DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

you know those flash toys/iphone apps that are like a big touch screen matrix and when you touch squares they play notes? And then a time line will scan across and it'll hit those notes, and you'll have a little song without having to learn theory or anything like that?

Okay, now what if you played an adventure game that happens underneath the little square thing that as you progressed, you slowly powered up the little square thing to do stuff like chords and play multiple patterns in a row?

FRACT OSC: now on steam.

(i am enjoying it, to be clear.)

Injustice is really very pretty. Love that the put the supers on the two shoulder buttons, rather than old MK button combos. Makes it more accessible for me.

question for the fighting game enthusiasts.

Analog stick or d-pad?

Personally - d-pad for me. I try with the stick but it slips from my thumbs when I'm half way through a combo.

Any dedicated fighting game player will say to use a joystick. If you don't have that then use the dpad. Analog stick is useless for most games.

I'm biased towards Sleeping Dogs cause I'm a huge Hong Kong movie fan but it really is IMO one of the best open world games. If it didn't have the taint of True Crime and had been promoted more, it would have been a huge hit instead of the cult classic it seems destined to be.

• Like 1

Any dedicated fighting game player will say to use a joystick. If you don't have that then use the dpad. Analog stick is useless for most games.

I'm biased towards Sleeping Dogs cause I'm a huge Hong Kong movie fan but it really is IMO one of the best open world games. If it didn't have the taint of True Crime and had been promoted more, it would have been a huge hit instead of the cult classic it seems destined to be.

Sleeping Dogs sold nearly 2 million copies.  I know Ubisoft says it underperformed but 2 million is still really good.

It's a really great open world game.  It's not perfect - the facial animation during cut scenes is terrible, the GPS will switch from the waypoint you picked to something else all by itself, the driving is shaky, and the draw-in while using a boat actually makes driving a boat difficult - but man, it's really good.  Love the story, love the missions* and the world is just great.  Great characters, too.  A next-gen sequel would be freaking awesome.

* - The actual story missions are ALL great, something I'm not sure I've come across in another open world game.  No filler or bad missions at all.  Some of the side missions are sketchy though.  There's a couple that are repeated.  And then there's one where some random flunkie standing on a corner gives you, a top dog gangster, an ORDER to take down a convoy.  Makes no sense. 

Any dedicated fighting game player will say to use a joystick.

Which is nuts, but what do you expect for people that hung out in arcades as youth. Anyone that can't play a fighting game on a d-pad is just flat out incompetent at video games.

Analog sticks are indeed ass, though.

Sleeping Dogs sold nearly 2 million copies. I know Ubisoft says it underperformed but 2 million is still really good.

It's a really great open world game. It's not perfect - the facial animation during cut scenes is terrible, the GPS will switch from the waypoint you picked to something else all by itself, the driving is shaky, and the draw-in while using a boat actually makes driving a boat difficult - but man, it's really good. Love the story, love the missions* and the world is just great. Great characters, too. A next-gen sequel would be freaking awesome.

* - The actual story missions are ALL great, something I'm not sure I've come across in another open world game. No filler or bad missions at all. Some of the side missions are sketchy though. There's a couple that are repeated. And then there's one where some random flunkie standing on a corner gives you, a top dog gangster, an ORDER to take down a convoy. Makes no sense.

A lot of that is from the game going from True Crime Hong Kong to Sleeping Dogs. Basically a lot of stuff got ditched. The original development team wanted to do a ton of stuff that never made it into the final game

Any dedicated fighting game player will say to use a joystick.

Which is nuts, but what do you expect for people that hung out in arcades as youth. Anyone that can't play a fighting game on a d-pad is just flat out incompetent at video games.

Analog sticks are indeed ass, though.

Yeah, no.

So I don't know how many people on here follow speedruns, but the lineup for Summer Games Done Quick came out Wednesday, and the lineup looks pretty awesome. There are some gems like Mega Man V GB, a 106% run on Super Meat Boy, and a Final Fantasy VI run. It benefits Doctors Without Borders, too, so it's a worthy cause.

Also, check out the blindfold Punch-Out run from Awesome Games Done Quick this January; it's seriously one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in video gaming.

• Like 2

So I don't know how many people on here follow speedruns, but the lineup for Summer Games Done Quick came out Wednesday, and the lineup looks pretty awesome. There are some gems like Mega Man V GB, a 106% run on Super Meat Boy, and a Final Fantasy VI run. It benefits Doctors Without Borders, too, so it's a worthy cause.

Also, check out the blindfold Punch-Out run from Awesome Games Done Quick this January; it's seriously one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in video gaming.

Followed by a blindfold Super Punch-Out! run where the game was beaten.

Not to mention the epic four-player Super Metroid run.

I just watched the blindfold run by Sinisterwon.  That was awesome.  Seems like a really cool guy, too.

i raved about NES Remix back in december when that game came out.

Remix 2 is just as good and has even better games. i just 3 star'd Mario 3, Dr. Mario, and Punch-Out. i had only planned on playing one game. greatness lives on!

Legitimately curious what time a FF VI speed run puts up. I beat it once in a single sitting as a teenager but that involved pulling an overnighter and I think was about 17-18 hours.

Obviously it can be done much faster than that, but still, it's not like Morrowind where you can do weird shit and "beat" it in 8 minutes.

Dark Souls 2 can eat me.

EDIT: Now that I'm a day removed, allow me to be more articulate.

I don't regret the purchase, and I knew what I was in for. The first thing they ever said about the game was "yeah, we're making it so you're fighting a bunch of dudes all the time." It is exactly what they said it would be and it is exactly as infuriating as I expected it would be.

Legitimately curious what time a FF VI speed run puts up. I beat it once in a single sitting as a teenager but that involved pulling an overnighter and I think was about 17-18 hours.

Obviously it can be done much faster than that, but still, it's not like Morrowind where you can do weird shit and "beat" it in 8 minutes.

I WANT to say there's a glitch in FF6 that warps you to a point in the World of Ruin, but I'm not sure. The Game Done Quick runs WILL exploit glitches and other nuances of the software (such as always focusing on the ground in Goldeneye since less stuff being rendered on-screen makes the game run faster), so unless a run specifically says something like "100%," you can count on glitch abuse. Just about the only things they don't use are tools and cheat codes.

I don't think anyone here plays Marvel Heroes here except me and Cliff (who seems to hate it), but it's a huge week for the game. Lots of free shit given out. I would suggest you guys give it a shot this week. It's free. And it's improved enormously since it launched 10 months ago.

Hate is a strong word. It's a game that works very well as something to keep my hands and eyes busy while I listen to a podcast or audiobook, but I can't really explain to myself why I continue to do that instead of something else. That said, if they make good on a Finesse enhanced for Taskmaster, they will probably get money out of me for the first time since the Founders' Packs.

I WANT to say there's a glitch in FF6 that warps you to a point in the World of Ruin, but I'm not sure. The Game Done Quick runs WILL exploit glitches and other nuances of the software (such as always focusing on the ground in Goldeneye since less stuff being rendered on-screen makes the game run faster), so unless a run specifically says something like "100%," you can count on glitch abuse. Just about the only things they don't use are tools and cheat codes.

eLmaGus is doing a FFVI glitchless run right now actually at http://www.twitch.tv/elmagus.  He was the world record holder for FFIV with a 3:21 playtime.  Newer FF games are in the 8-10 hour range but the clasic SNES games can be done anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on what sort of conditions need to be met.  

Frankly I'm looking forward to Crystals For Life starting this week, I think it runs tuesday-sunday and will be non-stop RPG speed runs for a Canadian charity.

Beat Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition last night on PS4.  Very fun game.  The conversion looks very nice.  I am looking forward to a sequel and hope they would make it an open world treasure hunting game.  Haven't tried the multiplayer yet.  Does anyone know if it is worth it? 

Unless you care about getting a Platinum, Tomb Raider's multiplayer isn't worth it. Trust me, I know. I have the Platinum for the PS3 version.