DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I have too much of a backlog, but I may snag this whenever it gets added to the inevitable PS Store/Xbox Marketplace Sale.

That's my thought as well.  Plus, it's a Ubisoft title - it might be on sale next week, for crying out loud.

• Like 2

If someone already posted this, well my apologies.

This is a good lineup of free Xbox games this month:

Starting May 1, Games With Gold will offer Dust: An Elysian Tail - normally $15 USD - for free through May 15. On May 16, Saint's Row: The Third - normally $20 USD - will be available for free through May 30.

My recent gaming efforts:

Sleeping Dogs - Did the "Nightmare" and "Year of the Snake" DLC packs.  "Nightmare" was awful.  Basically, they ripped off Infamous, made all the combat incredibly repetitive and boring, and gave it a stupid zombie storyline.  Waste of money.  "Year of the Snake" is a lot better.  It's all the fun stuff you get with the full game and better combat.  Both DLC packs do something that drives me nuts - they strip away a lot of what you've earned in the main game.  "Snake" is set after the original game, so why do I no longer have some of my coolest abilities?  That's stupid.  How about just giving me the ones I've actually earned?  "Snake" also has some annoying side missions where you have to ditch a car rigged with a bomb into water.  That's fine except the shoreline is 90% blocked from you by unbreakable fences and so on.  And, if you do find the right spot to ditch the car and set a waypoint, the game erases it.  So it ends up being something of a trial and error frustration-fest.  That's a minor quibble.  Nightmare: 2/10.  Snake: 7/10.

Rage - Can't remember the last time I gave up on a game this fast.  Something about the way your character moves around was very uncomfortable for me - the scrolling, that is.  And your guns take a BIG chunk of the center of the screen, making it hard to aim.  Can't really put my finger on it but hated the game from get-go and gave up after like 15 minutes, if that.  1/10.  This one (PS3 version) is free to anybody who wants it.

Resistance 2 - This is more like it.  Fun FPS with a storyline.  Only a couple hours in, so no rating yet.

I thought Rage was okay, just really short and kind of bland.  Also way too much loading.  BTW the guns do get a lot better.  The first couple you get are pretty crap.  The car combat ends up being decent too once you upgrade your car.

I liked Nightmare in North Point - though I am a big fan of kynosi (hopping vampire) movies like Mr Vampire so I liked all the nods to those films.  I agree with you that it did get repetitive though.  Never tried out the other DLC because at the time I only had a 40GB drive so I didn't have room.  I keep telling myself I'll get it again and try out all the DLC, but the recent PSN sales are creating a backlog that I want to get through first.

My problem with the combat in "Nightmare" is that they sucked all the challenge out of it.  The regular enemies do two things: 1) They hop in place, doing nothing or; 2) They try to bite you.  Most of the time that's super-easy to repel, the rest of the time, they attack simultaneous to the red flashing warning.  There's hardly any variety to anything and you're pretty much never in danger.

I don't like zombie/vampire stuff so this one had a strike against it going in.  Had it actually been better, and not just a complete ripoff of Infamous, I would have liked it despite the theme.

Tabe, just to warn you about Resistance 2, but the multiplayer servers for it are dead. If you want to Platinum it, unfortunately you won't be able to.

Appreciate the heads-up but I don't do any online multiplayer so this is definitely not an issue for me.

The last of us...holy GOD that first level is harrowing. Just so sad...

Had to put down the controller for a second or two; naughty dog are just amazing at incidental stuff that looks like it means nothing, but will have a huge impact on the game.

• Like 1

After we had the discussion last week about dwindling down our games, I picked up Gears of War 3 for $5.

I own the other two, haven't finished them, and figured I might as well fill in the trilogy.

I may play through them in the next few weeks and see if they will net any coin sold together.

My PS4 BLOD'd. Shame I won't get it back before my copy of Watch_Dogs arrives, but at least I will get it back. Meantime, I have Arkham Origins and >Macross 30 to occupy me

I feel your pain, brah. 

So I'm about 3/4 of the way through Resistance 2.  Time for a review:

In general, this game is good.  The graphics a nice, it plays fast, there are interesting enemies (some of which are huge), and there's some semblance of a storyline.  There's tons of checkpoints, which I love.  But...there are flaws too.  First, and foremost, the game is cheap and unfair as hell at many points.  Like there's one checkpoint where, if you do, you get restarted at the very beginning of a battle with 3 giant titans.  And the first thing that happens, immediately after you spawn, is you get nailed with a rocket you can't avoid.  This was actually occasionally fatal for me in my 20+ retries on that one particular spot, which is just BS.  The game is unfair and cheap in other ways too - invisible enemies and so on.  Second big flaw is one that so many other games have - you're a badass marine/killer guy but, damn, if 2-foot high walls don't just completely befuddle you.  Or the easiest of jumps.  There's one section where you have cross all these boards and leap from rock to rock or whatever.  The game between rocks is actually small enough that you should be able to WALK across it let alone jump.  Multiple times, my guess failed to make the jump.  Other times, I got found myself unable to climb over the shortest of obstacles.  Incredibly frustrating.  And the third flaw is another common one: teammates that do nothing.  You're in squads a lot of the time and your mates shoot at stuff but a lot of the times, their shots do NOTHING.  And the enemies in the game attack ONLY you.  This isn't the case on every level (there's actually a boss fight you can win without firing a single shot by letting your teammates do all the work) but it happens a LOT.  It's frustrating to see a pack of zombie creatures getting shots rained on them by your teammates, only to run through them and attack only you.  Grrr.

So, yeah, enjoying the game, but I've also had a few gaming sessions on it that I ended with "screw it, I've had enough of this BS for the night".  So far...I'm gonna say 6.5/10, maybe 7/10.

That rocket checkpoint thing sounds like a classic failure of debugging. It's not actually a bug per se but the kind of thing that can't really be right either.

There was a Star Trek Online mission in the big Romulan expansion last year that did that too where you'd spawn right into firing range of like 3 bosses, and eventually so many people complained they had to change it because it was stupid and boring.

FTL ADVANCED EDITION- I realized that FTL is like a board game. Specifically, a board game where you pilot a board game, and every space you land on starts a new board game in which you play a board game and fight other board games to get out of that board game to move on to the next board game while board games chase you. Sometimes you fight these board games, using the remains of these board games to upgrade your board game. Ultimately the end goal is to reach the last board game of the board game board game, where you pilot your board game around other board games while you attempt to reach the final board game which you fight in three stages. Every time you beat the final board game, it moves to another space in the board game so you have to back track through the board game to get to the final board game again to fight it again, and then you repeat this process one more time to beat the final board game, leader of the board games, in the board game board game with your board game. Board game.

KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO, ACT 3- I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH, but I can't recommend it until it's all out because right now it's a year between episodes. I mean, that's good, because I find it about that emotionally draining. Rural gothic surrealist adventure. So good.

PIXELJUNK SHOOTER- oh yeah, cutting edge. It was $2.50 on the Humble Store, and I loved the shit out of it every chance I got to play it on PS3. Now I'm playing it for myself and it's the best. Two joysticks and two buttons, everything feels just right. There's even nuanced moves that you can learn just by fooling around with the controls in logical ways. I bet there's something else I haven't figured out yet. That's awesome!

DARK SOULS 2- Rerolled, having a MUCH better time now. Just mid-heavy tank, with a halberd as a primary weapon and a club as a secondary. Doing a dexterity build (my original problem) seems super fucked this time around.

• Like 3

Trying to get the online trophies for GTAIV before Rockstar shuts down leaderboards and I got one thing to say: Fuck Deal Breaker.

The vehicles suck, the enemies suck and won't just fuckin' appear in the exact spot I need them, the drugs glitch out, the helicopter sucks, and my fuckin' character loves to die and fall down like a fuckin' idiot.

Why the fuck Rockstar couldn't fix the time requirements for Deal Breaker, I don't know. Make it 8 fuckin' minutes instead of 7:03 for the "Fly the Co-Op" trophy/achievement.

OK, rant over.

Played the last of us recently. Couldnt get into it after the harrowing first couple of levels. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a one mistake = insta-death horror story kind of game but FUCK CLICKERS.

and the game is going back to the rental service.

Finally got "Fly The Co Op" trophy for Grand Theft Auto IV.

Holy fuck is "Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic" ridiculous. At least over 100 things to complete to unlock a bronze trophy (or 10G if I were doing this on Xbox 360). And then $5,000,000 for Wanted trophy. Someone at Rockstar must have hated doing multiplayer.

Played the last of us recently. Couldnt get into it after the harrowing first couple of levels. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a one mistake = insta-death horror story kind of game but FUCK CLICKERS.

and the game is going back to the rental service.

I just borrowed it from a friend last week and it did take some willpower not to give up through the first few hours as Joel. Pretty boring stuff for a while, then you really have to adjust how to play when they drop you in that room full of dead jerks. Some stealth, some aggression, it's mostly about timing. I can't say I ever mastered this, but the game does payoff massively if you keep playing. Great game.