DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

So my replacement PS4 came in on Saturday. It took three tries to turn it on, which of course wasn't a good sign, I set it up to download stuff and then left for about 3 hours. When I came home, it had turned off completely and wouldn't come back on.  We are officially in "WTF?" territory here, and because my weekend schedule and work today wouldn't allow me to do so I get to call Sony *tomorrow* and try to get *another* replacement. But hey, I got my copy of Watch_Dogs today from Amazon!

I may be the only person to find Infamous: Second Son to be a challenging experience. I was stuck on the second leg of the Chasing Light mission because the game does a great job of placing enemies all around and making them very mobile combined with one bad guy with heavy armor. After many tries, I finally was able to clear enough people above ground to just hide out on a high roof top and pelt the heavy armor bad guy with cinder missiles before dropping down and finishing him.

In that process, I had a few other DUPs decide to be difficult targets. I also had to deal with that portion of the mission being on the outskirts of a region that shares a border with another region's DUP Command.

I may be the only person to find Infamous: Second Son to be a challenging experience. I was stuck on the second leg of the Chasing Light mission because the game does a great job of placing enemies all around and making them very mobile combined with one bad guy with heavy armor. After many tries, I finally was able to clear enough people above ground to just hide out on a high roof top and pelt the heavy armor bad guy with cinder missiles before dropping down and finishing him.

In that process, I had a few other DUPs decide to be difficult targets. I also had to deal with that portion of the mission being on the outskirts of a region that shares a border with another region's DUP Command.

Based on the ratings over at ps3trophies.org, yes, you are the only one :)  Lots of 2 & 3 ratings for platinum difficulty, which is about as low as you'll ever see for a game that has any challenge at all.  Did you play the first two games?  I found them both to be very easy with the exception of the final boss in the first game the first time I played through.  Second time through, even though a harder difficulty level, was muuuuuuch easier.

Based on the ratings over at ps3trophies.org, yes, you are the only one :)  Lots of 2 & 3 ratings for platinum difficulty, which is about as low as you'll ever see for a game that has any challenge at all.  Did you play the first two games?  I found them both to be very easy with the exception of the final boss in the first game the first time I played through.  Second time through, even though a harder difficulty level, was muuuuuuch easier.

I never touched the other games. I think I have always had an issue with over complicating Hack and Slash style games which is what this game is essentially at its core.

Finally throwing out my plastic instruments shouldn't make as sad as it does but here we are.

Long may you ride Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock, Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3 and Lego Rock Band

After kicking around the idea for a long time, I've decided I want to try the pro version of Rock Band 3.  Problem is, for whatever reason, the PS3 version of the game runs $40-$50 used.  It's "rare", I guess, if 10-20 copies always on Ebay equals rare.  The pro guitar actually can be found for even less than the game.  I don't plan on splurging for the actual Fender guitar anytime soon.  $200-$300?  No thanks.

So, if anybody has Rock Band 3 and/or a pro guitar controller for the PS3 they wanna get rid of, gimme a holler.

I was not impressed with Watch_Dogs at first, but as I have given it some more time and started to figure out how to use the gadgets it is pretty darn neat. I'm playing on "realistic" difficulty, so I really have to use stealth and that aspect of the game is great. You can't just power your way through like you could in Assassin's Creed games, so they spent a lot of time giving you a great deal of tools to get around guys or take them out quietly. The city feels a lot more sober and sterile than the GTA cities, but there is a nice collection of things you can encounter or overhear. The driving mechanics are pretty shitty but once you unlock some of the skills, like being able to raise "blockers" on the road to cut off tailing enemies, it's enjoyable.

That Arma: Cold War Assault game they gave away on Steam a week or two ago is hilariously awful. Why do so many people get wood over incredibly bad "military simulations" that are neither close to being a simulation or remotely entertaining? This must be like the new generation of creepy old guys that collect model trains or something.

• Like 1

Only played through a bit of watch Dogs so far but I am really enjoying it. The story might not be as good as GTA V's but I am liking that you have to think a bit more and you really can't just plow through with guns blazing. 

For me the city feels more alive thanks to the profiler. Even though you see some repeats about who the people on the streets are it gives them some kind of life which the people in GTA just don't have. Plus it is a gorgeous game. Also the driving mechanics blow sans motorcycles and boats, I think those handle well.

The best/worst part of Watch Dogs is that the protagonist can (and will) steal from cancer patients and charity workers among others.

Well, given that most video games have your character secretly become history's greatest mass murderer (Uncharted, Tomb Raider) it's nice to see a game take a shot at history's greatest bank robber.

• Like 1

Found XCom for PS3 at Target on clearance for $10.  I'm enjoying it, trying to get a handle on it.  What's the best way to develop your soldiers?  Stick with a core crew, or spread the action around to other soldiers you have?

Found XCom for PS3 at Target on clearance for $10.  I'm enjoying it, trying to get a handle on it.  What's the best way to develop your soldiers?  Stick with a core crew, or spread the action around to other soldiers you have?

Half vets and half rookies until you unlock the perk that lets you recruit rookies that skip the first classless level.

I tended to roll with two snipers (one with all-seeing and one with move&shoot), a heavy, two supports (one medic, one smoke-buffing) and an assault, but I play SUPER aggro so my Assault and All-Seeing Sniper always ended up having more experience than everyone. Experiment.

Found XCom for PS3 at Target on clearance for $10. I'm enjoying it, trying to get a handle on it. What's the best way to develop your soldiers? Stick with a core crew, or spread the action around to other soldiers you have?

Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within?

Ace Combat Infinity (F2Pay PS3 game) is pretty fun.  Only thing I don't like is the limit on missions/rewards you can get per day without getting microtransactioned to death buying "fuel" to fly Online missions, which is the only way to advance in the game.  Campaign missions cost money to unlock, and the only way to get them is to play online, as well as the only way to level up and get more planes and gear is to play online, and you only get like, 3 fuel's per day (which you can stack for a multiplier, so you might only get one per day) unless you buy "stocked" fuel on the store.

good game, better without the Microtransactions shit.

I do like that online isn't vs. Player, but two squads of player competing against AI for the higher score.

I've been playing that too. The consensus seems to be that if you're serious about the game, you need to buy the campaign unlock because there's really no way you'd be able to make enough credits to buy all the missions, even if you aren't using them to buy/upgrade planes.

BTW have you checked your in game email? There are messages that will give you items including a pack of 10 stored fuel.

The best/worst part of Watch Dogs is that the protagonist can (and will) steal from cancer patients and charity workers among others.

FDIC, man.  That money is insured.

I've been playing that too. The consensus seems to be that if you're serious about the game, you need to buy the campaign unlock because there's really no way you'd be able to make enough credits to buy all the missions, even if you aren't using them to buy/upgrade planes.

BTW have you checked your in game email? There are messages that will give you items including a pack of 10 stored fuel.

Yeah, I got all the in game mails with the starter items.  Blew through the initial stocked fuel getting leveled up to Warrant Officer 4 and unlocking/leveling a few planes (like the F-16 and the F-14).  

But yeah,  300,000 to unlock Mission 3 when planes are 30-40k a piece is steep.