haul from a team for Hamels, especially because no matter how saber metrics inclined a front office is, there will always be a win now allure and pressure and recency bias to go along with it.

• Like 1