DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On a semi-related note to the post above, can I just say that I *HATE* it when games have theme songs or whatever that are SUPER LOUD in the PS3 menu system?  I'm looking at you Rock Band 2, Double Dragon Neon, and Rainbow Moon.  I don't mind games playing music and showing a picture when I'm scrolling through my list of games but having music that blows my head off is a little insane.  No thanks.

I had to remove Double Dragon Neon just because it startled the shit out of me every time I scrolled through my games.  You'd think they could fix that.

There's been a couple of games I've deleted off because of the absurdly loud menu music. They should have a PS3 update to have an option to turn that off, but I doubt it'll happen this late in the systems life.

I've randomly decided I want someone to do a modern, 3-D rehash of Sinistar. Make it all pretty with the lasers and the textures and lens flares and all that bullshit while you fly around mining asteroids and dodging evil robot ships.

But only if they use the original voice files in the new game when HE arrives. If they touch those the whole project is off.

I found a new copy SEGA Megadrive Ultimate Collection for the PS3 for £4.99. I couldn't complete Streets of Rage or Golden Axe 1. In 1992, I completed Streets of Rage and Golden Axe the first time I played them. Have I somehow got worse at playing videogames?

this is a paraphrase of a thing some one else said, but the way that old games were built were kind of similar. Action was handled in similar ways. The movement and timing were all very familiar even with minor variants. Through playing a bunch of action games kids were able to learn new ones very quickly and have a base level of mechanical skill at most new games of the day. The introduction of 3D movement kind of blew all of that up because of the long period of developmental growing pains (both for players and designers) combined with really different methods and theories of how to make traversal in a 3D space feel natural. There's still pretty significant disagreement on this.

So the analog is your first time back at the gym after a time away. You should be able to lift _____ but you can't because you haven't been working those muscles.

• Like 1

Fired up the Wii for the first time in months and downloaded the demo foe Pokemon Rumble. Never played Pokemon outside of the CCG, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked the game even though it seemed little more than a button masher. Read online reviews that were less than stellar, although I can relate to what they said i still had fun with the game. Found out the game was download only. Sigh...

Finally throwing out my plastic instruments shouldn't make as sad as it does but here we are.

Long may you ride Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock, Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3 and Lego Rock Band

Finally throwing out my plastic instruments shouldn't make as sad as it does but here we are.

Long may you ride Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock, Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3 and Lego Rock Band

I played 19 out of the 20 best games of the generation according to IGN, but I don't think I had as much fun with any of them as I did playing music that I don't normally listen to with plastic instruments.  Am I crazy or did Microsoft miss the ball by not making sure there was a Rockband/Dance Central mashup with the launch of the Kinect.  They could have had a much more diverse selection of music, and drunken dancing. 

"2014: The Year Of Vlambeer?" is how I would write a Kotaku headline about the thing I am about to say.

So I've hyped up the almighty LUFTRAUSERS already, and that game is still great. Today because of birthday related things I ended up with a copy of NUCLEAR THRONE. It's a hardcore top-down roguelike shooter, w/ the works (character classes, random maps, permadeath) and it plays awesome and sounds great and has an amazing soundtrack. The best thing about Nuclear Throne is the best thing about Luftrausers: from launching it on steam, it takes under ten seconds to start playing the fucking game. No creepy cutscenes, no epic backstory, no tech engine logos, no tutorial, just fucking pedal to the metal action gaming. Now, Nuclear Throne is early access so I dont know if I'll be able to actually bring it back up for game of the year stuff, but HOLY SHIT this game.

EDIT: Had to add this. This is the BGM for Level 1-1. It's like a Stoner Metal band comprised entirely of different Sega Genesis's.

I played 19 out of the 20 best games of the generation according to IGN, but I don't think I had as much fun with any of them as I did playing music that I don't normally listen to with plastic instruments.  Am I crazy or did Microsoft miss the ball by not making sure there was a Rockband/Dance Central mashup with the launch of the Kinect.  They could have had a much more diverse selection of music, and drunken dancing. 

Well, from their (and Harmonix's) POV, Dance Central was brand new when the Kinect launched.  Trying to create an entirely new thing in Dance Central, then tacking it onto something that had recently gone from commercial juggernaut to relative failure in Rock Band would probably have seemed like unnecessary complications and needless risk from a dollars-invested POV. It feels like a great idea NOW, but in 2010 it was probably an unacceptable risk to the people allocating development budgets.

Well, from their (and Harmonix's) POV, Dance Central was brand new when the Kinect launched.  Trying to create an entirely new thing in Dance Central, then tacking it onto something that had recently gone from commercial juggernaut to relative failure in Rock Band would probably have seemed like unnecessary complications and needless risk from a dollars-invested POV. It feels like a great idea NOW, but in 2010 it was probably an unacceptable risk to the people allocating development budgets.

yeah, but...iOiPBnlbwMyvS.jpg

I'm now imagining a plastic instrument/Kinect game based around ridiculous rock star poses like The Who's windmill arm power chording or pretending to play a solo with your teeth and crap like that. Singer mode where you are scored on your ability to imitate Robert Plant's obscene pelvic thrusting.

Honestly, it's not the worst idea I've ever heard for a party game.

• Like 1

*Chuckles at the idea of Tabe trying to 100% Dragon Warrior 7* That might take years due to simple frustration.

LOL. Tabe only tries to 100% games that seem do-able right upfront.

This weekend I was playing a lot of Wolfenstein but got stuck and decided to try out Killzone multiplayer. Let's just say multiplayer is probably not my thing as I routinely come in between second and fourth from the bottom on deathmatch play. Single player on hard has gone a lot better and now I am halfway through the game, but the multiplayer may make the platinum unattainable for me.

Wolfenstein put me in a situation where I have almost no supplies (which are in the room to the left) however the alarm triggers immediately and enemies are everywhere. I almost got through the situation but even more enemies popped out of nowhere and all of this ended in a rage filled tantrum. This game is awesome!

The reviews for Watch Dogs seem mostly positive at this point. I did watch a few minutes of two different guys who had early copies and were playing on Twitch through PSN.

I don't know. The game seems like it could get boring and repetitive quickly. Also, the Clueless Gamer Conan sketch makes a great point: "who puts an entire city on a single computer network?"

*Contemplates*

Actually, that is exactly something I would expect a Government here to do.

IGN gave Watch Dogs an 8.4.  You can find the review for yourself :)  Some stuff in the review had me concerned - insta-fail missions and a lot of stealth missions.  These are things I don't think Ubisoft does particularly well.  It also, as mentioned above, sounds like there's some really repetitive stuff.  I'm going to wait till I hear from actual people how good the game is before I buy.

IGN gave Watch Dogs an 8.4.  You can find the review for yourself :)  Some stuff in the review had me concerned - insta-fail missions and a lot of stealth missions.  These are things I don't think Ubisoft does particularly well.  It also, as mentioned above, sounds like there's some really repetitive stuff.  I'm going to wait till I hear from actual people how good the game is before I buy.

It's also Ubisoft, which means I'll probably find it for $30 by November.

I think I am going to reallocate my preorder for EA UFC>

That will give me a couple of more weeks with Infamous.